You are here

a good book on electronics- recommendations please!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: a good book on electronics- recommendations please!

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:51 pm

cloverfield wrote:thanks for these sharing! wow, the electronic kindle version is more expensive than the hardcover. i wonder why :o

I wonder that as well cloverfield - 'The Art Of Electronics' Kindle edition is priced at double the paperback version on Amazon :o

Mind you, on this web site the hardback version is £53 and quoted as £65.99 standard retail, so perhaps you are getting an absolute bargain with the Amazon paperback & hardback versions 8-)

http://www.bookdepository.com/Art-Elect ... 0521809269

EDIT: Just worked it out - the paperback and hardback versions on Amazon are 'used' copies :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Just as an FYI, in the UK ebooks are subject to VAT and paper ones aren't.
Because...

... reasons.
:headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:Just as an FYI, in the UK ebooks are subject to VAT and paper ones aren't.
Because...

... reasons.
:headbang:

reasons indeed :headbang: :protest: :thumbdown:

Simply because you download the document instead of having it printed out on sheets of paper :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby bunker » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Not sure If this is still relevant to the op given the timespan but I got the impression, rightly or wrongly that the op was pretty much a novice and some of the books mentioned here, like the brilliant Douglas Self books, aren’t really aimed at beginners. My suggestion would be to scour second hand book shops/charity shops/websites for some books on basic electronic servicing etc. I picked one up a few years ago for 50p that was brilliant, covering loads of topics from a novice point of view but with enough electrical and electronic principles and formulae that even for someone like myself who’s been dabbling since a teenager and worked for many years in a similar field found it an interesting read. I’d have to dig the book out but I remember picking up a few basically just to flick through and at charity shop prices they were real bargains.

The reason I say this is as a young kid going in Maplin and buying the Babini electronics books I still found the whole thing a big learning curve, especially some of the terminology. I still have those Babini books on my shelf and I still refer to them now for some formulae and examples and they were aimed squarely at the beginner.

If the op is reading this don’t let us put you off! Electronics is a fascinating subject that’s constantly pushing forward and can be such a rewarding hobby and topic. Just play safe!!
bunker
Regular
"Who were Wings?”  “Only the band the Beatles could have been.."

Postby RoadieChauffeur » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am

Wonks wrote:I've just noticed that the Paul Horowitz book was finally updated 3 years ago. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Electronic ... b_title_bk
Not cheap, but then few of this type of book are.

For anyone who's been eyeing up a copy of the 3rd Edition of the Art of Electronics, but been put off by the usual £50 price tag, might like to know that it is currently available for just £23.50 on Amazon...

Snap up a copy while you can!
RoadieChauffeur
Regular
Also electrician, tea boy, secretary...

Postby merlyn » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:08 pm

I'm not sure how this works but this book is available on the Internet Archive here :

https://archive.org/details/TheArtOfEle ... 3/mode/2up

The Internet Archive respects copyright so they may have come to an arrangement with Cambridge University Press.

If you find it useful, consider donating :D
merlyn
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:28 pm

It appears there are some counterfeit versions of the book floating around at low prices, as warned and described on the official website:

https://artofelectronics.net/category/news/

https://artofelectronics.net/
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby seon » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:46 am

Very interesting.
Since last year I began very interested in electronic for music and I recently started to learn electronic by myself.
Thank you for all those books recommendations.
seon

Previous