You are here

Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! :thumbup:

I have been looking at the Focusrite Scarlett series first suggested by Eddy (good pricing and audio performance it seems, in a convenient all-in-one package), and then revisited the RME website to investigate the suggestions made by Hugh and James et al (renowned driver stability, low latency performance and longevity, but at a price!)

When I looked at Hugh's RME AIO the spec sounded wonderful, but it's basically a core card with plenty of digital I/O options to which you can attach further analogue I/O. As Hugh mentions, this would be perfect to attach my Audient Mico and Lavry DA10, but this made me realise that this is exactly what my existing Emu PCI card does.

Which led me on to Dave's (ef37a) comment about investigating this Emu PCI card. Actually, as I mentioned above, the Emu PCI card still seems to be working fine - it was the external Emu Audiodock with the analogue I/O that I suspected, and have now confirmed as the culprit. Having unplugged it on Sunday, I've been using the Emu PCI card along with the Audient Mico and Lavry DA10 for A/D and D/A duties ever since with not a single hiccup!

This in turn makes me wonder whether simply buying an ADAT preamp for more analogue I/O would be the simplest (and cheapest) solution at the moment, since I've already got suitable unused ADAT I/O on the Emu PCI card. I could later buy myself an RME AIO or even James' RME Digiface USB, and still be able to connect up the Mico, DA10 and ADAT preamp.

Decisions, decisions!


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16409
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:13 am

Glad to have been of some small help Martin.
That breakout box would be even easier to tackle with freezer. Likely there is a processor in it and changing that, if it is the culprit might be tricky but worth investigating? Might be something as simple as a 78 regulator?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12144
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Ramirez » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 am

Martin Walker wrote:...This in turn makes me wonder whether simply buying an ADAT preamp for more analogue I/O would be the simplest (and cheapest) solution at the moment, since I've already got suitable unused ADAT I/O on the Emu PCI card. I could later buy myself an RME AIO or even James' RME Digiface USB, and still be able to connect up the Mico, DA10 and ADAT preamp.

Decisions, decisions!


Martin

The larger Scarlett/Clarett USB can be configured as a very nicely featured ADAT expander, giving you 8 decent preamps and 8 outputs as well as 2 independent headphone amps. It also gives you a good backup interface (or could in time become your main interface)
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 am

Martin Walker wrote:...revisited the RME website to investigate the suggestions made by Hugh and James et al (renowned driver stability, low latency performance and longevity, but at a price!)
These are only side -reasons for me choosing RME. TotalMix is the jewel that keeps me going back to RME - once you have it you do not want to live without it!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15035
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Thanks for the quick comeback n o i s e f l e ur!

Yep, if I could justify £1000 that's what probably what I'd go for (I've looked at RME on various occasions in the past, but most models invariably offer far more I/O capability than I really need).

I'll have a look at the RME Fireface UC to see what you can get for £800 though ;)

Well this is an ironic admission - after going round the houses for a week I've just ordered an RME Fireface UC :headbang:

I've heard SO many claims of low latency driver excellence, TotalMix fabulosity, and downright longevity (buy RME and you have a product that will last you to the end of time - that sort of thing ;)) that I was swayed to RME fairly quickly. However, even then the range of choices was enormous!

I like James Perrett's suggestion of the Digiface USB - comparatively low cost yet amazing expandability, but the initial low cost was offset by the extra cost of a ADAT Preamp unit to add analogue - with the lovely Audient ASP800 you were talking about £800 in total.

For a long time I was convinced by Hugh Robjohns' HDSPe AIO, which at around £500 offered a range of analogue, digital and MIDI I/O, and which I could expand with the 4-input RME AI4S-192 AIO Input Expansion, giving me RME quality/drivers for a total of around £660.

However, the crunch came when I found an outlet selling the RME Fireface UC for just £50 more, to giving me 1 x ADAT, 1 x S/PDIF coaxial, 1 x wordclock, 2 x MIDI in/out, 2 mic/line, 2 line/instrument, 4 line inputs, 6 line outputs, and headphone output, all in a tasteful 1/2 rack blue enclosure.

So, I've just ordered it - £705 inc VAT, and it will be delivered on Tuesday 10th 8-)

Thanks for all the advice folks, and a happy outcome for me! :thumbup:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16409
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:07 pm

I can't imagine you being in any way disappointed, Martin.

When TotalMix baffles you (and it baffles even the best!), then you know where I am. Once you suss it you'll never look back.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15035
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:17 pm

:clap: :thumbup: :D Sounds like a true bargain. I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.

You just need to enrol on the Elf's TotalMix Masterclass now... :lol:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28635
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Ramirez » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:06 pm

Good choice I’d say!

However, whilst I also like TotalMix very much, I also thought EMU’s Patchmix was also very flexible with lower channel counts, so I don’t know how much you’ll gain there really, unless you’re working with many outputs and submixes.

We have a MADIFace Pro with 48ins an outs on separate RME converters, and Totalmix really comes into its own with this setup, and I wouldn’t like to be without it.

With lower channel counts on other interfaces though I found I could always do what I wanted with EMU Patchmix and Focusrite Control.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Pwllheli, Cymru
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:35 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:Thanks for the quick comeback n o i s e f l e ur!

Yep, if I could justify £1000 that's what probably what I'd go for (I've looked at RME on various occasions in the past, but most models invariably offer far more I/O capability than I really need).

I'll have a look at the RME Fireface UC to see what you can get for £800 though ;)

Well this is an ironic admission - after going round the houses for a week I've just ordered an RME Fireface UC :headbang:



Thanks for all the advice folks, and a happy outcome for me! :thumbup:


Martin

OK man - don't blame us if it all goes tits up! ;)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 am

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:22 am

The Elf wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:...revisited the RME website to investigate the suggestions made by Hugh and James et al (renowned driver stability, low latency performance and longevity, but at a price!)
These are only side -reasons for me choosing RME. TotalMix is the jewel that keeps me going back to RME - once you have it you do not want to live without it!

And don't forget Digicheck!
cyrano.mac
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:37 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:And don't forget Digicheck!

No, as a fully-qualified ubergeek, I'm really looking forward to that one :ugeek: :ugeek:


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16409
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:05 pm

cyrano.mac wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:...revisited the RME website to investigate the suggestions made by Hugh and James et al (renowned driver stability, low latency performance and longevity, but at a price!)
These are only side -reasons for me choosing RME. TotalMix is the jewel that keeps me going back to RME - once you have it you do not want to live without it!
And don't forget Digicheck!
I never even so much as looked at it. Whassit do?
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15035
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:16 pm

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/support/techinfo/digicheck.php

it's a metering system integrated into Totalmix, accessed through a separate standalone program.

It provides bargraph metering (standard and peak/rms), in stereo and multichannel formats.

It provides a real-time configurable 10 to 30 band spectrum analyser.

It provides an audio vectorscope (goniometer)

It provides surround vectorscope.

It provides BS1770 loudness metering.

It reports any channel status data on digital connections.

It has a bit-meter to show wordlength, bit activity, DC offsets etc.

And pretty much everything is customisable.

It is a very useful tool...
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28635
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Your Digicheck's in the post.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10889
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Martin Walker - 8-in/8-out audio interface suggestions

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Fair enough. Can't say there's anything there I need outside of Cubase, but you never know.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15035
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext