You are here

Orchestral Reverb Use

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Orchestral Reverb Use

Postby BlindAssassin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:17 am

Hi everyone! Sorry this is a short novel. I have been a composer for 5 years now and worked on several smaller projects. Lately, I’ve been trying to learn more about mixing and production in general, as I went to school as a composer and have no background in audio production. I recently watched masterclasses from Allan Meyerson and Jake Jackson. They were both extremely helpful! I just wish they would go a little more in depth with how they use reverb. I have no concrete idea on how to properly use reverb to create orchestral depth. I used to have 5 reverb busses with the same reverbs that were set to differing wet/dry ratios from very dry to the front to wet in the back, (with a separate reverb on mastering channel) but I feel this is wrong. I’ve seen others use only two different reverb busses (one for shorter notes, one for longer) which makes sense to me. However, I don’t understand how you create the depth an orchestra has from this method. I use several mic positions built into my virtual instruments (Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire Brass and Albion, Metropolis Ark, 8dio, Cinewinds, Cinematic Strings/Brass, etc.) to place them as best I can. Shouldn’t i only be using two bus channels for reverb with the mic flexibility I have? Should I be adjusting the send knob next to the bus (I use Logic Pro X) to create depth? Any advice that can be given, would be most helpful! Sorry for the long post and thank you so much in advance!
BlindAssassin

Re: Orchestral Reverb Use

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:28 pm

BlindAssassin wrote:I used to have 5 reverb busses with the same reverbs...
Not the best way to achieve this IMO. It leads to a lot of phasey mud.

BlindAssassin wrote:...that were set to differing wet/dry ratios
For a start you should really be using send effects, not insert effects - so keep the wet dry at 100% wet.

Then take a look at this thread where we've discussed our techniques:
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68137#p626277
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Orchestral Reverb Use

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for posting that link Monsieur Elf, as it contains a lot of opinions and useful advice on this very subject - I was just about to post it myself when I saw you had already done the deed :thumbup:

Oh, and welcome to the SOS Forums BlindAssassin! 8-)

It would be useful to keep all further posts on this topic in one place for future reference, so I'll lock this new topic so the original can carry on regardless - feel free to re-post your query there BlindAssassin if you already find suitable answers in the main thread here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 37#p626276

Martin
Martin Walker