You are here

Reaper 6 is out

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Reaper 6 is out

Postby AlasdairEaston » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:44 am

Hi all. Just found out that Reaper 6 has been released. I haven't tried it yet but I'm off to download it now.

There are a few headline "what's new" items on their homepage https://www.reaper.fm/

Cheers,
Ali.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Re: Reaper 6 is out

Postby Ramirez » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm

I went in at the deep end and been running a session on it all day... so far so good!

Not many obvious changes really. Looks nicer I think.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Just remember that this is the basic platform or framework upon which new features will be placed.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:38 pm

I once tried Reaper, many many moons ago. And after running it, all the Reaper connections were listed in Cubase i/o - what's going on there. I wanted to try it again since but for it to be totally isolated from Cubase, or any other software come to that.

That said I am liking Calkwalk X3, seeing as it's free and some of the plugins are great, and it boots and shuts down in an instant, - _ am a user of Cubase10 and over thge years it has got slower, and s l o w e r and s l o w e r and in Cubase 8.5 I could easily work at 32 samples, Cubase 10 wheezes at anything less that 128 samples, so I looking for a viable alternative
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Bunk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Gordon Bennett, it's going to take my eyes a while to adjust to this :shock: :shock:
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:37 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Just remember that this is the basic platform or framework upon which new features will be placed.

That sounds interesting. Are you saying that this release is not only an upgrade but also a kind of core re-working/re-positioning to allow easier further enhancements? That would be cool. Maybe I'm reading too much into your post?

Cheers,
Ali.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:40 pm

The Bunk wrote:Gordon Bennett, it's going to take my eyes a while to adjust to this :shock: :shock:

Aye, suddenly my standard template's looking a bit too vibrant! Might need to tone down my colours a bit.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:55 am

AlasdairEaston wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:Just remember that this is the basic platform or framework upon which new features will be placed.
That sounds interesting. Are you saying that this release is not only an upgrade but also a kind of core re-working/re-positioning to allow easier further enhancements? That would be cool. Maybe I'm reading too much into your post?
That is what happened with V5. When it came out, you would be had put to it to find much if any improvements over V4, but then in short order came new MIDI tools, and notation and stretcher marks and video editing and . . . well, you get the idea!

As V6 is a far larger download, about double, it would suggest that all sorts of new routines and drivers have been added, whose potential has not yet been utilised. We shall see!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby AlasdairEaston » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Exciting times. :thumbup: It's already great, but who doesn't like shiny new features?! Hope you're right.

Cheers,
Ali.
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Looks good, and as a bonus my current licence is good for up to V6.99 :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Yikes, Reaper 6 IS bright (but not if you've selected Default 5.0 Theme as I had ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Bunk » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Yikes, Reaper 6 IS bright (but not if you've selected Default 5.0 Theme as I had ;) )

Martin

Martin, I want your babies. Thank you :bouncy: :thumbup:
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:24 pm

OneWorld wrote:I once tried Reaper, many many moons ago. ........

That said I am liking Calkwalk X3, seeing as it's free and some of the plugins are great,

This Reaper thing does seem to have a following, I might give it ago before the end of the year.

I currently have 3 cakewalks on the go - 2 pricey editions + CBB, which is messy.
Although CBB is free, I dont like the WWW only installation model.
Now that the original Cakewalk SONAR people have wandered off, my discs cannot be authenticated online but at least I have the Licence files, if needed, for a rebuild.

Whats Reaper like for MIDI compared to cakewalk (who have decades of MIDI experience ).

Hmmm, reaper is an awfully small download ????????
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Reaper is a very small download (weirdly it's 50% larger for Mac) but don't underestimate it's capability. It's also a very low load on your processor. :thumbup:
I can't really answer your midi question though as I've not used Cakewalk.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:43 pm

N i g e l wrote:Hmmm, reaper is an awfully small download ????????
That is because it gets written once.

Big packages that come from companies like Avid or Apple (ProTools or Logic) pass through many hands and so many routines get written into them. The next team to come along and try to update it with, say, a new feature, find themselves confronted with reams of interlocking code and very often disgruntled programmers that have destroyed all notes about what does what and how. In the case of ProTools, parts were written in India, then in Ukraine and then in Poland. Tyhe result is often page after page of dead and irrelevant code, some of which may perform a vital function but most of which is redundant.

Reaper is one guy heading the team and he and his team are all C++ Ninjas. The same guy who wrote version one, wrote version six.

There are other reasons it is so small, not least of which is that it is a non-destructive series of commands. If you cut a file or add a fade, you have not actually cut anything or altered any values, but you have told the SW to stop playing the file at that point or play it back at a reduced volume. This means that Reaper can wrangle far larger projects than most other DAWs on the same machine.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next