You are here

Home Studio vs Professional Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Home Studio vs Professional Studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 pm

Nah... Just record them one at a time with a click... :lol: :beamup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 am

Hiring Simon Rattle to conduct each instrument could be on the expensive side. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:15 am

I'm sure he'd do mates rates... :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:28 am

Oh I don't know, I think Rattle might be shaken by such a request.

I'll, er... I'll get my coat.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Aural Reject » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Nah... Just record them one at a time with a click... :lol: :beamup:

The number of times I've been asked to do that.....or to take people out of rooms...or to provide clicks NOW for people within an ensemble who've never used one and don't get how unnaturally difficult it is initially....

Nowt as good as clients ;) :beamup:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:22 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:
JackS wrote:Hi,

I am currently doing a dissertation for my college course and was wondering if I could get everyones thoughts on which is best and why?

Thanks

You are gonna be struggling to record a 60 piece orchestra in yer home studio.

I thought that the only people recording 60 piece orchestras nowadays were the guys making sample libraries.. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:25 pm

I thought they did them one note at a time in home studios? Don't even need a click!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby paul tha other » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:13 pm

fir me they are the same....the only thing that makes a studio a studio is the staff..if you have a great studio with a engineer that knows everything about the room and the kit ,nothing beats that..if you get on with him and he gets on with you, you have found "your studio"

ive been working in studios and the likes for 30 years..i get great results from my home studio (well for me its great)..i can take my time doing the takes .although i dont like recording my "singing" at home..i only do it when i know my neighbours are at work..

the only negitive thing i can say about home recording is this..sometimes i have to much time to think about what im doing and will sometimes go down rabbit holes and get lost or waste my time on something thats not important or just plain crap..when i find my self there, i often just switch everything off and go find something else to do

also on the differance between live and studio work is like this for me..

live ,i go on the stage with my ego in full swing

studio ,i leave my ego at the studio front door
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:13 pm

I think this is terrible actually, if a new band feels intimidated in any recording situation or studio it's not their fault, it's the studio.
It's up to the studio, engineers etc to make them feel as relaxed and creative as possible, if this isn't that case then they're in the wrong place.

Yes and no, unless you’ve got a sizeable budget then at the back of your mind you’re aware of the clock ticking.
When there’s no audience to react to your performance it’s potentially more sterile, no atmosphere.
Red light fever is a real thing, a good engineer should record the first run through just incase the band get stressed on the actual recording.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:21 pm

Nowt as good as clients ;) :beamup:

Q. How many clients does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. They’ll never need to change it, but if they do they’ll change it over and over again. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:28 pm

I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:40 pm

MOF wrote:
I know we're all different, but for me, there is no difference at all, between studio or live performances, I'm still giving a performance, the audience is just different, or just me!

A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.
Now that could just be the live atmosphere that’s psychologically affecting his judgement or there might be something in it.
It might be worth delaying going into a studio with new tracks so that it’s second nature to play them and hone them first.

You hit a quite complex point. Most of my band's song change very much when played live - some because the original recordings have no drums or bass, others because I've had different melodic guitar parts on the way me and the backing sing it has changed over time, or we have added different harmonies and melodies. So in a way it's a good idea to wait.

In another way, however, it's hard to keep the raw excitement and novelty of the first few times you play a song after making it. With a band, there's that magic moment when, after messing about a fair amount of time, finally everyone "gets" their role and finally the song clicks.. that is imho the absolutely ideal moment to record it, even if if it's not perfect and certainly a performance is more polished after the 100th time you play it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 am

On a slightly unrelated yet related note, I beleve Angel studios is closing soon which is a real shame. Maybe a tribute piece is an idea for an SOS article? It has been a great studio.

Postby John Willett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:48 pm

MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am

John Willett wrote:
MOF wrote:A mate of mine, who enjoys going to gigs, says that later live performances are often better than the original record because the band have improved on it over time.

More likely because the band did not give a "performance" in the recording - spending the time on getting it to sound "right" that they missed the most important bit - the performance.

A musician will put his/her heart and soul into performing on stage - they need to do the same in the studio to get a really great recording that the listener will want to hear again and again. :thumbup:

That's interesting, when I'm playing at a gig I'm not really there in my head, I'm sort of going through the motions.
But when I'm in "a studio" or recording at home, I'm right there, emotionally 150%
I think some people have different priorities, recordings, or performance.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext