You are here

Reaper 6 is out

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Reaper 6 is out

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:16 pm

Sorry Desmond, see above, i was talking download size rather than install size. My apologies.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 am

MIDI CC envelopes could be good, but that new theme? not sure about that.
TBQH, I'm a bit scared to download it, everything's working alright here at the mo...

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 am

Downloaded it on the work mac on Friday and ran some basic projects through just to check there were no issues with a couple of key plugins i use. :thumbup:
Then switched the theme back to v5... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:24 am

blinddrew wrote:Downloaded it on the work mac on Friday and ran some basic projects through just to check there were no issues with a couple of key plugins i use. :thumbup:

So you can switch back then?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:39 pm

James Perrett wrote:It is very easy to adjust timing using stretch markers in Reaper. You can also adjust pitch and level manually using envelopes or automatically using the supplied plug-ins.

Thanks james, that is comprehensive and unlike V-Vocal didnt crash every 5 minutes !

I downloaded & installed (took < 5 minutes !) Reaper and have had a brief play around with audio recording. All very promising although ....

Arpangel wrote:MIDI CC envelopes could be good,

Are they new ? That doesnt sound too promising for MIDI. Cakewalk started out as 12Tone's MIDI recorder so the MIDI facilities are comprehensive.

otherwise it all looks promising.
I was a bit worried about having to learn new synths & effects but Reaper seems to have found all my VSTs ( & DX's too !).
That should spread out the learning curve.

The nag box "BUY ME 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, STILL EVALUATING" is a bit keen ! Ive still weeks of evaluation left to go.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Arpangel wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Downloaded it on the work mac on Friday and ran some basic projects through just to check there were no issues with a couple of key plugins i use. :thumbup:

So you can switch back then?
You can switch themes at any point. That's just the graphical side of things. No idea how to go back to a previous version, never needed to.

N i g e l wrote:The nag box "BUY ME 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, STILL EVALUATING" is a bit keen ! Ive still weeks of evaluation left to go.
Yep, but it never does anything more than that no matter how long you take to look at it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:38 pm

N i g e l wrote:The nag box "BUY ME 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, STILL EVALUATING" is a bit keen ! Ive still weeks of evaluation left to go.

I disagree, it's a nothing compared to the crippled 'demo' versions and strict 30 day evaluation periods for almost any other DAW.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:45 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:So you can switch back then?
You can switch themes at any point. That's just the graphical side of things. No idea how to go back to a previous version, never needed to.

If you use the option to install as a standalone version you can have as many versions of Reaper on your computer as you like. On my laptop I normally use the 64 bit version but I've installed the 32 bit version as a stand-alone so that I can use Yamaha's SYXG50 VSTi more reliably. I'll probably install version 6 as a stand-alone until I'm sure that I want to keep using it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 am

James Perrett wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:So you can switch back then?

If you use the option to install as a standalone version you can have as many versions of Reaper on your computer as you like. On my laptop I normally use the 64 bit version but I've installed the 32 bit version as a stand-alone so that I can use Yamaha's SYXG50 VSTi more reliably. I'll probably install version 6 as a stand-alone until I'm sure that I want to keep using it.

I've gone back to previous versions many times, as problems have arisen. I just install them over what's there, on my Mac.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:

I disagree, it's a nothing compared to the crippled 'demo' versions and strict 30 day evaluation periods for almost any other DAW.

I think 30 days is long enough to get the gist of somthing but I dont like not being able to "save" and continue later from where I left off. Strabgely, I dont mind being interrupted every so often but I do hate waiting for uTube adverts to finish, in 5 4 3 2 1..
maybe thats it.
------------------------

Currently Im having problems getting to grips with MIDI automation of an external synth - is this an easy thing to do in Reaper ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Reaper doesn't interrupt, the nag screen displays at start up only. It is also fully functioning in every respect, and it used to be that if you continued over the 60 day evaluation it would continue to work with nowt more than a nag screen message along the lines of "you are on day 495 of your 60 day evaluation period" :D Not sure if that is still the case though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Red Bladder » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:07 pm

All sorts of wild speculation about why Reaper is both faster and has a smaller footprint and the reality is that there are many reasons, not the least of which is the use of anticipative processing. i.e. the CPU is processing commands before the programme has reached that point.

It is smaller for a variety of reasons but underlying these various reasons is company politics or rather the lack of them. Reaper's code is managed by one person - Justin Frankel - and it is my guess, that person is really good at what he does!

The other SW packages are managed by project managers and from time to time, these are changed as they move up in the world or get fired.

The effect this has is simple - with Reaper, some improvement is made and as a result, there is a bug. Let's say that the audio slips sideways by a few seconds if you do X. The Reaper developers will roll back to the last time this happened and realise where that is coming from. The person who managed the SW code in 2008 is the same person today. That provides a completely different level of understanding of what is going on. If the cause is, say, 15 lines of code, those 15 lines can be altered, rewritten or deleted.

If you are the (overworked and underpaid) Polish coder for ProTools, you have absolutely no idea where to look. The person who wrote that code in India was fired in 2011, the Ukranian person who revised that code, was fired in 2013. You could spend the next two weeks digging for the reason the audio slips sideways, or you could just write a few lines of code to put it back where it belongs. As you are paid by results (and you would like to keep your job!) and the whole operation will only add half a millisecond to the processing time, nobody will even notice the extra few lines of code. Now, every time the user does X, the programme has to go through a simple IF-THEN routine and the audio is moved to the left and then moved back again.

If that happens here and there, it is no big deal, but the reality is that it becomes more and more lines and the poor old CPU is spending more and more time, processing redundant commands and shunting data around needlessly. Nowadays, programmers (or rather subcontracted programming companies that put in the lowest bid) are paid by results. Throwing extra lines at a problem or a new feature brings results!

Programmers do not get paid extra for elegant programming!

Justin Frankel takes the long view - he knows that a programme with fewer lines of code that work faster will pay dividends over the years to come. He even writes a blog on aspects of coding and how to reduce the number of commands - http://1014.org/?article=518

It's all there for you to mug-up on, if you are into C++ compilers!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Bunk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:47 pm

N i g e l wrote:
I think 30 days is long enough to get the gist of somthing but I dont like not being able to "save" and continue later from where I left off. Strabgely, I dont mind being interrupted every so often but I do hate waiting for uTube adverts to finish, in 5 4 3 2 1..
maybe thats it.
------------------------

Are you saying you can't "save" any new work you've done? Sorry if I've misunderstood that but I don't have that issue with my upgrade which I am still "evaluating", more through laziness...I will of course when I can get my *rse into gear.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Reaper doesn't interrupt, the nag screen displays at start up only. It is also fully functioning in every respect, and it used to be that if you continued over the 60 day evaluation it would continue to work with nowt more than a nag screen message along the lines of "you are on day 495 of your 60 day evaluation period" :D Not sure if that is still the case though.

From peoples comments I believe it is still the case. Not really an issue given the amount ive spent on Cakewalk over the decades but for newcomers I can see that it looks infinitely more expensive than CBB !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:00 pm

The Bunk wrote:
N i g e l wrote:
maybe thats it.
------------------------

Are you saying you can't "save" any new work you've done? Sorry if I've misunderstood that but I don't have that issue with my upgrade which I am still "evaluating", more through laziness...I will of course when I can get my *rse into gear.

no No No Sorry ! I was meaning those issues are for other product evaluations I ve used.
Reaper "demo" is what you get with the full package.

Im not a power user, so my evaluation will be over by the end of the up coming holidays. I havent used 1/2 the facilities on my current DAW and Reaper seems to have a whole level of coding applications that seem limitless but which I may never use
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext