You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Folderol wrote:There simply must have been something wrong with the KA6 internally from the start. My one has not given the slightest sign of problems, and I've had it for years, and taken it half way round Europe for various events, as well as using it at home, and all day sessions at the last 3 SynthFest events.

Mine has not travelled (except to Will and back) but it has been used on many PC platforms: XP, 2000, W7 even Blista and always booted straight up no bother . I know of at least two working on macs and Will runs one in Linux. In the time I have had it mine has been installed on at least 5 laptops and towers.

I refuse to believe such a versatile and solid device has the operational bad history you suggest.

Ooops! How did I do that?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:46 pm

ef37a wrote:
Folderol wrote:There simply must
I refuse to believe such a versatile and solid device has the operational bad history you suggest.

Dave.

Well thats your purgative but why wold I make up this stuff ? Just because your model is solid does not mean it cant go wrong for someone else. Pete had trouble getting it to run on my pc.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Marbury wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Folderol wrote:There simply must

Dave.

Well thats your purgative but why wold I make up this stuff ? Just because your model is solid does not mean it cant go wrong for someone else. Pete had trouble getting it to run on my pc.

Woah! We are not having a pop at you mate nor doubting your veracity. We accept you have a problem but it is with YOUR sample of the KA6. I accept that you have found other accounts of problems with the interface but if you put "problems with 'XYZ' interface" into Google you will get masses of hits. All Will and I are saying is that our samples are rock solid and I for one have not seen any unsolicited problems with the KA6 on the net.

Cannot say that for Focusrite AIs, there is a thread about one in this very forum but the fact is, sell enough 'stuff' and you will get the odd lemon. ESPECIALLY stuff you connect to a computer!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:10 pm

Fair enough but we are talking as much physical hardware issues as well as software. Ie, very spongy usb hole.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Marbury wrote:Fair enough but we are talking as much physical hardware issues as well as software. Ie, very spongy usb hole.

I think we are saying that all your problems could have been down to a USB connector that was never soldered in properly in the first place. These sort of problems can be very tricky to track down at first as the connection may be pretty good and only stop working occasionally but as you use the socket more and more the connection becomes worse and the interface becomes less reliable. It can also be very difficult to actually see the problem unless you look at it under a microscope.

If it is one of the power pins that has come adrift the resistance may have increased which will cause the power supply voltage to sag whenever the device demands a high current - typically when it starts up. This will cause all kinds of strange behaviour.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am

I had much the same problem James with an Evolution MIDI keyboard controller.

Fine for a couple of years then Cubase Ess'6 started throwing wobblies*. Eventually saw that the kbd LED flickered. Soldered up the USB port and the MIDI DIN while I was in there.

Just ordered one of those kits. Thanks Mr M! Might be a load of old tat but at that price I am willing to take a chance. Will probably give it to son when he rocks up in January.

*Also had pitch problem. This turned out to be a noisy pitch bend pot and cleaing it only effected repair for a few months. Fortunately son never used the control so we just turned off pitch bend in the Cubase filters.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:47 am

I've got the same basic iron (to supplement my Maplin temp controlled soldering station) that came with a smaller kit, and it works just fine. Some of the other kit components are a bit lightweight, but they will work for a while and are fine if you only solder occasionally.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am

Wonks wrote:I've got the same basic iron (to supplement my Maplin temp controlled soldering station) that came with a smaller kit, and it works just fine. Some of the other kit components are a bit lightweight, but they will work for a while and are fine if you only solder occasionally.

Cheers Wonks, that should suit son fine. He is a very reluctant solderer!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:22 pm

ef37a wrote:'Hakko' mahap Pete? Used one, superb.

Hahah, yes, that's the brand. He swore by it all day long, although he does enough repair work to justify the investment.

Marbury wrote:I think you should remember Pete when you had my PC built, the trouble you had with the K6 not handshaking when booting up.

Vaguely, possibly, it was a good few years ago through. Were you not on a board with the first gen USB 3 implimenation and we tried a load of firmware/driver updates or am I thinking of another one? There were handshaking issues on the early implimentations, forceing windows to do a driver reload (via a port swap or forced on/off would have worked) which wasn't uncommon for a few interfaces at one time and was slowly fixed via firmware/driver updates. The suggestion of a deteriating USB port would make sense in retrospect, but it's not something that I would have started with unless it was obviously loose when I saw it.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby The Elf » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:34 pm

I'll simply add my voice saying my KA6 has been most grievously abused in its short life, yet everything is solid and it works 100% reliably. From what you say I would similarly suspect that yours has been dodgy from day 1.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Marbury » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:
ef37a wrote:'Hakko' mahap Pete? Used one, superb.

Hahah, yes, that's the brand. He swore by it all day long, although he does enough repair work to justify the investment.

Marbury wrote:I think you should remember Pete when you had my PC built, the trouble you had with the K6 not handshaking when booting up.

Vaguely, possibly, it was a good few years ago through. Were you not on a board with the first gen USB 3 implimenation and we tried a load of firmware/driver updates or am I thinking of another one? There were handshaking issues on the early implimentations, forceing windows to do a driver reload (via a port swap or forced on/off would have worked) which wasn't uncommon for a few interfaces at one time and was slowly fixed via firmware/driver updates. The suggestion of a deteriating USB port would make sense in retrospect, but it's not something that I would have started with unless it was obviously loose when I saw it.

Of course, I was just trying to get you to back me o the fact that it was playing up a long time ago. Yes, you replaced the board with the upgraded version which I still use today. What I can't understand is why, just before it completely died, the usb being lose caused the pc to crash and fail to power up unless I unplugged the PSU for a couple of mins and tried again. It did this twice.

It was 2013 when it was built but only running Reaper, Omnisphere and Ozone 7 for mastering isn't too taxing. Having said that, I need to invest in a machine that can handle good film editing like Da Vinci which this machine is limited
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:I think we are saying that all your problems could have been down to a USB connector that was never soldered in properly in the first place. These sort of problems can be very tricky to track down at first as the connection may be pretty good and only stop working occasionally but as you use the socket more and more the connection becomes worse and the interface becomes less reliable. It can also be very difficult to actually see the problem unless you look at it under a microscope.

If it is one of the power pins that has come adrift the resistance may have increased which will cause the power supply voltage to sag whenever the device demands a high current - typically when it starts up. This will cause all kinds of strange behaviour.

That diagnosis sounds very accurate in hindsight. Lets just hope a re-solder from a novice will mend it.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Marbury, you say you are getting into film editing and need a PC upgrade for that. How 'professional' are you? By that I mean, do you get a significant income from your musical efforts? If so, as I suggested before, surely a backup AI would be a good idea?

I would suggest the KA6 Mkll but maybe 'once bitten'?! Stock answer of course, if you can afford it and especially defray it on tax. get RME.

Don't want teach grannies about eggs but, if you are worried about having two different AIs on the go? Don't be. I can plug in my KA6, or an 8i6, latterly a umc 204HD and just set them up in my DAW. I can even revert to the M-A 2496 card still working in the desktop.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 pm

ef37a wrote:Marbury, you say you are getting into film editing and need a PC upgrade for that. How 'professional' are you? By that I mean, do you get a significant income from your musical efforts? If so, as I suggested before, surely a backup AI would be a good idea?

I would suggest the KA6 Mkll but maybe 'once bitten'?! Stock answer of course, if you can afford it and especially defray it on tax. get RME.

Don't want teach grannies about eggs but, if you are worried about having two different AIs on the go? Don't be. I can plug in my KA6, or an 8i6, latterly a umc 204HD and just set them up in my DAW. I can even revert to the M-A 2496 card still working in the desktop.

Dave.

Yes, I am self employed and all my earnings come from music/sfx/photography. All my new equipment is tax deductible (as was my K6) so I am not too bothered if I had to buy a new AI but I do t like waste and if I can fix it with an iron then that will do me fine as it hopefully wont give me any more problems.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:30 pm

I do not think a backup interface can been called "waste"?
You are self employed and you need your 'tools' to make a living.

No one is suggesting you junk the KA6,try to fix it but get a spare in!

PLEASE do not tell me you struggle on with one XLR mic cable? It would not be unreasonable in any way to have a spare microphone, most of the Great and Good on this forum cannot MOVE for the bloody things! Valhalla alone knows how many guitars and synths they own between them.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext