You are here

Bought myself a Christmas present!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Bought myself a Christmas present!

Postby ef37a » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
garrettendi wrote:It needs a bit of work, the mid knob isn't starting and stopping at the same point as the other knobs but should be an easy fix

If you mean the mechanical end stops of the knob are at different rotational angles to the other controls, then it's probably just a loose or slipped nut securing the pot shaft to the case -- assuming the pots are wired to the circuitry rather than mounted on a PCB. Check the construction inside the box.

But if its wired and loose or has slipped, remove the knobs, loosen the nut, reposition the pot, tighten, and refit knobs.

The knobs are probably secured to the pot shaft with recessed bolts in the side -- usually just one each, but some have two at 90degrees to each other. And they could be slotted grub screws or an Allen (hex) bolts.

When repositioning the pot, do check the internals to make sure you're not stressing the wires

Those knobs look identical to those on the HT-Dual pedal and so the single knobs will be on splines as are the wee top knobs. The lower DCon knobs will I am sure be secured with a ~2mm Acrflats slotted grub screw.
The pots will almost certainly be soldered to the PCB and I will bet be the very same ones mechanically if not in value and law as those in the pedal.

Note! Do not use screwdrivers to prise off tight knobs! Use a very strong thread, dental floss is ideal and rig it to pull symetrically so as not to bend anything. Floss will also not scratch metalwork.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:45 pm

https://reverb.com/uk/p/marshall-guvnor ... rce=google

No, it's really nothing like mine. That's gotta be 4x what I paid for it.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Yup, there are at least two incarnations of the Guv'ner pedal. I don't know how the mk1 and mk2 compare sound wise but I can't see the mk1 being 4 times as good as the mk2...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yup, there are at least two incarnations of the Guv'ner pedal. I don't know how the mk1 and mk2 compare sound wise but I can't see the mk1 being 4 times as good as the mk2...

From Reddit I hear the second one has an additional knob for “Deep” as well as less high end than the original
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Definitely no deep knob. I think back in the day it was the effects loop that I found appealing. That and the fact it is built like a tank. I still have the box which might give a clue as to what I paid but I'm sure it wasn't much. Hesseys in Liverpool I think, sadly long gone now.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:58 pm

I still have my original Guv'nor wot I bought from new when they first came out. Haven't used it for ages.

Those Reverb prices look very hopeful. They went for between £40-£50 when I last looked (maybe 6 months ago). Obviously rarer abroad than in the UK, which puts the foreign prices up, then UK asking prices follow those.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby garrettendi » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:48 am

Finally given this a run through the last couple of days,

Through my Peavey Envoy amp it gets nicely into Marshall tone...Very tasty! Need to drive it further with a clean boost though.

As an "amp sim" has mixed results. Put an OCD clone in front of it as a clean boost, then the GV-2 into my UMC204HD then into Reaper with the TPA-1 power amp and a Marshall 1960 impulse response. Sounded thin and very very bassy, Bit disappointing, but then when I put Melda MEqualizer before the TPA-1 with bass, high mids and highs boosted, and the low mids cut slightly, it sounded VERY Marshally,

Bit disappointed how better it sounds than the JCM800 sim I have in my HeadCase plugin (an oldie but a goodie). Always thought it sounded great but now it sounds a bit brittle,

Ah well, Good pedal!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Previous