You are here

Neutrik Silent Jacks

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Neutrik Silent Jacks

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 pm

I've been a great fan of these for years but I've just had my second one where the switch has failed (of half a dozen in light but regular use) and left the cable permanently silent. Has anybody else had issues, it not a major problem 'cos I always carry a spare but they ain't cheap either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Neutrik Silent Jacks

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:15 pm

I’ve got a couple, one angled one straight. Minimum 5 years old with no problems but, given their mechanical nature, the failure rate must be several orders higher than a standard jack.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 pm

All my leads bar one have silent jacks on them. Never had any problem with them. Oldest must be about 3 years old now, so not a huge length of time for a cable. But even if you do have to replace a jack after a few years, its still worth it to me just to not have that buzz when changing guitars.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks you two, that sums up my thoughts really. I'll just replace the duff one and move on. They are very convenient, especially at open mic nights :headbang:

Another thought, I've had a couple of occasions over the years when the silent jack simply has not worked in a particular acoustic guitar, I put it down to the way the guitar activated it's DC supply (the first instance the jack sleeve had a dint in it) and swapped ends with the cable which solved the problem but I'm wondering if it was just the first sign of a jack failing.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:18 pm

It's probably more the amount the jack is inserted into the guitar if it's an end-pin jack. Standard guitar jacks are all pretty similar, but on an acoustic end-pin jack with the screw-on strap button, the amount the jack plug goes in can vary a bit. If the barrel really needs to move back into the guitar by 1mm or so to allow full insertion and compression of the moveable collar on the jack, then the silent jack won't work properly. The spring on the collar keeps the jack feeling tight, but if it's not in far enough, then you won't break the ground link in the jack.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:24 am

I bet Neutrik would send you a spare.

Some years ago I bought a J-J cable from Maplin which purpoted to use Neutrik jacks (not the Silent ones). They were nothing like!

I sent Neutrik a photo of the packaging and they sent me back a very nice letter thanking me for the information together with a 5mtr Klotz cable with a silent plug one end!

Don't know what happened but I bet they kicked someone's A at Maplin HQ!

Re plugs and powering electronics? This can fail due to tolerances. A TRS jack with sleeve and ring linked SHOULD work but often doesn't due to minute diffence in the relative contact positions.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:02 am

Wonks wrote:It's probably more the amount the jack is inserted into the guitar if it's an end-pin jack. Standard guitar jacks are all pretty similar, but on an acoustic end-pin jack with the screw-on strap button, the amount the jack plug goes in can vary a bit. If the barrel really needs to move back into the guitar by 1mm or so to allow full insertion and compression of the moveable collar on the jack, then the silent jack won't work properly. The spring on the collar keeps the jack feeling tight, but if it's not in far enough, then you won't break the ground link in the jack.

The spring in the collar is so soft I can't imagine that causing a problem but the insertion distance (ooh-err missus) certainly would, thanks Wonky. In this case the switch mechanism has definitely failed though, a squirt of DeOxit seemed to fix it for a couple of minutes but it's died again.

ef37a wrote:I bet Neutrik would send you a spare.

Some years ago I bought a J-J cable from Maplin which purpoted to use Neutrik jacks (not the Silent ones). They were nothing like!

I sent Neutrik a photo of the packaging and they sent me back a very nice letter thanking me for the information together with a 5mtr Klotz cable with a silent plug one end!

Don't know what happened but I bet they kicked someone's A at Maplin HQ!

Re plugs and powering electronics? This can fail due to tolerances. A TRS jack with sleeve and ring linked SHOULD work but often doesn't due to minute diffence in the relative contact positions.

Dave.

These are TS guitar jacks, and most of the ones I have were bought from Maplin......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:07 pm

I have 2 Neutrik Silent Jacks, no problems after ~5 years light home use.

Sam Spoons wrote: the silent jack simply has not worked in a particular acoustic guitar, I put it down to the way the guitar activated it's DC supply

If the guitar electronics are turned on by insertion of a mono jack, it may be that the guitar uses a stereo TRS socket wire thus

T: signal
R: circuit -ve
S: battery -ve

:idea:

If you plug a [mono] extension lead into the guitar 1st (to power it up ) and then use the silent jack, all might be silently wonderfull ?
N i g e l
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Yes that's how they usually work IME and they rely on the sleeve of a TS jack to connect R and S. The Silent jacks I use are TS (do they make a TRS version? I suspect not). No idea why they don't work 100% of the time but I think Wonks' idea the most likely explanation, the tip of the plug is fully engaged before the switch collar is fully depressed.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Sorry! Twas I that chucked TRS plugs into the mix!

What I meant was. IF you are forced to use a TRS plug with a power switching jack it might not work or work reliably because of the tolerances of the jack and plug contact spacing.

I have had super tight XLR connections in the last few years. Never did 20 years ago and before.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:19 pm

The only times you'd ever want to use a TRS jack with a guitar is either a) because it's got a stereo output on a single jack or b) you are powering the preamp on an acoustic from an external supply via the guitar lead. Otherwise you'd never think of using a TRS jack on an electric or an acoustic.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Wonks wrote:The only times you'd ever want to use a TRS jack with a guitar is either a) because it's got a stereo output on a single jack or b) you are powering the preamp on an acoustic from an external supply via the guitar lead. Otherwise you'd never think of using a TRS jack on an electric or an acoustic.

No, I agree you wouldn't. UNLESS it is all you had to hand!

(Like when son had buggered off to the Labout club with the last of my TS cables!)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 am

ef37a wrote:
Wonks wrote:The only times you'd ever want to use a TRS jack with a guitar is either a) because it's got a stereo output on a single jack or b) you are powering the preamp on an acoustic from an external supply via the guitar lead. Otherwise you'd never think of using a TRS jack on an electric or an acoustic.

No, I agree you wouldn't. UNLESS it is all you had to hand!

(Like when son had buggered off to the Layabout club with the last of my TS cables!)

Dave.

FTFY :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster