You are here

Korg Arp 2600 in 2020

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Korg Arp 2600 in 2020

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:29 pm

So JMJ has just mentioned in a youtube video that Korg are currently in the process of doing a reissue of the 2600 which should be out early next year. OOh err missus!

Like the Odyssey, they are working with the original design team, but unlike the Oddy, this one will be full sized. Which is nice.

(actually, the interesting thing is that his preference is for the greyface model doncherknow...)

:)

[Note: The title of this topic has been edited by Forum Admin on 02 Mar 2020, to remove the "next year" reference as we are now in "next year" ;-) ]
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Korg Arp 2600 next year

Postby IAA » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:02 pm

Oh my! :crazy: :crazy:

This is the one I would surely have to get. No ifs or buts. And done with the original team well that’s my piggy bank running for the hills....

:D :D
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:30 pm

If true, let's hope that Korg improve on the original's woeful build quality, matched only by the equally 'cardboard and glue' Pro-Soloist!

I always felt that the Odyssey seemed like 75% of a 2600, for 25% of the price, and easier to live with too. But, yeah... I always coveted one!

Given that Behringer have also been showing development of their 2600 this could be an interesting scrap. For what I paid for my KArp Odyssey I could have had four Behringer Odysseys, complete with digital effects, sequencer and light-up controls. I won't be as quick to make a second purchase...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:56 pm

This is fantastic news, I'll be getting one, just thought I'd mention it, as obviously Korg would appreciate a star endorsement.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:48 pm

The Elf wrote:Given that Behringer have also been showing development of their 2600 this could be an interesting scrap.

...my thoughts exactly...

I too have oft pined for a 2600, and will watch developments with interest,
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:55 pm

This is very interesting news. I've got the Korg desktop version, and didn't really care that it was smaller than the original panel layout – consider it a benefit, really, for the space I have. If they made a 2600 in that format I'd be all over it. Not sure I could house a full size one, and if they're going with the build and therefore pricing of their full-size Oddy models, I'll probably have to wait for Behringer instead. :/
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:17 pm

I really, REALLY, *TRULY* hope we don't get any of that miniaturisation nonsense with either version - sorry Scribe! :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Elf, have you played with the Korg desktop Oddy? I think you have the full size, yes? The sliders are 40mm travel, compared to 45mm on the original/full-size – which is still favourable compared to Roland's 30mm travel on their 80s classics. They're a little closer together as well, but not so much it's awkward I think. Having the two scales side by side, the difference is quite obvious, but in isolation I don't think it cramps operation at all. Only those daft PPC things feel a bit small, but I don't like using 'em regardless of how big they are. The main operational difference I noticed with the Korg reissues was the quality of the sliders, they're much better on the full size model.

Different matter when you've got that awful semi-mini-key keyboard stuck on the front, mind. Can't stand that. But the module version has been fine for me, and I'd be fine with a slightly reduced 2600.

As long as they don't make as much of a hash of the build as they did with the MS-20 mini, that is.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:36 pm

The Elf wrote:Given that Behringer have also been showing development of their 2600 this could be an interesting scrap.

I'm afraid that was my first thought as well :beamup:

Behringer have in my opinion gained a lot of credibility in the last year or so with their releases, audio quality and price points compared to the competition. Their tactics still hugely split public opinion, but this might be the first real head to head contest between two big players at the same time, rather than a re-visiting of a major product that's no longer in production.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Elf, have you played with the Korg desktop Oddy?
I'll admit I haven't, but I was very tempted by it until the FS keyboard version arrived. You're correct in that it's those contemptible mini keyboards that irk me most.

Those PPCs are useless on any version - new or old! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 am

The Elf wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Elf, have you played with the Korg desktop Oddy?
I'll admit I haven't, but I was very tempted by it until the FS keyboard version arrived. You're correct in that it's those contemptible mini keyboards that irk me most.

Those PPCs are useless on any version - new or old! :lol:

I think PPC's were done simply because they didn't want to be like Moog and use wheels.
I hate PPC's too, but there's a bloke, Chick Corea I think he's called, bit of a keybaoard player on the quiet, I've seen him use them to good effect.
They have to make this 2600 polyphonic, if they don't I'm going to cry.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:07 am

Arpangel wrote:They have to make this 2600 polyphonic, if they don't I'm going to cry.
Again, I very much hope not. As original for me!

Arpangel wrote:I think PPC's were done simply because they didn't want to be like Moog and use wheels.
I hate PPC's too, but there's a bloke, Chick Corea I think he's called, bit of a keybaoard player on the quiet, I've seen him use them to good effect.
Yep, I have a friend who is pretty adept with them too. It can be done.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:42 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:They have to make this 2600 polyphonic, if they don't I'm going to cry.

Arpangel wrote:I think PPC's were done simply because they didn't want to be like Moog and use wheels.
Yep, I have a friend who is pretty adept with them too. It can be done.

I've done stuff with an original 2600, and for some reason it responds very well to feedback loops, maybe it's just the signal flow and how it's laid out, but that's what I used to use it for most of the time, really unpredictable unstable feedback loops, beautiful screaming sounds.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:32 am

Absolutely, I’d like it to be practically as the model D reissue from Moog, only a couple of tweaks, which in fairness were often done to the original.

Let Behringer do the poly version!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:39 pm

The Elf wrote:contemptible mini keyboards

This should be the official name.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Next