You are here

Home Studio

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Home Studio

Postby drowsy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:44 am

Hey I'm here as a noobie don't know much about studio equipment and have decided to step it up a level from recording on my phone to a microphone..

I found this pack..

https://www.amazon.com.au/Home-Studio-V ... text&psc=1

Does it have everything I need to record voice over beats?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Drowsy.
drowsy

Re: Home Studio

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:29 am

Basically yes, I'd hang a duvet or two behind you when recording and you're set to go.

It won't be the best sounding vocal recording rig but it should get the job done while you learn how. However it may be possible to either do it cheaper or better for the same money.

Search for "Behringer umc22" and "Shure SM58" in Amazon (links below) and you could save $100, it maybe doesn't look as impressive but the quality will almost certainly be better. You can easily substitute an extra duvet for the reflection filter (which will probably work better too though it's less convenient). Assuming some kind of Hip-Hop or other dance genre and the SM58 is a popular mic for that style, work close to the mic as you would on a live show and don't be discouraged when your early efforts don't sound like your favourite artist. It takes time to learn how to record well so come back when you are up and running and ask for advice on specifics.

Welcome to the forum.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Behringer-UMC22-BEHRINGER-U-PHORIA/dp/B00FFIGZF6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=156AAQGI1HUB5&keywords=behringer+umc22&qid=1576487703&s=electronics&sprefix=behringer+%2Celectronics%2C279&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com.au/Shure-SM58-LC-Cardioid-Microphone-Zippered/dp/B00GI2L9KO/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=shure+SM58&qid=1576487894&s=electronics&sr=1-7-catcorr
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:44 am

I would steer clear of that package like it was radioactive.

Sam might not have my experience of the **** end of the market but none of the 3 major items in that ad inspire confidence.

The microphone is of the 'BM-800' stamp and I have had two. Mine worked quite well but are noisier than a modest interface and a dynamic. The BM and their varianta also suffer apalling (no!) QC and it is likely the one you get won't work well or at all.

The 'reflection filter' is likely a ripoff of the real things and will probably make things worse.

Finally the mixer. One mic input is of no use to anyone except maybe a podcaster. I would also bet it is a bog standard 16 bit mixer of the early type and they are known to be noisy.

So, buy a Behringer interface with TWO mic inputs. Buy a Sure SM58 or if the cash won't stretch, a Prodipe TT1 at about 1/3 the price. Even the Behringer XM8500 at $20 would likely be better than the BM.

You will need an XLR mic cable $10, a basic mic stand $20 and some closed back headphones. $20 Sennheisers will get you started.
Then get busy with the duvets!

Sam, just saw your link to the UM single mic AI. I am sorry but I have read so many times that people get a one lunged AI and only a month or two later wish they had spent that wee bit more.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:55 am

There's nothing in that kit that inspires confidence. You can do better for your money - and the above post would be a good place to start.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 am

ef37a wrote:Sam, just saw your link to the UM single mic AI. I am sorry but I have read so many times that people get a one lunged AI and only a month or two later wish they had spent that wee bit more.

Dave.

No argument with that normally but the OP in this case wants to record vocals over beats so may be unlikely to ever need a second mic input. Only he knows though so it's quite possible you are right in this case too.

BTW Dave, I have also inhabited the bottom feeding strata of the recording and live sound world most of my life, only climbing a couple of small steps up from that in the last 10-15 years so I know where you are coming from.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:26 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
ef37a wrote:Sam, just saw your link to the UM single mic AI. I am sorry but I have read so many times that people get a one lunged AI and only a month or two later wish they had spent that wee bit more.

Dave.

No argument with that normally but the OP in this case wants to record vocals over beats so may be unlikely to ever need a second mic input. Only he knows though so it's quite possible you are right in this case too.

BTW Dave, I have also inhabited the bottom feeding strata of the recording and live sound world most of my life, only climbing a couple of small steps up from that in the last 10-15 years so I know where you are coming from.

No argument from me either Sam but so often peeps think "oo! Just need one mic so one input. Two reasons that is wrongish..

The one mic AIs are generally of THE lowest quality and have next to no frills.
Then, it is never long before the person realizes that a second mic would be very useful for an instrument or just to sing along with another bod. Oh! Three things! Audio is now almost relentlessly two channels. The step up to two mic pres is not great in cost but massive in versatility.

I take your point Sam that you came from lowly beginnings but I am still there! Plus the cheap end of the market has become REALLY cheap in the last two years or so and while there is some pretty good stuff there is a lot more tat. The BM mics are a case in point. IF you get a good one they are not bad, amazing in fact for 20 quid and if you want a capacitor on a fairly loud source ok, but many are poor to useless.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:39 am

I'd forgotten how cheap those BM700's were, make $399 (even AUS $) sound expensive for that package......

With stuff like the Berry USB interfaces and such we are very lucky these days, when I were a lad..... etc...... The trick is to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Very pleased Berry U Phoria 204 HD buyer here, sounds excellent, get an SM57/58 and and you're only £150 down.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 pm

Arpangel wrote:Very pleased Berry U Phoria 204 HD buyer here, sounds excellent, get an SM57/58 and and you're only £150 down.

This old brain does not compute? My 204HD was £77 inc vat/pp.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby jaminem » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:55 pm

I really wouldn't buy that, not only is it poor quality it looks radically overpriced and unless your plugging into the analogue input of your phone...incompatible...and even then you may struggle to monitor the beats and your voice over the headphones without some sort of adaptor

Assuming you have an iPhone, I would be looking at something like this...

https://focusrite.com/ios-audio-interfa ... olo-studio

But to be honest, recording vocals over beats on a smartphone, while possible is unlikely to be a hugely satisfying experience, do you have a desktop or laptop you can use?

In which case the above still works but I would also look at the Focsurite Solo Studio, or the Rode NT1-Ai - they are ALL cheaper than the link you have provided above, are made by 'proper' pro audio manufacturers, will come with decent bundled software and will be of a much higher quality.

As others have said - you don't need the filter, just use duvets (or record infront of some thick curtains!) but each of those options give you enough financial room for a mic stand etc...

If all that is too scary, (and you need Android support) then consider building something around this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multimedia-iRi ... th=1&psc=1
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Why use a phone?
There can surely be few people today that have a smart phone but not some sort of computer?
Even the most basic of machines will allow two track recording at 44.1kHz and 24 bits. Windows 7 or later will be fine.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:25 pm

ef37a wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Very pleased Berry U Phoria 204 HD buyer here, sounds excellent, get an SM57/58 and and you're only £150 down.

Dave.

I think he means just you've spent around £150 overall. But drowsy is in Australia, where most stuff is a bit more expensive than here.

£150 is currently around AUD$270 (based on £1=AUD$1.8).

Based on Aus Amazon prices, SM58 = AUD$160, 204HD = AUD$186, so that's AUD $346. Of course, you might get things a bit cheaper shopping around, but not much. Then you still need a mic stand and a mic lead. You should be able to fit all that in for around AUD$400 total. Avoid eBay and used SM58s, as so many are Chinese fakes.

You would then have a decent recording set-up for hip/hop/rap style vocals.

Yes, you can spend more on a vocal condenser mic (a Rode would be the obvious choice), but that can come later.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jaminem » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:42 pm

ef37a wrote:Why use a phone?
There can surely be few people today that have a smart phone but not some sort of computer?
Even the most basic of machines will allow two track recording at 44.1kHz and 24 bits. Windows 7 or later will be fine.

Dave.

Actually that's probably my bad, when the OP said step it up to a mic instead of recording on my phone, I took it to mean a mic INTO his phone - if this is the case, then the iRig is probably the best bet, the Behringer/SM58 recommendations will NOT work, since that device does not support audio in and out on iOS or android as far as I can see.

If the intention is to step up to a microphone/Computer based recording system then the other recommendations are still valid...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:34 pm

ef37a wrote:

Dave.

I paid "about" £70 for my 204, what's a 58? about £80?

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:15 pm

SM58, £87 so about £164 which translates into somewhere around $320 Aus. No idea how Oz taxes/Duty will affect that though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:01 pm

GST (Aus VAT) is normally 10%, import duties are similar to here. But smaller overall sales volumes, spread out cities and no big music chains means that there are no really big purchasers to get the big bulk discounts. Plus shipping is more expensive. So prices for music gear is normally at least 30% higher than in the UK, sometimes nearly 100% higher for US-made guitars if the AUD$ is low.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853