You are here

Low frequency noise analysis

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Low frequency noise analysis

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm

I lost track (see what I did there?) of the Garrard decks after the SP 25 and 2025TC.

This wa a 'few' years ago :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Folderol wrote:I lost track (see what I did there?) of the Garrard decks after the SP 25 and 2025TC.

This wa a 'few' years ago :lol:

Woah, I looked up some images and it seems that the one I used was a 2025TC. At least it looked very similar, four speeds, two arms, red selector..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby jimjazzdad » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:...As I said, VLF sound can travel a very long way... And doubly so if you're near large areas of water.
I live 'outside of town' on the shores of a large bay. A couple of summers ago I thought I had developed a hearing problem - when I put my ear on the pillow after a night of mixing, I distinctly heard a very low level thrumming. Next night I gave my ears a break from the studio and still heard the VLF noise when I went to bed. This continued for more than a month; it was starting to drive me mad, not to mention the insomnia. Then I found out that there was roadwork going on at night, five miles away across the bay. This included using the large vibrating rollers to compact the road bed. Eventually the work was completed and my hearing 'condition' was cured. In our modern world, all sorts of pollution is ever-present...noise pollution...light pollution...maybe Greta can champion some of these causes too?
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 pm

They work on your roads AT NIGHT!?

Never catch on over here, too bloody logical.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:48 pm

They work on the roads outside our house at night too - 'cos it's the only time anyone dare try to stand in the road.

Most recent occasion was a mobile blast furnace at 1am while they renewed all the double yellow lines around the entrances/exits of the nearby roundabout.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Ah! Just last week I acquired and used a Garrard turntable for next to nothing, to use as a prop for the lyrics video of my band's next song, due next Friday.

I saw a programme about Star wars last night, the props guy bought some old flash bulb holders from a photographic shop and with a few add ons made them into the light sabres.
Regarding the OP I too had well over a week of intermittent low frequency noise where I live. I posted it on our village’s Facebook page but no one else got back to me. I don’t think I was imagining it though.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote:They work on the roads outside our house at night too - 'cos it's the only time anyone dare try to stand in the road.

Most recent occasion was a mobile blast furnace at 1am while they renewed all the double yellow lines around the entrances/exits of the nearby roundabout.

Rob

You would think you would not need double yellows around a roundabout! Who would be daft enough to park there?

Mind you, they ignore the DYs on the junctions at the primary school bottom of my street and all that yellow paint on box junctions is wasted a lot of the time, especially at this time of year.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote:Most recent occasion was a mobile blast furnace at 1am while they renewed all the double yellow lines around the entrances/exits of the nearby roundabout.

Rob

We've just had the DYs re-painted where I work today. They said it would be loud but, Gordon Bennett, it was deafening. I was awaiting a barrage of complaints from our neighbours which fortunately never happened; but the thought of that work being done at night just doesn't bear thinking about...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Apparently there is the "world wide hum" which not every one can hear.
(not every one is a musician !)

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... -of-you-do
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Is it at 432 Hz ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:13 pm

I suffer an LF hum every summer, most noticeably at night.
... It's the next door neighbours ceiling fan :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:26 pm

Folderol wrote:I suffer an LF hum every summer, most noticeably at night.
... It's the next door neighbours ceiling fan :(

Aaargh! :crazy:

They may find it cool (see what I did there?), but it would be most annoying to anyone within earshot who doesn't benefit from the soothing airflow :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous