You are here

Can't Install NI Komplete Ultimate 12 on Windows 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Can't Install NI Komplete Ultimate 12 on Windows 10

Postby 2pods » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Brand new laptop from Scan . Intel I9, 64gb ram, 1tb ssd etc. All tweaked for audio by them.

Installed Cubase 10 pro no problem. Insert K12U disc. Run native access, which updated. It started again, I filled in the log in, but the "Enter" radio button isn't responding.

I had installed and ran as admin, switched off AV, and one drive etc. Downloaded new version of Native Access directly from NI website, but still nothing.

Some posts on the NI forum claim a new windows 10 install is needed, but if I do that I've probably lost all the audio tweaks.
I did take an Acronis image, but I'm wondering if it will be worth doing, as that still might not work. NI also are advising to update windows 10, but it's probably the dreaded 1909 update that's screwing it up in the first place. ...........and there's still permanent disk activity which I can't track down, but I'd rather have Komplete working.
Any ideas ?
2pods
Poster

Re: Can't Install NI Komplete Ultimate 12 on Windows 10

Postby Agharta » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:17 am

You are currently running 1909?
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jaminem » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 am

I just did a clean install of 1909 and was able to install Komplete 12 Ultimate successfully, so it’s possible....

I didn’t use the disk at all, just downloaded native access direct, logged on and away it went....?
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby 2pods » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:22 am

Currently running 1909. Install is as arrived from Scan. Tried downloading Native Access and running that, but it hangs after entering my log in.
2pods
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:38 am

Does this involve using a web browser to log in? If so, it is probably a quirk of the browser. Try loading a different one, say Chrome if you are using Firefox.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Sorry, but it's a new one on me. I've just checked both of my test benches and I'm running Kontakt via Native access on both with them fully updated 1909 builds.

Is the AV windows native or third party? I've seen a few clients be so aggressive that you can't block or disable them fully without full removal which having done just that in the past it's solved me some login issues on other platforms before. If it's windows own native MSE solution, then that shouldn't be impacting it.

The client login is based in it's own app and if it's happening after you enter your details, it would suggest that it's not completing the handshake portion of the connetion process with the remote server.

Have you run through all the suggestions on this thread, there seems to be a number that might be worth trying.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... ess-en-us-
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby 2pods » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:50 pm

AV is MS's Win10 own.

The log in box just seems to hang there. I don't even think it gets as far as hand shaking, it seems more like it's just not working.

It's a new one on me too as I've installed on my desktop and previous laptop with no problems. I've raised it with NI, so I'll see if they come up with something
2pods
Poster

Postby 2pods » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Sorry Pete.
Yeah, tried all that. No doubt more mischief cooked up by Windows Update.
2pods
Poster

Postby Smellthevalve » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:30 am

Just a shot in the dark but I was able to resolve an update issue by using control panel / programs and features / turn on features / select dot net framework 3.5 (legacy)
Smellthevalve
Frequent Poster

Postby 2pods » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Worth a try .

Thanks
2pods
Poster

Postby 2pods » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Smellthevalve wrote:Just a shot in the dark but I was able to resolve an update issue by using control panel / programs and features / turn on features / select dot net framework 3.5 (legacy)

I don't seem to have this installed.

Still no answer from NI :cry:
Don't know what to do now. Wonder if it has anything to do with this constant disk activity ?
2pods
Poster

Postby 2pods » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Think I've sorted it.

Yes, it's that "Killer" network app. Stopped it from loading at startup.
Does this need to run, and do I really need it ?

Pete ?

I'd still like to know what this constant disk activity is. AV isn't running. Neither is anything apart from the realtek audio app.
2pods
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm

There is a known windows bug that relates to that disc usage maxing out. It afflicts my wife's laptop and has so far resisted a complete re-install. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:29 pm

2pods wrote:Yes, it's that "Killer" network app. Stopped it from loading at startup.
Does this need to run, and do I really need it ?

Pete ?

From what I can see, no. It looks to be management and network tuning software for the gamers. If you remove it, it should pass all management back over to windows. Interesting to see it straight out blocking another program, I've not come across that one before.

When you get a moment could you PM me the invoice or build number (or anything I can track this off, like your e-mail address), which will allow me to look up the serial number of the one you have there. We source these from both the main factory in Asia, but also from a couple of local distros when we run short of stock.

My system has a few varients on our backend (i.e. ready for us to order) but all of them explicitly list the Intel AC8260 Wifi and BT card. It's possible they've upgraded us due to a lack of intel cards at the time, although they really should give us a heads up on this sort of thing. I need to get in contact with whichever branch sent us this and get them to knock it off.

Also, if you want us to sort you out a replacement AC8260 just let me know. If the Killer is otherwise working fine for you, certainly keep it as it's a higher performing card, but I do fully get that the Intel is just fit and forget.

2pods wrote:I'd still like to know what this constant disk activity is. AV isn't running. Neither is anything apart from the realtek audio app.

Have you fitted any kind of mechanical drive (internal or connected externally), or is it solid state everything right now?

I ask, as the disk indexing service is known to thrash mechancial disks until fully indexed.
https://www.online-tech-tips.com/comput ... al-drives/

If you have you have got an attached mechanical, follow the above guide to turn it off.
It might be worth just turning it off at the top level (so all drives) to see if it stops it, if it does check them one by one until you have the culprit.

It's also goes into fully disabling search indexing at the bottom of the article, depending on how much you care about Windows self search functionality, you may wish to tweak that too.

As a realated side note: https://www.voidtools.com

The above is a third party window drive indexing and search tool that doesn't thrash your drive and is as quick (if not quicker) and more comprehensive than the inbuilt windows search tools.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby 2pods » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Pete

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll PM the stuff now (Sunday)
What's involved in fitting the Intel card, I take it it's back to base ?

No mechanical disks. I fitted 2 x 1tb Samsung EVOs (a 850 I had, and a new 860) to go along with the fitted Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus.

Hope everyone had a good crimbo , and a happy new year when it comes
2pods
Poster