You are here

Best structured approach for learning ProTools for complete beginner (non-EDM focus, please)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best structured approach for learning ProTools for complete beginner (non-EDM focus, please)

Postby gr8ful2play » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Been reading SOS for awhile, but first post here. Looking forward to learning from you all.

I'm a total beginner to recording, but for a variety of reasons I've settled on beginning by learning ProTools. I understand the learning curve is a bit more steep than other platforms, but it makes sense for my long term objectives from a DAW.

I tend to work best with a more structured approach to learning, but I'm not quite prepared to throw down the cost of the Berklee courses. I don't mind paying for courses, just not quite as much as the Berklee stuff.

Also, I have zero interest in an EDM-focused course since I'm a guitarist and will likely be recording bands.

Bonus if this learning program also includes teaching recording techniques (though I feel that stuff can perhaps be learned in a more ad hoc "as-needed" approach).

I'll be recording thru an Antelope Discrete 8 Synergy Core on a relatively new iMac with some pretty decent mics if it matters or if you're just curious.

Room is pretty sweet and working on getting it treated. So now just looking for best somewhat structured approaches to learning ProTools recording, mixing and mastering.

Cheers!
gr8ful2play
New here

Re: Best structured approach for learning ProTools for complete beginner (non-EDM focus, please)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Personally I recommend Mike Senior's books Recording Secrets for the Small Studio and the companion Mixing Secrets.
I'd also recommend contacting either The Elf or Zukan to discuss a (very reasonably priced) private tuition session or two.

For the record, I am not affiliated with any of the above etc etc etc etc etc - but I am a happy customer. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Best structured approach for learning ProTools for complete beginner (non-EDM focus, please)

Postby CS70 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:13 pm

gr8ful2play wrote:I'm a total beginner to recording, but for a variety of reasons I've settled on beginning by learning ProTools. I understand the learning curve is a bit more steep than other platforms, but it makes sense for my long term objectives from a DAW.

First of all, understand that in recording the DAW is a very small and quite insignificant part. At least the major ones are largely equivalent. I can see why choosing Protools and it's a good working platform, and for the specifics about how to do what you want to do you will find a gazillion tutorials and manuals.

For finding what you want to do, I absolutely second Drew's suggestion. Mike's book is exactly the primer to get you started from scratch to at least understanding what you're supposed to do.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby gr8ful2play » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:20 pm

CS70 wrote:
gr8ful2play wrote:I'm a total beginner to recording, but for a variety of reasons I've settled on beginning by learning ProTools. I understand the learning curve is a bit more steep than other platforms, but it makes sense for my long term objectives from a DAW.

First of all, understand that in recording the DAW is a very small and quite insignificant part. At least the major ones are largely equivalent. I can see why choosing Protools and it's a good working platform, and for the specifics about how to do what you want to do you will find a gazillion tutorials and manuals.

For finding what you want to do, I absolutely second Drew's suggestion. Mike's book is exactly the primer to get you started from scratch to at least understanding what you're supposed to do.

Yes, the fact that there are a gazillion tutorials and manuals is EXACTLY why I'm looking for a more structured & methodical learning approach, preferably video-based. I will definitely pick up the books though.

Any suggestions on courses?
gr8ful2play
New here

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:43 pm

In video, no, I don't have any.

But I would suggest to simply read Mike's book and try stuff in parallel (first with your room and monitoring then with whatever DAW you have). If I recall well, my feeling was that it was pretty much the intention with which he wrote it.

It does show things in a very structured, sequential manner - way more structured than a actual session is (at least for me) - which is incredibly beneficial to really understand why you want to do something.

For the "gazillions of videos" to which I was referring to, I had in mind the small trivialities that really depend on your DAW of choice, such as "where's the button to invert polarity" or "how do I create an insert".. the buttons to push and clicks to do vary quite a bit between DAWs but all that information is easy to retrieve.

Maybe others can come with a video equivalent of Mike's book.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mammy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:29 pm

https://www.mixingwithmike.com/courses

I remommend these courses .they are great.You cannot find the better than them.
mammy
Regular

Postby gr8ful2play » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:00 pm

mammy wrote:https://www.mixingwithmike.com/courses

I recommend these courses .they are great.You cannot find the better than them.
Ok, this looks promising. Watched one of his videos on YouTube and I like his teaching style.

Are you Mike? If not, what is your experience with his courses?
gr8ful2play
New here

Postby gr8ful2play » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:24 pm

mammy wrote:https://www.mixingwithmike.com/courses

I remommend these courses .they are great.You cannot find the better than them.
Well, first experience wasn't so good. I signed up for a subscription membership and started the "Mixing Fundamentals" course.

It starts at "Final Mix Adjustments", which certainly doesn't seem like the place a "Fundamentals" course would start and certainly not titled appropriately if it is. Odd.
gr8ful2play
New here

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Why not seek out an official Avid-accredited Pro Tools training course? There is likely to be one local to you and they will teach you a curriculum devised by Avid themselves -- I've been to one session and it was very good.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby gr8ful2play » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Why not seek out an official Avid-accredited Pro Tools training course? There is likely to be one local to you and they will teach you a curriculum devised by Avid themselves -- I've been to one session and it was very good.
I just need something I can do from home. I live in a Spanish speaking country, but my Spanish isn't good enough to do something like that.

I'd definitely be down for an official Avid course if there is one taught online.
gr8ful2play
New here

Postby jimjazzdad » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Its almost 2020. Buy Reaper instead. The support forums and YouTube videos are great, the learning curve is gentle, and you'll be able to buy studio gear with what you save.
:bouncy:
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:57 pm

I can't say I'm the best person to teach Pro Tools, largely because I find it a frustratingly annoying piece of software, but if you're stuck I could teach you the basics.

But I'm largely in the 'move on - there are better DAWs' camp! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:47 pm

gr8ful2play wrote:I understand the learning curve is a bit more steep than other platforms, but it makes sense for my long term objectives from a DAW.
Cheers!

I don't agree; I'm not a fan of learning software (despite having a business that develops software!!!!), and so I chose Pro Tools as it was essentially only 2 screens, edit and mix. I demo'd Cubase/Logic/Reaper, and to my eyes Pro Tools was the most appealing and the most intuitive to use.

The learning curve is how different it (and by "it" I mean any DAW) is to traditional hardware solutions, and you'll have the journey whichever DAW you decide on. You could give someone a good working knowledge in Pro Tools within a couple of hours, all of the more sophisticated functions can be learned later on (as indeed I did).
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster