You are here

Connecting an old synth to existing gear.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Connecting an old synth to existing gear.

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Hey Guys,

One of my synths is Yamaha Motif MO6. It's old workstation, but I love it.

It probably sounds like nostalgia. Over time I get used to my "old" synthesizers and do not want to throw them in a landfill.

My Yamaha Motif MO6 has some problems with keyboard, but its sounds are great! And I'd like still use it in my studio, with existing audio interface.

I thought to configure it the following way to control via some other (master) keyboard:

It's still can be connected via Midi / Audio interface to DAW and I can use it in my records.

The same way we can connect as many "old" synths as we want.

Question.

What is downside connecting as many synths as we want using approach above?

What would be the best approach in case, for example, you have 3 "old" synths that have Midi/Audio inputs/outputs and want to connect them to your DAW to have them on your records?

Thank you!
AMusicPlayerPlus
New here

Re: Connecting an old synth to existing gear.

Postby desmond » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:12 pm

I don't really think of the Motif as an "old" synth, but it's an age thing I guess... :)

The general best approach with multiple synths is probably to have MIDI and audio interfaces with enough inputs/outputs to rig everything up to your computer permanently. MIDI interfaces are simple enough, you can get something with 8ins/8outs fairly inexpensively.

If you don't have enough audio inputs to connect all your synths, then you can use a submixer to route everything through, and route individual instruments to the computer to record.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Zukan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:16 pm

A better approach is to use a multi in/out midi interface. There are loads on the market and some of the oldies are even more detailed (Function Junction).

You can still use midi thrus but daisy chaining multiple thru boxes is not the best approach for hooking multiple devices together. You can get a single box with midi in and multiple thrus or outs. You can even have them work off usb.

M Audio, ESI, Motu, Miditech, Kenton and so on all make well priced midi interfaces.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:27 pm

Zukan wrote:A better approach is to use a multi in/out midi interface.

Yes, I'd agree with Zukan's advice - many years ago I bought a MIDI patchbay, which I used to connect various synths on different MIDI channels to a couple of MIDI in/outs , and while it all worked, I ended up having to create a lot of special patches when I wanted to send/receive sysex and so on - it was a real fiddle!

In the end I bought an 8-in/8-out MIDI interface so I could devote a separate MIDI port to each synth, sold the MIDI patchbay, and creating music was SO much straightforward :beamup:

One MIDI In/out for each synth :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 pm

AMusicPlayerPlus wrote:One of my synths is Yamaha Motif MO6. It's old workstation, but I love it.

I love mine too ... I have the Motif sound engine in a Yamaha S90, and it's got some great patches! I also have kept my Motif ES7 and Motif XS8 synths. I think they are right up there with some of the best digital workstations ever made.

At the last Synthfest I picked up a Kenton USB Host: https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mkii/ which allows you to control a synth with MIDI on DIN ports from a USB controller.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:42 pm

The Kenton USB Host is a useful bit of kit, I bought one to allow me to use my Akai EWI USB with my Model D and my Miniak. Having just upgraded to an Akai EWI 5000 I've put the EWI USB up on ebay and the Kenton USB Host will follow unless anybody needs one*.

* I know we have the reader ads section but I have a few bits of kit I'd like to move on for little (or, in some cases, no money) and would feel better if they were going to a fellow forumite who will use them rather than a dealer somewhere. I don't suppose the mods would consider a forum similar to the 'self promotion' form for such things?

Maybe I should post that last bit in the feedback forum?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm

It's already been suggested and is being looked at (if i recall correctly). :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:the Kenton USB Host will follow unless anybody needs one*.
I have a specific requirement for just that piece of kit, but I'm happy to pay for it - or donate to a charity, if you prefer. PM me when it becomes available?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby AMusicPlayerPlus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Zukan wrote:A better approach is to use a multi in/out midi interface.

Yes, I'd agree with Zukan's advice - many years ago I bought a MIDI patchbay, which I used to connect various synths on different MIDI channels to a couple of MIDI in/outs , and while it all worked, I ended up having to create a lot of special patches when I wanted to send/receive sysex and so on - it was a real fiddle!

In the end I bought an 8-in/8-out MIDI interface so I could devote a separate MIDI port to each synth, sold the MIDI patchbay, and creating music was SO much straightforward :beamup:

One MIDI In/out for each synth :thumbup:

Martin

If I understand you correctly - you suggest to have 1 single box audio interface, having enough audio / midi inputs. Could you please suggest some good one(s)? I'm trying to search, for example: *audio interface 8 audio and 8 midi ports* . Don't see something interesting. Or they don't have enough midi or they only midi. If I understand the approach the idea is to have enough ports audio and midi ports on the same box. Thank you!
AMusicPlayerPlus
New here

Postby Logarhythm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:08 am

AMusicPlayerPlus wrote:[quote
If I understand you correctly - you suggest to have 1 single box audio interface, having enough audio / midi inputs. Could you please suggest some good one(s)? I'm trying to search, for example: *audio interface 8 audio and 8 midi ports* . Don't see something interesting. Or they don't have enough midi or they only midi. If I understand the approach the idea is to have enough ports audio and midi ports on the same box. Thank you!

I think the suggestion is to have two boxes - an audio interface that handles just the audio, and a separate midi interface that gives you as many midi in/out connections as you need for your synths, e.g. something like an M-Audio midisport.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Logarhythm wrote:I think the suggestion is to have two boxes - an audio interface that handles just the audio, and a separate midi interface that gives you as many midi in/out connections as you need for your synths, e.g. something like an M-Audio midisport.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant - it's rare to find an audio interface offering more than two MIDI In/Out ports.

Martin
Martin Walker