You are here

'gear looking for a new home' forum?

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

'gear looking for a new home' forum?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:49 pm

I know we have the reader ads section but I have a few bits of kit I'd like to move on for little (or, in some cases, no money) and would feel better if they were going to a fellow forumite who will use them rather than a dealer somewhere (I have been the beneficiary of others generosity). I don't suppose the mods would consider a 'gear looking for a new home' forum similar to the 'self promotion' form for such things? Just a thought and I understand if the mods think it unworkable as it has a potential to make extra work.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: 'gear looking for a new home' forum?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:52 am

This was discussed briefly before Christmas, but put on hold because of the workload at the time. I'll flag it up again.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:40 am

Adding my vote for the motion :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi Sam,

Just returned to work today and working through a mountain of emails, so I'd like to have time to gather feedback from others at SOS about how this might work and whether allowing it is feasible and how to stop it being abused by other posters who ought to be using Readers' Ads and who have no other input to this Forum.

Sam - it'd help to see an example post/topic so I give you permission to post your gear in the, say, Feedback forum.

cheers,
Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:31 pm

One interesting thing I saw in another forum that has a for sale section was that, in the event of more than one person wanting a piece of gear, the person with the highest post count would be favoured. This was purely the advertiser's personal choice though - not forum policy.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I would envisage a forum having a 200 post threshold like the 'self promotion' forum, maybe with this applying to viewers as well as posters (if that is possible)? The other thing might be a max value, though what would be appropriate I don't know, OR,maybe, either offers only or even free items only?

Will have a look at my surplus kit and make an example post later.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm

As I am quite literally in the process of taking photos for eBay for some old kit, guitar pedals, Joe Meek C2 compressor etc, this sounds like a great idea. Obviously only registered users would be allowed to take part and I'd do a first come first served thing rather than number of posts. Otherwise Hugh and Arpangel will buy everything.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:07 pm

But that heavily depends on timing, with those of us who are able to spend most of the day checking posts liable to pick up all the tastiest morsels.

Maybe see who's interested, then arrange a gladiatorial fight to the death with the winner getting the item, and selling tickets for the event for charity? I don't think you could go wrong with that.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Personally I would suggest it should lie totally within the gift of the person offering the item who they choose to give it to. For instance, if 2 people ask for the item but the one who asked first lives in Benbecula but the second lives two streets over from the giver in London then it would make good sense for them to favour the second. If you try to set up rules then people will just circumvent them.

Put simply, someone's giving something away, they should be able to decide the recipient using whatever criteria seems appropriate to them.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Folderol » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:32 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Put simply, someone's giving something away, they should be able to decide the recipient using whatever criteria seems appropriate to them.

CC

Sums it up beautifully :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby IAA » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Sums it up beautifully :thumbup:
:clap: :thumbup:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:52 pm

Yup, that would be my take. I'd like to see the potential new forum available to items offered at low prices as well as those offered free as I'm sure many of us have gear we'd happily sell at a reduced price to a friend but that are of sufficient value that gifting them is a step too far. Asking for offers (with maybe a hint at the ballpark) might be the best way to arrive at a price that leaves everybody satisfied?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby DGL. » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 pm

On the vintage radio forums if multiple people want an item then it's the old names in a hat, that's how I got my TR-626, seem fair. Maybe have a 24-48hr window when people can put their name forward for an item?
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Free to a good home, Akai SynthStation 25. Decent condition except for battery compartment springs rusty and, basically, buggered. Fixable though. Needs a 30 pin iPhone or iPod Touch to work, I have an old iPod Touch that I would sell cheap with it (offers?) and will post at cost.

Marshall Edward the Compressor pedal and Marshall Echohead pedal, both boxed and mint, silly offers plus a little postage considered.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:27 pm

Nicely put Sam - I like your approach, and especially the brutally honest bit about the battery springs and the notional amount asked for the pedals.

If everyone adopts a similar format I can see this proposed system working rather well!

Oh, and I've just edited your post to change the text colour so it gets noticed - hope that's OK.

Martin
Martin Walker

Next