You are here

Semantics?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Semantics?

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm

My 'new' Win 10 pro Lenovo T510 was not activated since I got it end of December.

I found the product code on the back but when I tried to enter it (as I have done many times for XP and couple for W7) I got the message "The hardware on this PC has changed....." and I did not get any place to enter the code.

After a chat with a very helpful guy at CFA Trading Ltd I tried the "Change Product Code" icon.
Bazinga! Got the black box and could enter my code.

Now I HAD been there before a few days ago but did not proceed because I did not WANT to CHANGE the code! I merely wanted to enter what I thought was the right one.

Was I being overcautious? Silly? Be kind...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Semantics?

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm

Nope. I frequently feel stupid because I read too much into everything. Ambiguity abounds.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Keeping 2 chevrons apart

Re: Semantics?

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:01 am

ef37a wrote:Was I being overcautious? Silly? Be kind...

Not silly at all. The byzantinisms of software licensing are really crazy from the perspective of a "regular" user, who's usually not particularly interested in the legal aspects and the technicalities of what constitutes or not an "hardware change", and just wants to use the damn thing...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page