You are here

New Wavesequencing

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

New Wavesequencing

Postby Chevytraveller » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 pm

Finally!.. 30 years on... more Wavesequencing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NVBHmQfRw

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Re: New Wavesequencing

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Interesting!

Brought up to date sound-wise, and significantly more controllable than the original. Could be a winner, although I suspect someone will be along soon to point out its shortcomings ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby desmond » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 pm

As a former/current WS nerd, I like that it has a new take.

Apart from the more accessible interface, the main thing it brings to the table is that sequences aren't just static lists of values, but can have various probabilities and looping on independent parts of the sequence - this can bring controllable but semi-random stuff which I think would be pretty nice.

Polyphony is up over the WS, but layers are down, but for me, one of the strengths of the WS was in subtley and colour, rather than balls-to-the-wall 1-finger jams - some of the demo sounds were not great, but as always with these things, the strengths happen when you get it to do what *you* want.

People are complaining about the 3-octave keyboard of course (c'mon, don't people interested in buying hardware synths *already* have plenty of keyboards to use?) and that it's not analog (presumably, all the hundreds of other analog synths and mouldar stuff released in the past few years isn't quite enough for them).

And yes, views on Wavestation articles are trending, today... :lol:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:24 am

I was also a big Wavestation nerd.. one of my favourite synths of all time..
It got quite a reputation for being difficult to program but I didn't find that(probably because I was young and in love)
Looking forward to programming wavesequences with the new tactile interface..
I do wish they had taken the opportunity to allow user samples into the wavebank but never mind, at least it has resonant filters this time..

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am

+1 for what Chevvy said. :)

I really hope that this is just the basic version and that a bigger, expanded version will come in due course - it makes such sense to do that. I'm trying to be good at the moment, so might hold off playing this new toy for a while, even though that will be difficult. But I am so happy that Korg have recognised that they had something special and though about bringing it up to date. Bravo Korg.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am

Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 am

To me it sounds that you'll need to program most of your own sounds and ditch the over-busy user presets (though that's generally true for most synths). But it would be nice to hear some good useable musical patches on the synth.

I agree with Chevy that no user samples is a big omission, and could really have taken this to another level.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:23 am

Unconvinced, but open-minded.

A 'convenient sized package'? For who?

Yet another synth for those who have their studio in a cupboard under the stairs, yet seem to have space for dozens of wall warts and only play with one hand...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am

and only play with one hand...
:D

Having to midi it to a proper size keyboard is ridiculous - but I assume sales speak...

I enjoyed the Daniel Fisher demo - but, I think I can get most of this with the Kronos (a bit fiddly to be honest but doable for the odd song or two) or the Arturia Pigments (which is a lovely softsynth and you can roll your own samples and wavetables)...so for me whilst its a hats off to Korg for doing something moderately interesting, I'm saving myself for their KARP 2600 - then I'm done..........
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:57 am

IAA wrote:
and only play with one hand...
:D
Having to midi it to a proper size keyboard is ridiculous - but I assume sales speak...
Agreed. I'm clearly not the market for these things, but it it genuinely baffles me. Either make it a module to save space, or put a proper keyboard on it to avoid having to use a second keyboard - to save space. Who's crying out for this 'one-size fits nobody'?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:12 pm

The Elf wrote:Yet another synth for those who have their studio in a cupboard under the stairs, yet seem to have space for dozens of wall warts and only play with one hand...

Have you been spying on me?

...and HOW can anyone play anything with two hands when there's a packet of hobnobs sitting just over there?

Another old wavestation fan here (in every sense of the phrase). Back in the day, I wrote (and, more importantly, sold :thumbup: ) many pieces of music primarily with a Roland W30 + Wavestation SR - so I'm pleased to see this.

Could I justify buying one? Probably not. While the boxes are long gone I do already have the ipad version - so this would take some explaining ... but I'm still very pleased to see it appear.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:17 pm

The Elf wrote:Agreed. I'm clearly not the market for these things, but it it genuinely baffles me.

You just need to stand aside from your own viewpoint a little - not everybody buying synths are like you. :crazy:

There are plenty of people buying & using synths, and making music, who aren't "players". They can't play a melody, or even do a few chords (let alone *two-handed* chords!). A lot of the time notes are being entered into the computer by mouse, or there'a lot of modular geeks who don't even do "notes" in the traditional sense - there's a lot of stochastic randomness and seq/lgo/s&h generated events and so on.

The bottom line is there is a huge market of people, buying a lot of gear, who don't want a room full of 61-key keyboards, and if anything, the size of those things would put them off. However, these folks can often find room for another desktop module, or small synth, or shuffle a few bits around to incorporate something new that's not too big.

That's a lot of the synth market these days, and that's why there are so many small-size products being made - and also being sold.

Yes, it's not the *only* market, and there are "players" and even "piano players" who can't do anything without holding at least three octaves of root notes in their left hands. (And those folks *will* already have plenty of available keyboards in their rooms.)

It's common these days I think to assume every product being released should be directly intended at you, but this isn't the case (especially as you get older!) and on the internet it seems people are more likely to cry "how dare they! they didn't think of *me* when designing this product" instead of "well, this one isn't my bag, pass..."

The Elf wrote:Either make it a module to save space, or put a proper keyboard on it to avoid having to use a second keyboard - to save space. Who's crying out for this 'one-size fits nobody'?

Or use less keys - to save space. Just a design decision. I'm sure if this is popular, there will be other versions that will fit other needs and tastes...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm

desmond wrote:It's common these days I think to assume every product being released should be directly intended at you...
No no no, I'm resigned to that. This isn't for me. But who *is* it designed for? That's what I'm confused about!

If space is the overriding factor, then drop the keyboard altogether.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I'll stick my oar in on this one. I rarely play two handed (except for piano/organ sounds) and I often orchestrate my music in single lines, hence for me a three octave keyboard is big enough to accommodate melodies and bass lines that don't remain within an octave. In addition, I don't particularly like modules either, I like something that I can switch on and play without having the (admittedly fairly minor) faff of routing MIDI from my master keyboard.

Mini keyboards, OTOH...
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:29 pm

That's a good insight, Rich. Korg aren't stupid - there must be many more like you.

Rich Hanson wrote:Mini keyboards, OTOH...
:thumbup: :lol: I have a feeling that (hopefully) Korg have heard us loud and clear on that subject!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next