You are here

Low cost field recording rig?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Low cost field recording rig?

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am

Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:
I get M&S completely, on a mixer, I have a mixer with built in M&S decoding, but it’s not portable. Maybe someone can tell me how it works on the DR100? Do I just select M&S and it automatically records a stereo file? It’s not clear in the manual, all a bit confusing.
I've already answered this, you can't monitor in stereo on the recorder on the headphones, you will hear M on channel 1 and S on channel 2. without spending a lot more money on a recorder/mixer that has the M/S decoder built in you will have to put up with this limitation.
Oh dear, I’m sticking to cardioids.
Just monitor mid and side solo. The point is that you can sort out the stereo width back at base, so no need to worry about monitoring in stereo while you're recording - assuming each mic is working as it should.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:02 pm

Back in the late 80s and early 90s when the BBC were starting to make TV programmes in stereo, location mixers had no MS decoding or monitoring, so we simply ganged the two channels together with the same gains, panned each hard over (Mid left, Side right), and just monitored the Mid mic on the left output. The side channel would then take care of itself, to be extracted into stereo loveliness in post-production.

If the location mixer didn't have headphone monitoring facilities that allowed soloing of just the Mid (left) channel, we used an adaptor plug/socket in the headphone cable that routed the left channel to both sides. Simples.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby forumuser840717 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:
MOF wrote:
I’ve got the MKH30/40 combo too, it does seem a shame not to use them in this role, I think I’m going to have to persevere with M&S until I get it right, I think my Tascam DR100 does support it.
You put the mid mic’ on channel 1 and the side mic’ on channel 2. The gain settings are typically identical and this also typically looks like the side channel is lower level.
I don’t think you’ll be able to monitor in stereo with that recorder as you’re listening to an un-decoded M/S recording.

I get M&S completely, on a mixer, I have a mixer with built in M&S decoding, but it’s not portable. Maybe someone can tell me how it works on the DR100? Do I just select M&S and it automatically records a stereo file? It’s not clear in the manual, all a bit confusing.

If you're up for a little DIY, then you can buy (for £31.71) from the lovely people at Sowter a Type 8392 transformer which is specifically designed as a fixed ratio MS matrix for headphones. Just add a suitable box, a resistor, a few bits of wire, a couple of connectors and an hour or two with a drill and a soldering iron and you're away.

I have one in my bodgit box and another in my general toolkit - one in a little diecast box a smidge bigger than a credit card and around 20mm thick, which has a 1/4" TRS socket and RCA/phono connectors for inputs and 1/4" and 1/8" TRS for output, the other in a metal tube (an offcut of electrical conduit) with a 30cm flying lead to male 1/4" TRS plug for input and a 1/4" TRS socket for output.

If you want to experiment with varying the L-R width on headphones, you'd need to be able to vary the balance/levels between the the left and right channels of the headphone feed separately but for a quick and simple monitor matrix to headphones of an MS pair it works fine.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:17 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Back in the late 80s and early 90s when the BBC were starting to make TV programmes in stereo, location mixers had no MS decoding or monitoring, so we simply ganged the two channels together with the same gains, panned each hard over (Mid left, Side right), and just monitored the Mid mic on the left output. The side channel would then take care of itself, to be extracted into stereo loveliness in post-production.

If the location mixer didn't have headphone monitoring facilities that allowed soloing of just the Mid (left) channel, we used an adaptor plug/socket in the headphone cable that routed the left channel to both sides. Simples.

Thanks for all your help folks, I think I'm right in saying, the Tascam DR100 will record a mid and a side signal, undecoded for monitoring. I import into my DAW the two raw tracks. I then split the side mic into two tracks, inverting the phase of one of those, then I put the mid mic on a third track. Stereo width is achieved by raising or lowering the levels of the two side mic/tracks.

:?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 am

Arpangel wrote:I then split the side mic into two tracks, inverting the phase of one of those, then I put the mid mic on a third track. Stereo width is achieved by raising or lowering the levels of the two side mic/tracks.

No - just download the free MSED and slap it over the raw stereo file - and set it to decode. Job done!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:41 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I then split the side mic into two tracks, inverting the phase of one of those, then I put the mid mic on a third track. Stereo width is achieved by raising or lowering the levels of the two side mic/tracks.

No - just download the free MSED and slap it over the raw stereo file - and set it to decode. Job done!

Thanks Elf, much appreciated, as you say job done!
Like the interface, and stereo field display, and, it’s free!

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Thanks Elf, much appreciated, as you say job done!
Like the interface, and stereo field display, and, it’s free!
And it's also useful for other mid-side tricks. I often use it for mastering, and for sorting out spatial oddities. Was using it last night, in fact, to help out a stereo recording where dry was in one side, but reverb was in both L/R.

Don't underestimate the power of MS manipulation - once you grasp it you begin to understand the possibilities.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 am

Hear hear!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:11 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Hear hear!

Hear "here" even.....

:)
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Surely Hehearar?
;)

Anyway, there was a really good article from Zukan on creative uses for MS in the November issue: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... techniques
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Pushmepullyou < (mid = the side giveth and the side taketh away) > uoYlluPeMhsuP
=
Over here! <=> !ereH revO

I think that sums it up? :mrgreen:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous