You are here

New Wavesequencing

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: New Wavesequencing

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm

I would also add, though, that if a keyboard is splittable, then it should have at least four octaves and preferably more, that's why in the case of the VC340 I do think the three octave keyboard is a shame.

Admittedly on the rare occasion I play live, each hand is usually on a different keyboard, so for me even there it's not that much of an issue.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:46 pm

The Elf wrote:If space is the overriding factor, then drop the keyboard altogether.

Well, it's probably not an overriding factor, but having a keyboard makes a black box that otherwise needs to be plugged into other required stuff to use much more immediate - and you can buy one as your first synth/musical instrument.

I suspect Korg are targetting this as the kind of synth you'd have next to your computer for immediate fun, tweaking and inspiration, or as something you'd take to a gig for simple, transportable synth parts (not every synth player is playing pianos, organs and other "full" parts)...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:29 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:I would also add, though, that if a keyboard is splittable, then it should have at least four octaves and preferably more, that's why in the case of the VC340 I do think the three octave keyboard is a shame.
I agree. The VC-340 is the one that's recently dismayed me most. If it was a duff instrument I wouldn't care, but it's a cracker, but for this woeful design decision.

By missing one octave of keyboard they saddled the VC-340 with an octave up/down switch it didn't need. And split the keyboard and you have one octave of split on one side! You could see the demonstrators awkardly avoiding talking about this when it was launched.

An ha'porth of tar would have put the VC-340 as one of the all-time greats in my list. I'm genuinely saddened by this, rather than annoyed. :(
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:54 pm

A thought just popped in my head (it does happen occasionally) that possibly shipping costs could even be a factor - the smaller the unit, the more items can be crammed into a shipping container, presumably for the same cost.

I suppose with these sorts of things there are many many trade-offs.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:25 pm

yeah ! The Wavestate looks & sounds very interesting.

My preference would be for a desktop module unless there is somthing special about the keyboard (im mentally comparing the form factor to the 4 octave ASM Hydrasynth or module).
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:14 pm

The Elf wrote:If space is the overriding factor, then drop the keyboard altogether.

But don't reduce the number of other Wavestate controls or the display readout - just remove the keyboard.

Dave Smith tends to simplify his module front panels compared to the keyboard versions, although I have to admit that his keyboards do tend to offer loads of extra performance features such as lockable ribbon controls and the like, some of which would be largely redundant without the keyboard.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dave B » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Price is interesting too : 650quid according to Andertons. Which is kind of alarming as it's already started to gnaw away at my resolve. I mean ... I could just midi it up to my original Wavestation and use the keyboard on that ... hmmmnn ...

Oh dear ... I'm sunk aren't I ?

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Martin Walker wrote:

But don't reduce the number of other Wavestate controls or the display readout - just remove the keyboard.

I quite like what Ty said on Sonic State - when using it in "proper" projects, I'd probably mostly play it from a more regular MIDI controller keyboard, but for programming it and sound development, it's quite nice to have an integrated keyboard right there so you can focus on what's in front of you.

I always found programming sounds with one set of controls, and playing them via another displayed set of controls a bit distracting - the same goes for using software editors too. I quite like a "one focused device" approach, at least when doing sound design sessions only. Especially as you can take it away from the studio and get out of that room, and work on stuff for a change of air...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Previous