You are here

New ambisonic mic’ with usb or adat connection

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

New ambisonic mic’ with usb or adat connection

Postby MOF » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 pm

I came across this https://voyage.audio/spatialmic/?gclid= ... gJbXvD_BwE
It was released in December 2019 and is currently only available direct from the USA.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: New ambisonic mic’ with usb or adat connection

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:33 pm

Looks interesting. There will be more higher order ambisonics mics coming on to the market as the technology matures and interest grows, primarily for the games and VR markets.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:42 pm

Looks interesting. There will be more higher order ambisonics mics coming on to the market as the technology matures and interest grows, primarily for the games and VR markets.

Thanks Hugh, I wasn’t sure if this was aimed at the pro-audio sector or if it’s competing with the zoom H3-VR mic/recorder.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Don't know... it looks more MI than Pro to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen and heard one.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:44 pm

$900 alone is enough to put it in a different market to the H3-VR. The USB output is stereo only so not much use, quite frankly. ADAT looks a neat way to get all 8 mics out to your DAW but it means, of course, you need an interface with ADAT input. Unfortunately for me Logic still won't handle polywav files with more than 4 tracks so the device is currently of only academic interest to me :( No wonder Reaper is the DAW of choice for ambisonic work.

I've just had a quick scan of the documentation and the decoder plugin looks pretty limited, just outputting in Ambix or Fuma. This is not at all necessarily a bad thing as it means you can follow it with your choice of software to do useful things with the data.

On balance I'd say - without having any idea of the actual quality of the audio, and that's key, of course - that it's more pro than otherwise because it requires some knowledge to get the best use of it.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:52 pm

We've been talking to them about getting a review model, hopefully that should happen soon!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:25 pm

I see they have a full reaper session to download from the site with the raw files, which is a nice touch.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby MOF » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

We've been talking to them about getting a review model, hopefully that should happen soon!

Thanks Sam, I think I’ll eventually get into ambisonic recording.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:25 pm

I am a fan of the science and technology of ambisonics and have been for over 30 years. And I own and use two ambisonic mics (a 422B and a 450ii) ...

But I have to say I rarely ever use them to produce ambisonic -- or even surround -- outputs. Even if I actually record the B-format signal, 90% of the time I only generate a stereo (or binaural) final output from the decoder.

And to be honest, music recording situations where an ambisonic mic is genuinely more beneficial than a convemtional mic array are pretty rare in my experience, although an Ambisonic mic is often a very convenient compromise solution in tricky, less-than-ideal or unpredictable situations.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:00 am

I have nothing like your experience in these (and a great many other) areas but since I started dabbling in it I have taken quite a shine to Ambisonics. Like you, though, I end up with stereo mixes. Where I have found my NT-SF1 and H3-VR genuinely useful is in miking small ensembles and choirs. I can arrange them in an arc or circle around the mic in a very natural way which makes them feel at ease. This is significant because I am usually dealing with amateurs who find close miking rather scary. At mix down the Ambisonic recording gives me options relating to virtual mic placement that are really helpful in producing the final mix. It's not as easy as close miking would be and there are other disadvantages but the gain in the quality of performance is real and more than makes up for it for me.

CC

Edited to add PS: I love binaural too. Not that I've actually found a real use for binaural recording but I do like listening to the recordings I've made after the event in binaural. It puts me in the middle of the performance in quite an exciting way.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Last two posts nailed it for me in terms of usefulness and questions I had. Usually I am adding individual instruments. If they aren’t featured instruments I can have fun with extreme panning, verbs, widening plugins etc. I was trying to think if an ambisonic approach would open up more possibilities for these non featured instruments.
Do I want cowbell flying around from behind my left shoulder to in front of my right foot? (I know I’m exaggerating here!)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm

I get the impression a lot of people think an ambisonic mic will allow them to record anything anywhere, and fix it all in the mix with a decoder plugin... but it really won't. Poor mic placement is always poor mic placement and always sounds like poor mic placement.

However, in situations where you can optimise the source/mic placement, it is true that an ambisonic mic can offer some useful and unique post-processing options.

If I was asked whether would I choose a single ambisonic mic or a more conventional setup with separate mics for a dedicated session recording a vocal ensemble 'in the round', I'd say the separate mics without hesitation. But if it was an ad hoc, on the fly kind of job, the Ambisonic mic would be quicker and easier and a lot less fuss at the recording stage... but a lot more fuss and compromise at the mixing stage.

So, as always, horses for courses.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm certainly not getting rid of my other mics because I've got an NT-SF1 ;)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:05 pm

Second order for 899$? Sounds good.

Anyone happen to know what brand of 14 mm electrets are in it? Transound perhaps?
cyrano.mac
Regular