You are here

Korg Arp 2600 in 2020

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Korg Arp 2600 next year

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm guessing Korg only want to do a limited run of them and are pricing them to suit a niche demand.
Which is why I think it's fair - not for me, but fair. Compared to an original it's more than fair.

But I think they're going to have a bit of a fight on their hands to shift more than a few of these, given the collective baited breath for Uli's offering!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 am

Well it’s arrived - in pre-order anyway. https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/korg/korg-synths-keyboards/arp-arp2600-synthesizer?utm_campaign=09-01-20-NAMM-Korg&utm_source=emarsysemail&utm_medium=email&sc_src=email_6801165&sc_lid=326802076&sc_uid=MiEq9ojTfD&sc_llid=8728&sc_eh=2d3ac0b8ffdcb64a1

It looks beautiful- as it ought for £3200 and is a limited run. Hmmm.

I don’t know when the Berry lands, but if this delivers on the sound I could be in (cue conversation with a disbelieving other half as she says “another ?”). Just about to watch Daniel’s demo. https://youtu.be/N6MCU0QRbqI
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 am

Korg UK's own demo. https://youtu.be/QFYDHqLgVvQ
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 am

Switchable filters - good and what I had hoped for. Nice.

Keyboard with arp / sequencer. Nice touch too.

Limited edition - as we thought.

And price is as speculated. Nothing else to add there.

Yes, I'd love one. But I can't justify the cost. And that's me talking. If I were Korg, I'd be doing a 'module' version which has the guts in a smaller form factor with no keyboard and bung that out for about half the price. I'd certainly go for that - I'd happily sacrifice the look for the sound.

Hey Ho. :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:07 am

Dave B wrote:Switchable filters - good and what I had hoped for. Nice.

Keyboard with arp / sequencer. Nice touch too.

Limited edition - as we thought.

And price is as speculated. Nothing else to add there.

Yes, I'd love one. But I can't justify the cost. And that's me talking. If I were Korg, I'd be doing a 'module' version which has the guts in a smaller form factor with no keyboard and bung that out for about half the price. I'd certainly go for that - I'd happily sacrifice the look for the sound.

Hey Ho. :)

No, the look is about 90% of why I’d buy one, it was a love affair I couldn’t afford in 1972, I thought it looked pure heaven. I sent away to ARP for info, and they sent me some brochures back which I stuck on my shed wall!
Would I sell my Buchla to get one of these? No, the Buchla is way more inspiring, and original, and makes me do things I would never have dreamed of, the ARP is a beautiful synthesiser capable of really amazing things, but not as open ended and bottomless as my Buchla, if money was no object I’d automatically get this 2600 as well, but unfortunately that’s not the case.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:19 am

No, the look is about 90% of why I’d buy one,
I agree the look is part of the experience and that, for me, is about inspiration. If it was just an approximation of sound then the Arturia would do it. I remember feeling this way about the Minimoog, I’ve had all the software clones but they didn’t inspire at all, I didn’t doubt the sound was close but it didn’t feel like I was playing a Minimoog. When I got the reissue (same price as this co-incidentally Korg!) I knew straight away that it was different. The experience was what I dreamt of and I’ve never regretted that decision. Noodling on a real Minimoog is as far away as it can be to noodling on Monarch or Mini v3. Whether that is worth £3000, well we all have different answers.
The ARP in my mind is like the Mini. If I go for it it’s because I want to feel I’m playing the ARP 2600, so look, sound and even how it smells and sounds when warming up (I’m looking at you Moog!) are part of that.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:27 am

I've always felt that the Odyssey is 80% of the joy of a 2600 at 30% of the price. So I'm comparing 80% of this 2600 to the Behringer Odyssey.

I know where my money would go.

Full size, though, and from what little I can tell it looks well made. Lessons learned for now and future, one might hope.

The casing and travel case are excellent features.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Got to say, the Behringer prototype is better looking! I always prefer the later ARP livery:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:50 pm

It's certainly far more compact than the KARP 2600, and obviously missing the speakers.

Looks like they've added a few more patch points.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:52 pm

It certainly looks like Korg are doing a decent version of the 2600. The demo of the keyboard was great - I liked the sequencer and the fact that aftertouch had been included was a really smart move. Premium price should equal a premium product and it looks like that's what Korg are selling, so thumbs up there.

Also good so see that the Berry looks like it will have both filters. Nice.

I keep saying this, but it's good times for us synth heads :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:15 pm

I keep saying this, but it's good times for us synth heads :)
Yes it’s like being transported back to the 70s but this time with the ability to actually buy rather than stare :bouncy:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Leaving aside considerations of cost...

There's a split here between Korg's 'faithful recreation+' versus the Behringer's '2600-essentials'.

Nice to see a few extras on the Korg, but the arpeggiator and scratch sequencer aren't exactly a page-turner. USB is good to see, and I'm guessing that the synth can function without the keyboard. Balanced XLR outputs and an IEC mains socket - yes! (Looks like the Behringer is to be saddled with an external PSU - first mod coming up!)

I doubt I'm alone in thinking that I could live without the speakers and I never want to see another damned spring reverb! And that pitch bend knob? Nooooooo! :headbang:

So I'm thinking that Korg's 2600 is actually too faithful a recreation for my tastes. Maybe Behringer's won't be faithful enough? :crazy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Sold out at Andertons before I even had chance to speak with Mrs IAA :( :(

Rumours appear to suggest a mini version may be in the pipeline??? :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 pm

IAA wrote:Sold out at Andertons before I even had chance to speak with Mrs IAA :( :(
If it's anything like the Odyssey FS the UK allocation you could count on your fingers...

IAA wrote:Rumours appear to suggest a mini version may be in the pipeline???
I don't mind a mini panel, but if we get another mini keyboard I'll be handing out the pitchforks and torches...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm

The Elf wrote:
IAA wrote:Rumours appear to suggest a mini version may be in the pipeline???
I don't mind a mini panel, but if we get another mini keyboard I'll be handing out the pitchforks and torches...

Indeed. I think they'd be better releasing a module-only version in a similar style to the Odyssey desktop – no keyboard, CV/MIDI – and they can keep the spring reverb for me, I like that kind of thing :).

I'm not shocked at how quickly the preorders have vanished. KMR only had one left when I heard late morning. I do hope they decide to offer a small one cheaper, but I totally agree it'd be compromised by a crappy half-arsed mini keyboard. Waste of money. Just the module would do me fine.

One of the reasons my hopes of a mini version have been rekindled slightly is the "FS" designator on the current model. Part of me hopes this implies there'll be a non-FS version later.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

PreviousNext