You are here

Analog/Digital

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Analog/Digital

Postby The Elf » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Cubase has various saturation options. Whether these further this mystical, magical 'analogue-ness' is debatable...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:11 pm

In amongst this thread I think the OP has been given plenty of options for hooking up a small mixer to an interface connected to the computer... but I note that no interface was actually mentioned! :think:

So, to the OP: do you have a suitable interface? If not, you'll need a simple two-channel USB interface. There are many available according to budget. Depending on your computer's sound card, there might be the option of connecting the mixer to the analogue line or mic inputs on the sound card... but I really wouldn't recommend it from either the sound quality or latency points of view.

As for the side discussion of Mackie mic preamps, I've always found them remarkably good for the money -- but best results are definitely obtained by taking the direct output from the insert point. In my experience (I have an old 1402VLZ pro) it's the rest of the mixer that tends to let the preamps down because -- and contrary to some other opinions here -- the summing busses and output amps lack headroom, particularly at high frequencies.

I found that I could achieve quite respectable release-quality recordings through the desk only if I recalibrated the A-D I attached to the mix output so that 0dBFS aligned to no more than +12dBu, and recorded peaks were no higher than +6dBu -- basically, never let the top green, yellow or red LEDs ever come on!

Of course, there have been several generations of small Mackie mixer since mine and I've not tested any of them, so the current models may be better (or worse).
H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby JRocker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice so far.

Sorry forgot to mention, I am using an AKAI EIE Pro interface.

So let me get this right. Please correct if I have misunderstood. So if I use the ALT Outs of mixer to 2 channels on interface then send the interface back into Mackie, the first signal I get from recording will be analog then because it is going through interface next, it will be coloured 'digitally' by the interface, have I got it right?

What about if I want a pure Mackie anolog signal, say for guitar only and then record my vocals through interface only (digitally)?

As to the poster CS70 and his question of 'It begs the question of why and what do you think you'll achieve'...well if the past innovators etc listened to comments like this, nothing would have even been discovered, developed and found...I mean I am wanting to experiment, doing something different and I am not all about following trends or whats the standard. To be honest, I may achieve a shit sound and will forget it or I may achieve something unique in my experimenting,but what makes one like 'their' sound may to another be 'nothing but crap tone'.

There a literally hundreds of examples of this in music history, commercially successful and now influential songs that used demo vocals, demo guitar track and the like. Recordings that were record in crap environments yet turn out to have something unique that years later others want to copy..you get the point.
JRocker
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:13 pm

JRocker wrote:Sorry forgot to mention, I am using an AKAI EIE Pro interface.

JRocker wrote:Hi,
I have a Steinberg UR22MkII interface.

Hmmmmmmmm.......
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:25 pm

JRocker wrote:Sorry forgot to mention, I am using an AKAI EIE Pro interface.

Thanks... that clears up that mystery! :-) ... Maybe.

What about if I want a pure Mackie anolog signal, say for guitar only and then record my vocals through interface only (digitally)?

Anything you record will be digital because it's being recorded on the (digital) computer. The interface provides the conversion between the analogue and digital domains in each direction.

The mixer is really just a useful input expander for the interface, and may also serve as a convenient monitor controller, taking the output from the interface as well as other local (analogue) sources. So if you hook up your monitor speakers to the Mackie, you could play your guitar through the desk and listen directly to the live analogue signal.... if that matters to you.

There are several different ways of connecting the desk to the interface, depending on what you want to achieve. The critical thing, though, is to use a configuration that avoids any possibility of a howl-round loop where the output from the computer interface gets routed accodentally back to the interface input. Check out the various options described in the manual for ideas, and/or study the block diagram to understand the signal flows.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Troll
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby JRocker » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:25 am

Wonks: I sold the UR22II interface. And I AM NOT a troll!!

I am geninuely asking my question here and appreciate the responses.
JRocker
Regular

Postby CS70 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:15 pm

JRocker wrote:
As to the poster CS70 and his question of 'It begs the question of why and what do you think you'll achieve'...well if the past innovators etc listened to comments like this, nothing would have even been discovered, developed and found...I mean I am wanting to experiment, doing something different and I am not all about following trends or whats the standard. To be honest, I may achieve a shit sound and will forget it or I may achieve something unique in my experimenting,but what makes one like 'their' sound may to another be 'nothing but crap tone'.

No grief from me, the reason of my comment was that a bit of the point of this forum is to help each other. And a huge chunk of that is all too often helping others see thru the immense amount of bulls.. ahem, uninformed ideas that for some reason populate the great field of music recording.

But you are an innovator and obviously you do not need any of that, so best of luck.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby JRocker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:57 pm

To CS70:
Thanks for the backhanded comment. I never claimed to be an innovator nor do I think I am any sort of the sort. My comment was to illustrate a point about going one's own way and approaching things differently and discovering for themselves what works or doesn't for them. And I mentioned 'innovators' because history has shown this has how it has happened. I NEVER said I was one nor do I aim to be one.
JRocker
Regular

Postby JRocker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:07 am

Happy New Year to everyone. Just one other question. I've tried all of these suggestions, and they all work fine, thank you. If I wanted to use the Mackie just as monitor controller (ie to control volume etc when listening back to DAW recordings )and not to record through it, do I just connect the outs of my monitor speakers into the OUTS of the Mackie?
JRocker
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 am

You would connect the OUTs of the Mackie to the INs of your monitors.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby JRocker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 am

I seem to not be able to get anything to work re: those connections.

Maybe I don't understand which OUTS and INS you mean?

I connected two XLR cables, one in each OUT (R and L) of MAINS OUT of Mackie and the other ends of the cable which are TRS into the front INPUTS 1 and 2 of AKAI EIE PRO. I played the recording I did in DAW and no sound is coming out of either my headphones, speakers or anything in the LED section (where it tells you a signal is coming through) of the Mackie. So what am I doing wrong?
JRocker
Regular

Postby Funkyflash5 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:18 am

You have everything exactly backwards, you want to take the outs from the interface into ins on the mixer and then outs on the mixer to ins of your monitors or to headphones.
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am

May be it would be a good idea to look at the "typical connections" and set-ups in the Mackie manual, or the Akai, they usually have them.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby JRocker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:34 am

Funkyflash5 wrote:You have everything exactly backwards, you want to take the outs from the interface into ins on the mixer and then outs on the mixer to ins of your monitors or to headphones.

Thank you Funkyflash5! You are right, everything is now working. One problem though, why don't I hear a proper stereo signal? I mean I have the monitor speakers hooked up correctly L and R into the L and R of mains out of mixer, but the signal I get is mono??
JRocker
Regular

PreviousNext