You are here

Analog/Digital

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Analog/Digital

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:39 am

Which inputs are you using on the mixer from the Audio Interface? If it's two of the main channels you'll need the pan controls panned hard left and hard right. If they are central the mixer will sum the stereo into mono.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby JRocker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 am

Doh! I forgot to pan them! Thanks Sam. I'm using the balanced L and R main out on top of channel strips on mixer.
JRocker
Regular

Postby JRocker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Want to say a big thank you to everyone for their help on this thread, much appreciated. One final thing before I close this tread, now that I've hooked everything up correctly, because I've set it up primarily as a monitoring system, when I record straight through the interface into my DAW, I assume the Mackie will color the signal since it's not connected in the recording chain?
JRocker
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 pm

JRocker wrote:Want to say a big thank you to everyone for their help on this thread, much appreciated. One final thing before I close this tread, now that I've hooked everything up correctly, because I've set it up primarily as a monitoring system, when I record straight through the interface into my DAW, I assume the Mackie will not color the signal since it's not connected in the recording chain?

I guess that's what you mean? If so correct, the Mackie will have no effect on the recorded signal.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
JRocker wrote:Want to say a big thank you to everyone for their help on this thread, much appreciated. One final thing before I close this tread, now that I've hooked everything up correctly, because I've set it up primarily as a monitoring system, when I record straight through the interface into my DAW, I assume the Mackie will not color the signal since it's not connected in the recording chain?

I guess that's what you mean? If so correct, the Mackie will have no effect on the recorded signal.

However, it WILL slightly colour the playback, which could result in you making marginally different mix decisions, although I doubt in practice whether this will be a limitation unless you have really expensive loudspeakers and an acoustically treated room, so you that can discern the difference.

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous