You are here

vst (plugin) host with side chain capability?..

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

vst (plugin) host with side chain capability?..

Postby Gadg3ts » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57 pm

I'm 90% sure this was in a review or article in the magazine within the last year, but I can't find it...
Basically, what I'm looking for it the name of a bit of software that will host VST plugins, but also it was described as being able to "expose the side-chain connections of VST3 plugins" or allowing funky routing to do the same thing with multi-in/out plugins.
I do primarily use Cubase for bigger projects, but that's tied to one PC.

The thing I'm looking to do is get a feed for the sidechain signal for the Brainworx bx_DynEQ, but from a different audio channel and in DaVinci Resolve, the video editor from BlackMagic (and on my laptop, so preferably not needing an ilok/eclicenser) .

I've had a look at Nugen Sigmod, which has a 'signal tap' function, but this only feeds to another proper channel. I've also looked at BlueCat PatchWork, but that's a bit inscrutable without having to RTFM.
Does anyone recognise the thing I'm talking about and know what it's called?..

Thanks,
Sean
Gadg3ts
New here
A/V, Tech and Studio Services: gongbong.media
Custom Volca Cases: pimpyourvolca.com

Re: vst (plugin) host with side chain capability?..

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 am

Cubase makes VST3 side-chaining easy, but I'm pretty sure Reaper can do it too - and that would be a cheaper option for multiple PCs.

Hopefully others can confirm.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 am

Is it this, reviewed in this months mag?

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ddmf-metaplugin-3

I believe the trick referred to is the ability to easily sidechain (sidechainable) VST2 plugins, as VST3 has it in spec no?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:46 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Is it this, reviewed in this months mag?

It could well be, and DDMF have some really creative products in their range that work well - Metaplugin works beautifully for a host of uses.

I've also used it in the past to test out different rates of oversampling on various plug-ins - everything you host inside it can be run 'as is' or with x2 or x4 oversampling (watch that aliasing distortion drop off the graph!)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Gadg3ts » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Is it this, reviewed in this months mag?

I believe the trick referred to is the ability to easily sidechain (sidechainable) VST2 plugins, as VST3 has it in spec no?
Yes! that one
"Cubase users might be interested to note that Metaplugin... coupled with SendIt... can grant you access to side‑chaining with VST2.4 compressors and gates."
The sendit thing is what I was looking for.
If I were doing this in Cubase or Reaper (both of which I use a lot), then the process would, of course, be easier, but I'm not, so it isn't. I might add this to my feature requests to BlackMagic, as Resolve makes other things like ducking for voiceover tracks really simple.

Ironically enough, I'd put a sticky tab in the actual magazine so that I could find the article again...

Thanks people :)
Gadg3ts
New here
A/V, Tech and Studio Services: gongbong.media
Custom Volca Cases: pimpyourvolca.com