You are here

Please Help Setting Up Big Knob Talkback

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Please Help Setting Up Big Knob Talkback

Postby tmoneyfunds » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 am

Hello everyone, I’ve looked about everywhere trying to setup my Mackie big knob. Actually, the big knob works. What I wan to figure out is how to setup the talkback. I looked everywhere for help and I landed here as I’m lost. I need to setup a big knob in two studios. I’ll list the gear here:

First studio:
Mac
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen)
I need to make it work with an art headphone preamp

2nd studio
Mac
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Any help would be amazing. Even if you can point me in the right direction. Any other info you need let me know.
tmoneyfunds

Re: Please Help Setting Up Big Knob Talkback

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 pm

When you press the CUE button, Talkback appears on the headphone Cue outputs (and the Studio/headphone amp output and two track output on the Big Knob+ version).

So you just need to plug your artists headphones into the Cue Headphone outputs, and they will hear any talkback messages.

I don't know which ART headphone amp you have, but you can plug that into either of the headphone outputs quite happily too, using the appropriate cable (either a TRS-TRS if it has a stereo input, or a TRS-two TS plugs if it has separate left/right inputs).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound