You are here

Whats the diffenrece between Pro Power amps and home hi fi power amps?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Whats the diffenrece between Pro Power amps and home hi fi power amps?

Postby Baldo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:20 pm

I know this seems like a really obvious question,, but what is the difference between the above two amplifiers?

I am looking to get a power amp that I use in a yoga studio. I can get a basic hi-fi power amp like a cyrus and connect the output from my mixture to the input of the power am and then connect the loudspeakers to the power amp. The out put from my mixer is phono non balanced.

Alternatively I could just get a studio pro power amp like this one for example.
https://www.thomann.de/intl/tamp_s75.htm
https://www.thomann.de/intl/tamp_s150.htm

or even this one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Taatoo-Professi ... SwXXddnhRb

I am just wondering what is the difference between them.

Many thanks
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Whats the diffenrece between Pro Power amps and home hi fi power amps?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 pm

The differences are usually in the included facilities, the build quality (ruggedness), and the capability of running all day at high output levels without a problem...

Hi-fi gear tends not to be pushed hard for long periods, so may well have inadequate cooling or under-specified power supplies, or just be under-rated.

Of course, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule, and many hi-fi products have established a solid reputation in the pro world -- like some Quad and Bryston amps, for example. And equally there are some budget Chinese-built 'pro' amps that really aren't fit to be used in a professional context...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jimjazzdad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

I might presume to add to Hugh's post by saying that 'pro' power amps will usually have balanced inputs that take a nominal input level of +4 db to drive the amp to full output, meaning that consumer devices like CD players or iPods may not be able to get the amp to produce its maximum 'loudness' ...not necessarily a requirement in a yoga studio... And if you have a requirement to broadcast sound to multiple rooms or a large areas, there is a specific type of pro amp for permanent installations, with 70 volt line outputs to drive a plethora of installed cei;ing speakers (like you would find in shopping malls etc.).
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:54 pm

jimjazzdad wrote: And if you have a requirement to broadcast sound to multiple rooms or a large areas, there is a specific type of pro amp for permanent installations, with 70 volt line outputs to drive a plethora of installed ceiling speakers (like you would find in shopping malls etc.).

JFI, it's normally a 100v line standard in the UK.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jimjazzdad » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:19 pm

Wonks wrote:
jimjazzdad wrote: And if you have a requirement to broadcast sound to multiple rooms or a large areas, there is a specific type of pro amp for permanent installations, with 70 volt line outputs to drive a plethora of installed ceiling speakers (like you would find in shopping malls etc.).

JFI, it's normally a 100v line standard in the UK.

Aw...you folks across the pond always have to 'trump' our voltage standards... :headbang:
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:45 pm

:lol:

Oh yes... a land of real voltages that bite over here....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Baldo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Thanks for this guys.

I spoke to the people at Thomann and explained some of this.

My choice is really to either get a reasonable second had hi-fi am from ebay or to go for one the pro power amps from them. The cost is only marginally greater going for the latter.

In terms of usage, its not really going to be pushed very hard or for long periods of time. In fact, I probably use my own home and studio systems a lot more and drive them harder than the system that will be used in the yoga studio.

I understand regarding the connectors. The output form my mixer is unbalanced out so a domestic system is fine, for now.

thanks again all.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.