You are here

Buying a used (dynamic) mic that's "had a fall"

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Buying a used (dynamic) mic that's "had a fall"

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:14 pm

Afternoon ladies and gentleman

What are the dangers of buying a used microphone? It's grill has a fair old dent in it and the ad admits it's had a fall but states it's working perfectly.

It's a dynamic mic so there's no sensitive ribbon or valve to bust. Can there be "hidden" defects or does a dynamic mic basically work or not work?

The seller's local and has been posting for years.

It's a small world so if the seller's reading this then no offense intended I'm sure you're trustworthy, I'm just doing my due diligence!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Buying a used (dynamic) mic that's "had a fall"

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Is he local enough to go and test the mic? Dynamics are pretty robust so if you can take a similar mic along for comparison and it sounds ok I'd probably be ok with that if the price was right. Grills for '58 style mics (if that's what it is) are available on ebay for less than a fiver so I wouldn't worry about the dent alone.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Is he local enough to go and test the mic? Dynamics are pretty robust so if you can take a similar mic along for comparison and it sounds ok I'd probably be ok with that if the price was right. Grills for '58 style mics (if that's what it is) are available on ebay for less than a fiver so I wouldn't worry about the dent alone.

It's an Electrovoice RE20 so very much not a '58! And whilst the price is good it's still pricey as it's an RE20 after all and nope, nothing to compare it with.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Most dynamic mics are extremely robust and I've used more than a few that have been dropped and exhibit dents in the grille. RE20s included!

I'd always be really careful buying AKG's vintage dual-capsule mics like the D202 / D222/ D224 as they do have a history of deciding to die for no obvious reason, but all the familiar Shures, EVs, Beyers and so on are generally fine.

All you need to do is plug it in and listen carefully. Listen for rattles when you turn it upside down and shake it, and make sure it sounds clean on spoken voice. If you can, try and test it with a range of voice levels, including a loud shout up very close (just make sure you don't overload the preamp). I usually record the output and then play it back while listening carefully in headphones.

Depending on the mic, grille dents can usually be eased out with a little care once you've removed the grill from the rest of the mic.

And in the case of stage vocal mics, you can wash the foam lining and pick out any food particles at the same time... :shifty:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And in the case of stage vocal mics, you can wash the foam lining and pick out any food particles at the same time... :shifty:

Haha, delightful :tongue:

Thanks Hugh, and others
jellyjim
Frequent Poster