You are here

SSL 2 and 2+

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

SSL 2 and 2+

Postby Zukan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 am

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/interfaces

This veered quietly under my radar. The specs are perfect for my needs but I am always of the mind that a review by one of our illustrious dudes would yield better results than clocking a pic with a hanky. However, I feel this will be as good as the specs claim.

To ruin your day a tad: the SSL 2 costs £179.99 and the 2+ (extra pair of balanced outs and another headphone out) costs £239.99.

My birthday is in May.
Zukan

Re: SSL 2 and 2+

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:12 am

Looks interesting Zukan, as a very good quality interface, and the price is way lower than I expected, still not "massive" gain range though, at 62dB.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kwackman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:20 am

The big one even has a pair of 5 pin DIN MIDI ports, almost retro these days!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am

Kwackman wrote:The big one even has a pair of 5 pin DIN MIDI ports, almost retro these days!

It’s looking even more attractive.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 am

This would pair nicely with the SiX.

Now if they can get the two in one box I might be very interested...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby jaminem » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 am

If you can route the Mic Pre's, direct to the outs then you get a 2 channel SSL pre-amp for sod all money...
..Even better if you route them via the '4K' voodoo magic button first.

...or...

If you were in the market for the Drumstrip and Vocalstrip plugin - both of which are £130, you could get the SSL2+ save yourself £20 on the price of the plugins alone and get the interface thrown in for free.

That's really compelling, and I don't even need one!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 am

it would be interesting to hear how that 4K thing really compares to analog SSL pres.

at that price, I think it will be a good seller.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:55 am

No digital connectivity, though. :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 pm

The Elf wrote:No digital connectivity, though. :frown:

Yeah, we all clocked that. I'd rather they upped the price and gave us more connections. Dropping in an optical to run ADAT would have made this a no brainer of a purchase.

AND why oh why did then not include the analog switch option?

Like I said in my group announcement we'll know loads more when one comes in for review.
Zukan

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Can we stay away from D Subs.

:(
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave Rowles » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:06 am

Slap bang in Focusrite territory there, and infact direct competition for the Clarett 2Pre (And a bit cheaper!)

Given that they were working on this, I'm still miffed as to the lack of USB connection on the SiX.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 am

I’m unsure about the marketing strategy around this interface, it’s cheaper than a lot of the "perceived" lower quality competition, but that’s assuming that the SSL will be significantly better than those units, at this price point, if it’s not, then it’s not going to do SSL any favours, it could also damage their reputation as a high end manufacturer.
I hope it does have "the sound" and the build quality to match, at what is a ground breaking price, I’ll be buying one anyway, at this price, why not?
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:11 am

Without digital connectivity you'd better like what the pre's give you, because bypassing them with a pre of your own choice (with digital output) is not on offer. That pretty much kills this one for me.

Quite ironic that I can plug my SSL channel strips into my NI KA6, but I can't do the same with this SSL interface... :crazy: :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am

The Elf wrote:Without digital connectivity you'd better like what the pre's give you, because bypassing them with a pre of your own choice (with digital output) is not on offer. That pretty much kills this one for me.

Quite ironic that I can plug my SSL channel strips into my NI KA6, but I can't do the same with this SSL interface... :crazy: :frown:

That’s OK for me, just attracted by the monitoring section, I mean, just look at the size of that knob!

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:46 am

Given all the things you're apparently buying your bank account must be positively bulging with spare cash... :lol: :bouncy: :thumbup:

To be fair to SSL, their acquisition by Audiotonix has provided access to massively more cost-effective manufacturing in the Far East for smaller products like this (and the Six, and the Fusion), while still retaining their excellent high-end circuit designs and excellent build quality. The Six is astonishingly well built -- way better than any equivalently sized/priced mixer currently on the market.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

The Elf wrote:Without digital connectivity you'd better like what the pre's give you, because bypassing them with a pre of your own choice (with digital output) is not on offer. That pretty much kills this one for me.

I am sure that larger, more featured interfaces from SSL will follow. This is a KA2 style equivalent, not a KA6 one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Wonks wrote:

I am sure that larger, more featured interfaces from SSL will follow. This is a KA2 style equivalent, not a KA6 one.
If SSL do ever come up with that device I would be in line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Given all the things you're apparently buying your bank account must be positively bulging with spare cash... :lol: :bouncy: :thumbup:

I’ve got to spend it Hugh, before my partner does..... :)
I never thought in a million years that I would be in the position I’m in now.
Life is strange.
It gives you a different perspective, some things loose value in my mind, some things gain it.

:angel:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave.P » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Instant GAS and wondering if there is a review in the SOS plans for the coming months?
Dave.P
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm

It's a bugger innit, I'm trying to 'de-clutter' so am selling anything I think will bring enough to be worth the hassle of ebay and posting. There's not much new stuff I really want these days, I've got most of it and expensive studio kit is not on the agenda as what I have exceeds my skill level by a good margin. And, money is no longer a significant problem, we're not wealthy but we can pay the bills so, while that Shelby Cobra is out of reach a tidy 1990 MX5 to replace the tatty one I sold last spring is not (though I haven't bought one of those either FWIW).

I fancy a better boat but would have to sell one of the ones I have and I have become attached to both so that may not be an option and reducing the amount of 'stuff' is the order of the day*.

If you've read the other thread you'll know that a good (though not especially close) friend died suddenly this week. I was already doing all of the above but it suddenly seems more urgent....

* bloody guilt, I wish I could just enjoy all my cr@p and to hell with those who will have to dispose of it after I'm gone :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Next