You are here

Novation Summit

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Novation Summit

Postby Wonks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Just wait for the Novation Really Pointy Apex then. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Wonks wrote:Just wait for the Novation Really Pointy Apex then. ;)
Don't put it past 'em. With Poly AT keyboard!!! :bouncy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:27 pm

The Elf wrote:
And a wall wart! :bouncy:
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Wonks wrote:
The Elf wrote:
And a wall wart! :bouncy:
Nah! I hugged the designer who gave the Summit its internal PSU - he will be looking forward to the same for next time! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Or a very strong reason not to! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 am

Damn, a friend has just ordered one, and he's about as cautious as someone who's studied cautiousness at the university of cautiousness. And he doesn't part company with money easily.
On this basis I may avail myself of a self-bought Christmas present, I've somehow got to sneak it in though, how big is the box?
I'm getting quite good at this though, I managed to sneak in a Big Sky and a Reface CP as guitar leads.... :)
If my partner comes to the SOSage meet please don't mention Summits, or anything like that, I'd appreciate it... :D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Arpangel wrote:Damn, a friend has just ordered one, and he's about as cautious as someone who's studied cautiousness at the university of cautiousness. And he doesn't part company with money easily.
On this basis I may avail myself of a self-bought Christmas present, I've somehow got to sneak it in though, how big is the box?
I'm getting quite good at this though, I managed to sneak in a Big Sky and a Reface CP as guitar leads.... :)
If my partner comes to the SOSage meet please don't mention Summits, or anything like that, I'd appreciate it... :D

:-)

There may be a small delay getting hold of one. I note that a few online retailers have pulled them from the store, or marked them as unavailable/pre-order only. My unit has a serial number of 'a-hundred-and-something' and is one of a batch (possibly the first batch in the UK?) of 500. After I replied to the recall and arranged a pickup for it early next week, Focusrite (the UK distributer) sent a message to my retailer basically saying they are working on a plan to swap out all units with resellers and end users and they will confirm details and timescales once available.

To the retailer they said: "Our aim is to minimise downtime for end users, so please do not recall units from them until we have confirmed availability of replacements."

The message for me as an end user was: "As the issue does not prevent the unit from being used, we don’t want to do anything to interrupt your use of the Summit. We’ll be in touch with you once we have availability of replacement unit to arrange a replacement unit at your convenience."

I'm not at all bothered by any of this. It's a fantastic instrument and perfectly usable as it is. I was only able to trigger the encoder issue a couple of times over several hours.

Having just got off the phone to my retailer I've been told to hang onto it for now, that they'll be in touch when the time comes, and to have a lot of fun with it in the meantime :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby forumuser653351 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57 pm

At long last my Summit has arrived! And like an idiot I managed to scratch it when setting up - it didn’t quite fit into the space I had intended! Oh well, at least I wont be precious about it and marked it as mine.
So, I’m really pleased with it, it’s very well built and all feels high quality.
The inherent tone has an analogue vibe and feels very full sounding - just what I wanted and of course subjective. So far I’ve played with a few patches and modified things as I went and it’s all very self explanatory and easy to get good musical sound from. It didn’t come with a printed manual which is a shame as I like to have something on paper to delve deeper into things but I’ll print one out.
Back to making some music :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby hogberto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:10 pm

forumuser653351 wrote:At long last my Summit has arrived! And like an idiot I managed to scratch it when setting up - it didn’t quite fit into the space I had intended! Oh well, at least I wont be precious about it and marked it as mine. …

Bollocks, that's a shame. We could probably fill a thread with instances of damage to new purchases. I still shudder thinking of the way my (used) Jupiter 8 slid gracefully off its temporary perch on a piano stool and onto the floor just after I'd unpacked it. Happily a bent bracket around the MIDI ports was the only damage but *ouch*.

Congrats on the Summit though. I do like the Peak, but what with a lengthy want-to-buy list of polysynths, (including an OB6 and JD-XA) and limited space I'm not sure that a Summit lies in my future. We shall see though :angel:
hogberto
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 am

I think I might have made a mistake buying the Summit.
Don’t get me wrong it’s an amazing synth, the sounds are fantastic.
It’s been such a long time since I’ve had a hard-wear synth as I’ve been using soft-synths. I felt a bit frustrated with the difficulty of hands on control of soft synths and the sounds being not quite what I hear as full sounding analogue.
So in that regard the Summit hits the spot - really great sound and hands on control. But somehow I feel guilty and greedy spending the money on it, when I could of got something like the Arturia Keylab mkII with V collection, or just spent time properly mapping controls to any MIDI keyboard. Also, the truth is that I’ve got used to programming synths with a graphic interface - it was just the hands on control that I was missing.
The sound is the other dilemma, when just playing the sound of the Summit is so satisfying to hear but in a song context will a soft-synth be just as good?
I’m really not sure what to do! I guess just mull it over for a while.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am

:wtf: The Summit is a *world* away from any soft synth! :headbang:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby forumuser653351 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:30 am

The Elf wrote::wtf: The Summit is a *world* away from any soft synth! :headbang:
Yes, I've been playing some more this morning and it's a totally different experience and sound from what I'm used to - much much better! I guess I'm just in unfamiliar territory and finding the justification of spending that amount of money difficult. Playing the Summit does bring a smile to my face though which is worth it alone :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:31 pm

I justify some of these expenses in terms of 'coffees per week'. When I think how much I've spent on take-away food and whatnot, it's less terrible to have a synth that, if it comes to it, can be resold.

I've had my Peak about a year now, and it's still yielding new things for me. Enjoy!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby forumuser653351 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:37 pm

nathanscribe wrote:I justify some of these expenses in terms of 'coffees per week'. When I think how much I've spent on take-away food and whatnot, it's less terrible to have a synth that, if it comes to it, can be resold.

I've had my Peak about a year now, and it's still yielding new things for me. Enjoy!

Thanks, that's helpful :)
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby forumuser653351 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am

Please ignore my embarrassing wobble over the Summit, not sure why that was but I'm over it. I’m very happy with the Summit, it’s inspiring me to create music and I’m enjoying it.
forumuser653351
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am

:thumbup:
Buyer's remorse is a very real thing and I'd be very surprised if any of us hadn't been there at some point.
But if you're enjoying making music then it's all worthwhile. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:03 am

:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby masterleader » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:12 am

I'm looking to buy a Summit very soon but I keep reading on "gearslutz" about serious keybed issues. Anyone having those here?
Sounds like random spacing and or raised/lowered keys. Also, the aftertouch is very hard and very inconsistent across different keys.
I'm hoping these are isolated cases as I really want to pick one up.
masterleader

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm

Can't say I've noticed any of that on mine but to be honest I haven't done much other than use it as a sound source amongst many others.

I'm away from the studio for the next 10 days so I'm afraid I can't double check the aftertouch either.

That said, I've used it a few times in jams and haven't had any problems at all.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby forumuser653351 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 am

masterleader wrote:I'm looking to buy a Summit very soon but I keep reading on "gearslutz" about serious keybed issues. Anyone having those here?
Sounds like random spacing and or raised/lowered keys. Also, the aftertouch is very hard and very inconsistent across different keys.
I'm hoping these are isolated cases as I really want to pick one up.

The keys on my Summit are all flush and evenly spaced. To me the keyboard feels very good and is nice to play. I personally feel that I have to press the keys a bit harder than I thought I would to engage aftertouch. I am getting used to it and it’s not a problem - it’s good to learn that I have a preference for a lighter aftertouch action. I'm sure that everyones preference is slightly different.
Overall I feel that the Summit is a very very good synth, I am extremely happy with mine and it’s really enjoyable creating sounds and making music with it. Which, for me, is the main thing.
forumuser653351
Regular

PreviousNext