You are here

"No input device installed"

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

"No input device installed"

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 am

Is what I get in Sound Control in W10 for my Lenovo T510 (or similar words)

The only input device seems to be the internal microphone and I have disabled that. I have been into UEFI but that seems very limited in scope and I cannot see any audio device settings.
I downloaded the Conexant 2085 driver (from Lenovo!) but it won't install "wrong device".

I have installed Virtual Audio Cable and it shows up as an input in Audacity but still will not record the soundcard's output.

I CAN grab audio on my old W7 HP but would rather not let the b*****s beat me!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: "No input device installed"

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:35 pm

Im on Windows 10 on HP i5 laptop. Audio is realtek.

My audio grabbable input is called Stereo Mix Realtek. If you dont have somthing similar it may be hidden by virtue of being disabled, which will then require digging around in the settings to enable it

here is the path to my input

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Good luck! I remember my WIN10 machine wouldn't recognize headphones and had both a Waves and Realtek drivers installed. iirc I had to remove the Waves component, the uninstall the realtek device and reboot for the OS to finally recognize the device and install drivers properly.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:53 pm

Believe me Nigel, I have dugged!

I tried a tie tack mic an hour or so ago and it did not even find that. All there is seems to be internal microphone, no other input facilty. I found a view of the T510 right side and the headphone jack "does not accept a conventional microphone" WTF?

I Think I shall end up having a UCA 202 with ins and outs linked.

There is an NVIDA "soundcard" shown several times in CP but I thaink that is just audio for video via the Display port?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:00 pm

The seem to have disabled audio loopback or 'what you hear' in Windows 10. I don't have it on my machine either although I'm fairly sure a very similar model had it in Windows 7.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Im on windows 10, 1903 & I have audio loopback. e.g. I can be watching uTube on the laptop speakers and startup Audacity, select audio = Stereo Mix Realtek and begin recording the uTube soundtrack.

I think I first encountered the loopback being hidden in W7, XP was definitely OK.

Can you connect your machine to a telly with HDMI and see if the HDMI sound driver has a loopback that can be enabled ?

"does not accept a conventional microphone" WTF?
that might be a combined headset jack with earphones and boom mic - ideal for web gamers !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 pm

Nigel, the TT mic has a 4 pole jack and works fine on my HP i3 W7 into the dedicated jack.

I had assumed the T510 was a 4 pole combo jack. My K92 cans work fine but as I say it does not see the mic.

I see you can get USB mic+HP dongles? Might try one and then link the jacks.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Dave, I did a quick Google and there were a few related queries on some Lenovo forums.

I skimmed a few and it might all be a Lenovo thing [rather than W10], They dont seem to like the loopback function at the driver level.
Hooking up an external mic seems do-able.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T ... d-p/289928
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 am

N i g e l wrote:Dave, I did a quick Google and there were a few related queries on some Lenovo forums.

I skimmed a few and it might all be a Lenovo thing [rather than W10], They dont seem to like the loopback function at the driver level.
Hooking up an external mic seems do-able.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T ... d-p/289928

Thanks Nigel. Seems odd that it does not find a 4 pole jack mic? I shall have to get a jack splitter cable and see what that does.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster