You are here

Tiny monitors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Tiny monitors

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Nice appraisals... and I'd largely agree with your gut reactions to the different characteristics of these models... but particularly with your positive views of the KH80 and KH120. :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Very interesting comparison. I've been intrigued by Tannoy's return to small dual concentric monitors as I've just set up a separate transfer room in the house so I'm looking at monitoring for it. I use a pair of big Tannoys in the studio which are very revealing - you can very easily hear 1dB changes in eq through and the imaging is very sharp. It would be good to have similar qualities in a smaller, cheaper package so I really ought to get to hear the new range.

Of course the KH80 is the other alternative, as is keeping the KEF's that I'm currently using but upgrading the amplifier.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:23 pm

I once heard a pair of Pelonis Model 42s at a trade show and thought them very impressive for the size, but they seem to have been discontinued.
Sam Inglis

Postby Hazebloom » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:00 pm

James Perrett wrote:Very interesting comparison. I've been intrigued by Tannoy's return to small dual concentric monitors as I've just set up a separate transfer room in the house so I'm looking at monitoring for it. I use a pair of big Tannoys in the studio which are very revealing - you can very easily hear 1dB changes in eq through and the imaging is very sharp. It would be good to have similar qualities in a smaller, cheaper package so I really ought to get to hear the new range.

Of course the KH80 is the other alternative, as is keeping the KEF's that I'm currently using but upgrading the amplifier.

Which KEFs? I used to use a pair of Q300 as nearfields until I blew a tweeter. They couldn't stand the studio loads. But then I only wanted concentric drivers. That's how I got the Tannoy Ellipse 8 which I still love very much (2 pairs in use in the studio, plus 1 in my living room, all with Tannoy subs). Great speakers, can't get enough of listening to them. But too big for the meter bridge. Therefore: the new Gold lineup is interesting indeed with the small package, great sound, concentric drivers and affordable price.

Btw. the Reveal lineup from Tannoy is also good. I did not test them this time because they were not installed in the testing room, but I compared them a while ago and they stood out. And they have a tiny one in the linep, cheap also.
Hazebloom

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Hazebloom wrote:
Which KEFs? I used to use a pair of Q300 as nearfields until I blew a tweeter. They couldn't stand the studio loads. But then I only wanted concentric drivers.

These are an old pair of KEF Cresta III's that I had lying around. They aren't particularly fancy but they seem to have very good imaging and the quoted spec is good although the bass is far less extended than similarly sized modern speakers. The lack of bass is possibly an advantage here as I'm using them in a semi detached house.
James Perrett

Postby Zukan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:18 pm

My only concern is that we are comparing a few sets of monitors that are almost double the price of the poster's requirement.
Zukan

Postby deejayen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:13 pm

That's all very helpful, thanks!

I'm less concerned about price (within reason) than size!

I'm miles away from any dealers, and those in the cities nearest to me don't stock or demo the monitors I'm interested in. I did speak a while ago with a London dealer from whom I've bought some gear in the past, and their salesman was really down on Genelecs even though they sell them. He was firmly steering me towards the KH-80, so that ties in with your recommendations. I suppose I really need to see if I can make the space for them (I know they're not that big, but they're larger than will fit with my current desk layout). If so, I could arrange a mail-order demo.

I did also consider the KS Digital C5 and the Pelonis (I can confirm the Pelonis 42 are no longer available!).

I suppose the other small-ish monitor is the Amphion One12, which would probably be the limit of my budget. Has anyone compared that to the KH-80?
deejayen
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:25 pm

Another option would be the Abacus C-Box. It's a very small desktop monitor that is heavily internally EQed to give it a full bass response, at the cost of not being able to play super loud.
Sam Inglis

Postby deejayen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the Abacus. They might be a good option - I don't need the monitors to be loud, but I would be using them at a close listening distance, and the extended bass response of the Abacus might be useful.
deejayen
Poster

Postby Humble Bee » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Crazy that a studio monitor sales person can be down on Genelecs

:headbang:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:01 pm

If you can't audition them my inclination would be to buy the KH 80s (assuming they are small enough), they and the KH 120s are the most recommended small speaker on here by a good margin and if so many people with much more experience (and much better ears than me) use them they are probably a safe choice.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:57 pm

Zukan wrote:My only concern is that we are comparing a few sets of monitors that are almost double the price of the poster's requirement.

The Tannoy Gold 5s are under £300 per pair. Haven't seen many reviews but I must admit I'm intrigued by the user reports that I have seen.
James Perrett

Postby Zukan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:57 am

James Perrett wrote:
Zukan wrote:My only concern is that we are comparing a few sets of monitors that are almost double the price of the poster's requirement.

The Tannoy Gold 5s are under £300 per pair. I haven't seen many reviews but I must admit I'm intrigued by the user reports that I have seen.

Yeah, I clocked that James. I was referring to the Neumann's etc...that were hitting the 6-700 mark. I'd be interested to hear your views on the Golds if you ever get to demo them.
I have often thought of a secondary, or tertiary if you count my Mixcubes, pair of monitors for very quiet referencing. The old 'listen to it quiet' trick. So, something tabletop/desktop.
Zukan

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am

Humble Bee wrote:Crazy that a studio monitor sales person can be down on Genelecs

:headbang:

I'd agree with that. My main speakers are KH120's but as well as the 8010a's I also have a pair of 8030a's which I've had for a long time. They're good speakers. The KH120's have the edge but to rubbish the Genelecs just doesn't make sense to me and casts doubt on the saleman's integrity and/or knowledge.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby deejayen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:43 pm

I don't know why, but Genelecs seem to divide opinion. As I said, I'm shopping for my first pair of monitors, and haven't heard any of them, so I'm open to any of them. Genelecs seem to be nicely designed and made, and Genelec do a great job with documentation and support.

I was surprised that the salesman expressed the view that he did, but I also noted that Hazelbloom wrote a few posts back, "Genelec: out. Like the JBL305, the Genelecs 8030 sounded cheap, plasticky, middy ... to my big surprise, given the brands reputation."

Perhaps they're sensitive to set-up, and require the dip-switches to be set appropriately for their environment.
deejayen
Poster

Previous