You are here

Innovation v Hype

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Innovation v Hype

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:53 pm

The Red Bladder wrote: In TV and theatre, it didn't take long for LEDs to replace tungsten lighting.

My memory of that transition is rather different. I remember when 'innovative' studio LED lights first appeared at the trade shows... and they were all rubbish.

Brilliant, extremely innovative idea, and fantastic potential for power saving and controllability... but they simply couldn't match the required brightness or reliability of the prevailing systems, and they weren't that cheap either.

It was actually many years before the technology and manufacturing matured to a level that really made them a genuinely practical option -- but when they got there everyone saw the benefit and quickly re-equipped.

So it was an innovation but, like most, it didn't really happen overnight and it took a few years to progress from the first examples to the workable products.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Many are the brilliant innovative ideas that have got no further than a trip to the patent office. You need an idea and a backer with money (at least).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:00 pm

The patent system itself can also be a huge impediment to innovation.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby merlyn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 pm

32 bit float recording would qualify as an innovation.

Were there any innovations at NAMM 2020?

Fender's innovative approach was to let a bunch of four year olds loose with a box of crayons :

merlyn
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:33 pm

In a way, the Access Analogue stuff is innovative - in that it's innovative access to old tech!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:19 am

Must we really have constant innovation anyway?! Obvioulsy things should improve and progress but innovation for the sake of it just smacks of a hard sell to me. Like new versions of smartphones every year or so. Enough already. The differences are negligible.

Stuff works, does its job. Why mess with it?

It's like everyone keeps trying to reinvent the piano keyboard. The Roli Seaboard was interesting but generally, despite it's limitations, the keyboard kinda works as it is.

There's the environment to think about too. All that innovation risks driving rapacious consumerism with all its deleterious effects on the mothership!

There's lots of good ideas already. Do we really need more? They're all so ... exhausting :bouncy:
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 am

If it's not actually improving things it's not innovation, it's marketing! ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:30 am

blinddrew wrote:If it's not actually improving things it's not innovation, it's marketing! ;)
Exactly! And there's far too much of it :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:57 am

Like everything it all comes down to money and the economists stupid idea that 'growth' is the only measure of a health economy :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:14 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Brilliant, extremely innovative idea, and fantastic potential for power saving and controllability... but they simply couldn't match the required brightness or reliability of the prevailing systems, and they weren't that cheap either.

It was actually many years before the technology and manufacturing matured to a level that really made them a genuinely practical option -- but when they got there everyone saw the benefit and quickly re-equipped.
About ten years - which is very rapid for new technology and far faster than the adoption of optical laser disks (invented around 1970, CD created 1980, market domination 1990).

BTW, LED lighting still does not work properly for film! I have been playing with various LED systems and they fall apart in two areas - pulsing and subtly true colour. It's OK'ish for theatre and TV but still fails in film where pulsing prevent it being used in more extreme settings, such as low-light. Also, colour aberrations prevent the use of RGB lights - even on the Arri Skypannel (£5k each!) and one still has to put filters in front of them to get a true colour representation (unless you want bright red or green faces).
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jellyjim » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 am

blinddrew wrote:If it's not actually improving things it's not innovation, it's marketing! ;)

+1
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Like everything it all comes down to money and the economists stupid idea that 'growth' is the only measure of a health economy :headbang:
+1
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:46 am

The Red Bladder wrote:BTW, LED lighting still does not work properly for film! I have been playing with various LED systems and they fall apart in two areas - pulsing and subtly true colour. It's OK'ish for theatre and TV but still fails in film where pulsing prevent it being used in more extreme settings, such as low-light. Also, colour aberrations prevent the use of RGB lights - even on the Arri Skypannel (£5k each!) and one still has to put filters in front of them to get a true colour representation (unless you want bright red or green faces).
Pulsing shouldn't occur with a proper HF control. Unfortunately some manufacturers cheap out and just chop up ordinary rectified mains giving an average constant power, so you get 100Hz ripple (which filament lamps tend to smooth out).

P.S.
The lights in my kitchen are like that. Impossible to take a photo when they are on :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Previous