You are here

Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Behringer X-Touch - that blue light...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:25 pm

OneWorld wrote:I think what you'd miss if going from the MCU is the track labelling. I really would have liked to have got the x-touch but couldn't see any track display
The track name (in short form) is displayed in the screen above each channel.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ramirez » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:39 pm

The Elf wrote:
Music Wolf wrote:I'm also seriously considering one as, in addition to linking it with Cubase in the studio, I recently aquired an XR18 for live use.
I'm in exactly the same sitation. I bought the X-Touch primarily for the XR18, with the Cubase option as a nicety.

In reality things have turned out quite the opposite. I haven't found the X-Touch to be hugely helpful with the XR18, but with Cubase it's become a constant companion. With the XR18 the control panel you get on the PC is so informative, quick and easy to get around that the X-Touch feels clumsy and cumbersome by comparison.

As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.

Are you using it alongside or instead of your Alphatrack? I live in fear of my Alphatrack dying (I've just found a second one cheaply just in case...).
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Folderol » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:46 pm

OneWorld wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:As to labelling... There's a nice chap who makes overlays on magnetic rubber. They look really tidy and won't break the bank. I've asked him to make me a customised version, so I could also ask him if he would take orders for anyone interested.
oooh, is that x-touch only or could he perhaps do something for a BCR and BCF?

I really liked my BCF/BCRs, one of the best controllers going, but why oh why did Behringer leave off a 9th(master) fader
Because he didn't realise people would use them for Hammond drawbars :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Phil_AV » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:50 pm

"That Blue Light" also works well in Logic Pro. I'm connect usb to a macbook pro. I use the usb ports for a usb turntable and the 2nd usb for my midi controller.
Phil_AV

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Ramirez wrote:Are you using it alongside or instead of your Alphatrack? I live in fear of my Alphatrack dying (I've just found a second one cheaply just in case...).
I'm still using it alongside my Alphatrack, but it's beginning to eye me nervously as I turn to it less and less...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:22 am

X-Touch is brilliant. I bought the 3 items together (x-32 rack, X-touch and Expander) and it's the best most useful and cost effective package around. I had heard it wasn't great with Reason, but in fact it is fabulous with Reason. Reason sees it as not only a Daw controller, but all the Waves and other plugins beg to be mapped to the X-Touch the second you invoke them.

I'm glued to the Behringer website these days to find out what's next. Happy days.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 am

Delighted to hear something has worked well for you for once!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:52 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Delighted to hear something has worked well for you for once!

CC
You're a Gentleman! and I'm a grumpy old git, but yeah, this Behringer resurgence is really good news. I hope they develop a line of 500 series modules too. :)
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby DGL. » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Howdy Doody Time wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:Delighted to hear something has worked well for you for once!

CC
You're a Gentleman! and I'm a grumpy old git, but yeah, this Behringer resurgence is really good news. I hope they develop a line of 500 series modules too. :)

Midas are currently the ones doing the 500 series thing, with a range of two cases and 4 modules, 3 for around the £135 mark and one not so inexpensive :o https://www.thomann.de/gb/midas_microph ... er_501.htm
It is supposedly a no holds barred/no expense spared product, if it's as good as they claim it must show off their Chinese factory in a good way as surprisingly for such an expensive piece of audio equipment that is where it is made.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 pm

I'm very happy with my Berry mixers, decent product for a very good price but I can't help thinking that that preamp is a marketing exercise. I wonder if anybody has actually bought one?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DGL. » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:50 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I'm very happy with my Berry mixers, decent product for a very good price but I can't help thinking that that preamp is a marketing exercise. I wonder if anybody has actually bought one?
Well I suppose that's the idea, helps to cement Midas as a high-end brand.

As for sales it's not got the lowest sales rank in the preamp category on Thomann so they must have sold some https://www.thomann.de/gb/cat_rank.html?ar=452033 Plus it's in stock and they are hardly going to stock something they can't sell.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Well, it depends on the trade price and how much staff discount they can offer maybe?

Given that something like this https://www.retrosonicproaudio.com/product/retrosonic-pro-audio-r2xl301-midas-xl3-dual-mic-pre-and-eq is only £690.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DGL. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Well, it depends on the trade price and how much staff discount they can offer maybe?

Given that something like this https://www.retrosonicproaudio.com/product/retrosonic-pro-audio-r2xl301-midas-xl3-dual-mic-pre-and-eq is only £690.
Though I was under the impression Thomann don't do discounts plus Music Tribe are hardly known for overpricing.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 am

Yeah, that's my point, you can buy two genuine 'vintage' Midas preamps for under £700, why would anybody spend £10k on a copy?

edit to add :- I'm pretty pro Behringer these days but there is no way the true trade value of that preamp is more than a few hundred dollars. There is something fishy going on, maybe they are supplying on SoR or some kind of 'linked to stock level' deal, I can't imagine Thomann would be carrying them as a stock item at around £6k trade if they had to pay up front.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:41 pm

Here's the overlay I had made for my X-Touch:

I requested custom labels over the upper buttons to match my mixer configs.

And here's the chap that made it for me:
https://www.giantproductions.nl/
The Elf
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext