You are here

Nice stage piano/vocal cover demos - Issues/advice getting both to sit in a Logic mix

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Nice stage piano/vocal cover demos - Issues/advice getting both to sit in a Logic mix

Postby skipper01 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:22 pm

I appreciate theres a million possibilities and variables in my question so im really just interested in other peoples opinions on the issues in principle.
I'm trying to record some example material (stage piano/vocal) for promotional purposes and would like to achieve this myself still if possible.
Its a bit embarrassing as im using lovely kit but having trouble getting a very nice stage piano to 'sit' to my satisfaction in a mix with my vocal using a very nice LDC.
I know from experience some of the benefits of recording a performance in the same acoustic space ie piano/vocals in terms of acoustic space cohesion and believe this is some of my trouble getting the 2 to sonically 'sit' together.
At present im happy as i can be (minus recording a grand of course!) with the sound of the stage piano and am using a bit of the instrument reverb as it sounds great in my opinion.
Its a Nord Grand using either the White Grand or Bright Grand samples depended on the track. Even without the reverb on i still get the sense these contain a bit of something of atmosphere/distance when sampled which is interesting.
I'm trying to record the vocals either live or in sequence in my bedroom which is treated diy (duvets, foam in places) but still is a bedroom of course!
I've tried everything to make the 2 to sit including various EQ cuts on either elements (particularly vocals of course), controlling the vocal a bit with compression, reverb on the voice and across both including various convolution and algorithmic plugins and settings. Also different vocal mic positions and distances have been attempted.
The end mixes are ok but still not right either in my opinion.
In theory, is it just easier to gain some 'sonic cohesion' by micing up a larger proper performance space with atmos mics from a PA mix of both elements to blend with the dry signals and accepting this is the way to go for an honest live recording?
Its a bit of logistic problem but is it worth trying to record the vocals in a more 'open' space than a small bedroom modified to sound as dry as possible?
I've even thought about using a 'worse' mic on the thought that the voice recording is so 'studio sounding and big' but the Beta 58 i have just sounds 'orrible at present and is even harder to sit in the mix.
Maybe i just need to accept its always gonna be a compromise and challenge and stick with trying to find the right EQ and virtual reverb/ambience combinations as its so much easier to record in the space i have at home?

Again, I appreciate there could be a lot of variables.
Thanks anyways for any thoughts/tips
skipper01
Regular

Re: Nice stage piano/vocal cover demos - Issues/advice getting both to sit in a Logic mix

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi skipper01, it's late on Sunday, my eyes are tired and i'm trying to read this on my phone, but can you just clarify something please.
You're sending the piano and the vocal to two different reverbs, but are you sending everything to a room reverb as well?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Nice stage piano/vocal cover demos - Issues/advice getting both to sit in a Logic mix

Postby skipper01 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Yes thats correct.
Both vocal and piano sending into a bus with Wet room reverb as a process.
Added some addition other reverb to just vocal and messed about with short ambiences on both signals.
As said, it sounds alright. Maybe im just expecting too much.
skipper01
Regular