You are here

Help with MOTU

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help with MOTU

Postby forumuser773232 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi,

I just picked up a MOTU 828 MkII for a very cheap price. The person selling it to me told me he had it lying around in his studio for years and recently wanted to sell off all the gear not being used and because he didn't have Firewire capability, he had no idea whether it worked or not. I the I don't know much about this of hardware, but have researched it and read the reviews on SOS. My problem is this. I've never used a Firewire device, my computer has no Firewire capabilities (as far as I know) and have no idea how to test this to see if it still does work, and if it does work, would it work on my my current set up? I have a PC running Cubase and a AKAI EIE interface.

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you.
forumuser773232
Poster

Re: Help with MOTU

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:54 pm

Simple answer, with your present PC you can't. But this https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4-port-dynamode-1394a-firewire-3x-external-1x-internal-1394a-firewire-pci-controller-via-chipset-400 is £8 so buy one and test it. If it doesn't work you are only out £8........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby forumuser773232 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:08 pm

Thanks for this Sam. But don't I need to know how to install this into my computer? Or can I use it as a standalone?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:16 pm

As Sam says, you need to get a firewire input in your pc, and you do it with the card he linked (assuming your motherboard has a free PCI slot).

You open the case, look at the motherboard manual to see what are the PCI slots, unscrew one of the metal "filler" bars in the back and plonk the card in, screwing it back where the "filler" bar was, the close the case.

Make sure to work on isolating material and not to carry electrostatic charges (dont wear wool and touch metal before touching the components).

Past that, you'll need the right firewire cable and you're set. Drivers you should still find online.

It should possible to use the MOTU as a standalone converter (I looked to lot of interfaces when I was researching external converters and I don't remember the details but a "MOTU 828 Standalone" google search will tell you all there's to know), typically connected via ADAT... but the trick is that in these kind of interfaces you often have to set up the routing via software first, then the interface remembers it even when powered down.

So, assuming it still works and it can work standalone, you need a firewire port for the initial setup
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby forumuser773232 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:22 pm

Not sure what you mean by using it as a standalone unit...but will research it.
I did also purchase from the same person a Tascam 122 MKII Tape deck...
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:50 pm

forumuser773232 wrote:Not sure what you mean by using it as a standalone unit...but will research it.
I did also purchase from the same person a Tascam 122 MKII Tape deck...

Apologies, I thought that was your objective. :-)

"as standalone" means that if you have a "primary" USB interface connected to the pc which have a digital multi-channel input (often ADAT or AES/EBU), it's possible to take an older interface like the MOTU and configure it so that it can be use as an extension to the "primary" one, even without by itself being connected to the PC in any way ("standalone").

Many of these higher end old firewire interface can be configured as extenders (adding channels of I/O to an existing interface) but they almost invariably need to be configured to do so, for the first time, on a computer that "talks" directly with them (i.e. has a firewire card).

If your intent is to use the MOTU as primary interface, then forget about the "standalone" - you need to mount the firewire card as above and then - if your MOTU works - it should be happy to do the interface job for you. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby forumuser773232 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:14 am

Thanks for all your help Sam and CS70.
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 am

I have one of these 828 MK11’s, they sound perfectly fine, and are worth using.
I use it in what I call "stand alone" mode a lot, basically you don’t have to switch on your computer to use it as a mixer, for programming, practicing.
If you have a mixer-less set-up, you just plug everything into the Motu, set up a mix, and only switch on the computer when you want to record.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby forumuser773232 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:27 am

Where can I find instructions on how to do this 'standalone' with out the computer?
forumuser773232
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:23 am

It's what manuals are meant for.

Mac https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Mac.pdf

PC https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Win.pdf

(But the hardware only operation will be the same).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853