You are here

How to be a true professional ...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: How to be a true professional ...

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:33 am

I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
I also saw him at Wembley Stadium too, more or less the same behaviour, the word "professional" is something to avoid sometimes, and a lot of people deliberately avoid be so sometimes.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:10 am

Arpangel wrote:I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
I also saw him at Wembley Stadium too, more or less the same behaviour, the word "professional" is something to avoid sometimes, and a lot of people deliberately avoid be so sometimes.

So long people keep coming, anything you do is professional :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DGL. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Rick Wakeman, when telling his band what song they were going to start with this time, told each member a different song, culminating in a complete mess as unlike when only one part of the band get's it wrong it's near impossible to recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8jPyLQqkF4

Oh, and the figure skating piece from the White Rock album was done completely ad-lib after forgetting that that piece was still to do and thinking he had finished.
He decided to do a piano piece and the video the music was to go to was played, everything seemed to be going well until he felt that the piece of music was coming to a natural end, luckily at that point the video ended! Unfortunatly said piece became a minor hit in europe, and as such he would be expected to perform it, that meant that he had to transcribe it from the recording, not too easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeI03hqa4c
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Here's another layer of professionalism, when a pianist notices an unforeseen malfunction with the piano pedal at the very beginning of her recital, and turns it into an impromptu comedy performance ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbRTRBY4D4

Martin

Love it.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:43 pm

Arpangel wrote:I can remember when I went to see Bob Dylan at Hammersmith Palais, the band started one song and he sang another, he was going through a drink phase I think, as standing up seemed a bit of a challenge too, he sorted it in the end though.
Went to a Pogues gig and had a very similar experience with Shane McGowan - ended up with him sleeping on the stage and Spider Stacey took over on the vocals. I don't think it was water in that glass...
Shortly afterwards they fired him.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 am

blinddrew wrote:
Went to a Pogues gig and had a very similar experience with Shane McGowan - ended up with him sleeping on the stage and Spider Stacey took over on the vocals. I don't think it was water in that glass...
Shortly afterwards they fired him.

You can’t have the Pogues without Shane McGowan, they may as well not exist.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 am

Yeah, the next album wasn't much cop.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:Yeah, the next album wasn't Much Cop.

No, it was Waiting For Herb. HTH. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Lies, damn lies, and forum post edits! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous