You are here

Mismatch in tempos?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Mismatch in tempos?

Postby john@franklinroadstudio » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 pm

Wow. Great response…

The track in question is a version of Bob Dylan’s “Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright”. The guitar was recorded along with a click in my little Zoom R8 with the intention of just adding the vocals and leave it there. Then I remembered someone saying there was some question about whether Mr Z had actually played the guitar part. On checking it seems, on balance, that he probably did, but Bruce Langhorne was in the session, so who knows? Anyhow, this same article also mentioned that there was an unreleased take with drums and bass….which is where the idea for adding drums afterwards came from. I’m a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to MIDI so, for now, it’s been sorted (kinda) by judicious cutting of 20ms snippets here and there from the drum track. It’s playing nicely now, just don’t get me started on drummers (or dinosaurs).
john@franklinroadstudio
New here

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I must add this one to the collection - a classic re-interpreted, with THREE drummers 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028oDEKZo4

Martin
And the drums are panned the 'right' way... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:30 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:I must add this one to the collection - a classic re-interpreted, with THREE drummers 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3028oDEKZo4

Martin
And the drums are panned the 'right' way... ;)

Yup :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 am

BJG145 wrote:...not bad...hadn't heard of Gavin Harrison before.
:shocked:

A drummer high on my list of 'people I'd like to work with'!!!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:02 am

john@franklinroadstudio wrote:I’m a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to MIDI so...
Depending on where you are I could come sort you out with MIDI clocking in a trice - much better than kludging it. It's really pretty simple stuff!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:25 am

The Elf wrote:
john@franklinroadstudio wrote:I’m a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to MIDI so...
Depending on where you are I could come sort you out with MIDI clocking in a trice - much better than kludging it. It's really pretty simple stuff!
An offer worth taking up. MIDI is very powerful but doesn’t have any intelligence built in, users have to do the thinking for it. A little hand holding and guidance will pay for itself in no time, and The Elf is ideally qualified and has a well earned reputation as an excellent one to one teacher.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby john@franklinroadstudio » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:45 pm

The Elf wrote:
Depending on where you are I could come sort you out with MIDI clocking in a trice -

Many thanks for your kind offer.

However, what I think I'm going to do is embark on a fresh arrangement starting with the drums ( which is what I'd normally do anyway) and re-record the guitar and bass parts.
"Kludge" is the new "bodge" - love it!
john@franklinroadstudio
New here

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:57 pm

I'm more thinking of sorting you out for using MIDI in the future, rather than this one specific project. Well, the offer is there, should it be required and practical.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby john@franklinroadstudio » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm more thinking of sorting you out for using MIDI in the future, rather than this one specific project. Well, the offer is there, should it be required and practical.

Once again, your offer is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure that ninety miles each wach way counts as practical, though...
john@franklinroadstudio
New here

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:49 pm

john@franklinroadstudio wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm more thinking of sorting you out for using MIDI in the future, rather than this one specific project. Well, the offer is there, should it be required and practical.
Once again, your offer is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure that ninety miles each wach way counts as practical, though...
90 miles is pretty much a walk down the road relative to the miles I travel in a month!

The offer stands.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous