You are here

16” (inch) MacBook Pro is strong enough?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

16” (inch) MacBook Pro is strong enough?

Postby aviorrok » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi,
The new 16" MacBook pro is strong enough for 96/88.2Khz with 150-250 tracks (include bus/aux) with Omnisphere/Alchemy?
The fans not make too much noise when recording?

MacBook Pro Specs:
2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory

Today I'm using Hackintosh with i5-4460 and 16GB RAM on drop/chorus I got "system over load" message (48KHZ)
aviorrok
Regular

Re: 16” (inch) MacBook Pro is strong enough?

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Anything that ramps up the CPU significantly for extended periods of time will ramp the fans in MBP's up - those machines don't have good cooling, so it's inevitable, unfortunately.

Any time the fans ramp up significantly it's annoying, so if you plan on regularly running large sessions at high sample rates, with heavy virtual instruments and plugins, you might want to think whether a laptop is really the best device for that task.

It'll do it for sure, and maybe someone else that has a 16" MBP running large sessions can let you know how loud the fans are, but heavy sessions will ramp up the fans unless you optimise down. Running straight audio tracks without too much plugin processing or instruments, off a high-bandwidth disk like an SSD will probably be fine, as there is less CPU involved.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: 16” (inch) MacBook Pro is strong enough?

Postby aviorrok » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm

desmond wrote:Anything that ramps up the CPU significantly for extended periods of time will ramp the fans in MBP's up - those machines don't have good cooling, so it's inevitable, unfortunately.

Any time the fans ramp up significantly it's annoying, so if you plan on regularly running large sessions at high sample rates, with heavy virtual instruments and plugins, you might want to think whether a laptop is really the best device for that task.

It'll do it for sure, and maybe someone else that has a 16" MBP running large sessions can let you know how loud the fans are, but heavy sessions will ramp up the fans unless you optimise down. Running straight audio tracks without too much plugin processing or instruments, off a high-bandwidth disk like an SSD will probably be fine, as there is less CPU involved.
Yeah I'm waiting for a comment from user with 16" MBP, but the CPU is not strong enough for 200 tracks and virtual instruments? I think KSHMR and Oak producers work with 16" MBP
16" is the most powerful MBP yet
aviorrok
Regular