You are here

Anyone use an external vu or led meter?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Anyone use an external vu or led meter?

Postby Peevy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I find a vectorscope very useful when recording. I use a little (obsolete) dk technology meter with my nagra vi, so I can see your thinking.

Looks like I may have to give it a try! :D
Peevy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:37 am

I recently discovered that I can provide the USB feed to my Clarity M *and* the power (using one of those Ripcord USB/power cables - 9V, but it seems to work OK) to it from the two USB ports on my X-Touch. Combined with a RAM mount to my X-Touch's pedestal it makes a very cable-tidy mixing station!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Peevy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 pm

I’m pleased to report that the Clarity M (with the cheap and cheerful analogue to digital converter as above) is working fine with the Zoom F8. (Stereo mini jack out of sub 1 & 2 to rca phonos into converter. Then connected via Toslink to Clarity M)

Loudness peak levels are about 8db up on the Clarity M as far as I can tell, but I’ve still to take a proper look at that. But main reason for the Clarity M with Zoom F8 is for the vector scope and correlation meter on location and that works great!

Also works perfect with my DAW. :D
Peevy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:56 pm

The Clarity M has become indispensable to me since loudness normalisation became the standard. Play the track through, check the screen - there's your answer. It really is that simple. I've always run mine as a plug-in on my monitoring output - it just sits there and does the job.

(Image moved to the right post for you! HR)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Telegraph Audio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:55 am

We use Soviet indicators in our devices. And we do the lighting ourselves. It looks very interesting and very comfortable.
Telegraph Audio
New here
Telegraph Audio. We shape the music.

Postby Telegraph Audio » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:20 am

Look at the https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 37#p645437 ! This is Soviet vu ! We use them in our devices! It is very beautiful and comfortable!
Telegraph Audio
New here
Telegraph Audio. We shape the music.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:02 pm

Sorry, I'm not really understanding these two posts?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Drive-by self-promo post...

Russian-made preamps/channel strips that use Russian-made backlit VU meters. Vaguely related subject I guess... but not actually relevant to the OP's requirement for a rack-mount meter system.

New member, not familiar with the ways of the SOS forum and English not the first language. An amount of slack is being cut...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby jodaki » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Regarding the Clarity M Stereo.

Is this better/more accurate than the plugin meters I use in Logic (Waves Dorrough and the Logic Loudness meter)?

If so then how would I best connect it, Ive got the following options:

- USB out from my computer

spare outputs from my converter:
- adat
- coaxial spdif

- with my crookwood monitor controller

Id probably prefer the USB option for simplicity if that will work as well as the other connection types.
jodaki
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:45 pm

jodaki wrote:Is this better/more accurate than the plugin meters...

It's the same -- Loudness measurements are defined precisely and every meter uses the same algorithms.

If so then how would I best connect it

It doesn't matter from an accuracy point of view as they are all straight digital feeds... so use whichever is more convenient.

However, you might want to connect it to the dedicated meter output of the monitor controller itself, so that it follows whatever you are listening to. The only downside with that is that the meter output on the Crookwood is usually analogue, so you'd need an A-D to feed the meter.

In my own setup I have an analogue BBC-style twin-twin PPM on the Crookwood monitor controller's outputs, and a DK technologies MSD600M++ digital meter across the digital record outputs of the Crookwood mastering console.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 pm

jodaki wrote:Id probably prefer the USB option for simplicity if that will work as well as the other connection types.
With USB it's pretty much a case of plug and forget. I've had no problems.

The pain for me was always having to trail the (very short) power cable to a convenient location, but once I discovered the trick above that became a non-issue.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby jodaki » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:26 am

The Elf wrote:With USB it's pretty much a case of plug and forget. I've had no problems.

I initially thought of this in terms of freeing up the screen space taken by the meter plugins in Logic when Im mixing (I have them open quite a lot). So getting the meters onto my desk would be great.

But I like Hugh's idea of meters across the monitor controller for general playback too so I can have a look at the levels of whatever Im playing. I think doing this would be a good exercise for tuning my ears.

With that in mind I'm thinking I might try connecting the Clarity M Stereo to BOTH its optical and USB ports and switching between them so it can monitor my controller and DAW.

I think I could take the analogue out of my controller, into a channel on a spare interface, then optically out to the Clarity M Stereo, and also connect the computer to the USB. I could turn off the DAW feed using the IO plugin and turn off the controller feed using my controller pod. Or even easier if the Clarity had a source select switch.
jodaki
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:11 am

I've been thinking about the same issue. On my audio interface (an Apollo 8) I've set the monitor output to bypass the output gain, i.e. disabling the AI's volume control because I'm using a monitor controller. The monitor output can be duplicated to the S/PDIF output so all I need do is plug the Clarity M into the S/PDIF and I'll get everything metered at it's full value from the interface. So I don't think I'd need to use the USB route at all. Does that sound right?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 am

Yes.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby BillB » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:56 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:At the other end of the scale (see what I did there? ;) ) there are things like the Thomann t-racks DB meter for less than £50... but you're looking at a standard chip-based meter like those in budget consoles which won't have particularly accurate ballistics. It does have input trimmers, though, so it can be calibrated to some extent.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.racks_dbmeter.htm

Just to follow up on this cheap 'VU Meter'. I was looking for something similar and came across an American Audio VU Meter - which appears to be identical to the Thomann unit. Having seen a number of YouTube videos which denounced its metering capabilities (as Hugh says, it could show the presence of a signal, but that's about it) I nonetheless picked one up because of this site:
http://kevin.kevino.org/tubes/aa.shtml
which goes into detail about the shortcomings of the unit but also provides a circuit/hack to better calibrate the meter. It is still on my list of rainy day projects, but strangely, there are never enough rainy days...
:headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext