You are here

TRS - always suitable for balanced I/O ... or not?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: TRS - always suitable for balanced I/O ... or not?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:On a related note though, is it likely to be problematic if (even short) non-balanced cables come close to power cables and extensions? I am forced to do a little of this at present, though I have tried to make them at right angles as much as possible as opposed to running alongside.

That's very unlikely to be a problem with line level signals fed from the typical low impedance source. I'd keep them away from power supplies though - just as a precaution.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm

Thanks James, that puts my mind at rest on one or two compromises I've had to make.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:This might be a naive question but ... if there is a common screen between the two cores how does that not short them and mess everything up? Or are you referring to a common screen in the mechanical sense, enclosing both cores rather than them being individually shielded? The latter I can understand, but just checking in case I'm wrong on the former.

Common screen in this context (I think) means the individual screens around each single core are shorted together to the sleeve of the TRS 'stereo' plug. As long as the cores themselves are separate it works fine for unbalanced connections. Twin cable with an overall screen (like mic cable) is not quite as good as the cores are next to each other without a screen between them so will be more susceptible to crosstalk.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:This might be a naive question but ... if there is a common screen between the two cores how does that not short them and mess everything up? Or are you referring to a common screen in the mechanical sense, enclosing both cores rather than them being individually shielded? The latter I can understand, but just checking in case I'm wrong on the former.

Common screen in this context (I think) means the individual screens around each single core are shorted together to the sleeve of the TRS 'stereo' plug.

Darn - of course, light dawns! :idea:

:thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:12 pm

You'd have worked it out for yourself soon enough Eddy :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous