You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby DGL. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 pm

There is this on their facebook from a George P., https://www.facebook.com/behringer/phot ... =3&theater , they have cleaned it up a bit and does looks good.

I was also thinking should the WS-1 be integrated or a separate add on like the original.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:11 pm

With the cheesey rhythm buttons that design flies in the face of the earlier quotation.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DGL. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 pm

And now they ate teasing yet another version of the TD-3, the TD-3-DF, one that appears to have the devilfish mods, I would say it needs red LED's as knob position indicators.

DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:28 pm

DGL. wrote:And now they ate teasing yet another version of the TD-3, the TD-3-DF, one that appears to have the devilfish mods
Can anyone explain what these are?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:34 pm

... and once again we have a user interface that is an extreme strain for those with poor eyesight. What is wrong with these people? :protest:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby BillB » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:37 pm

Mmmm, mid grey on slightly darker grey.
I can't see anything wrong with that.
Oh sorry, I meant I can't see anything... :shocked:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby DGL. » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm

The Elf wrote:
DGL. wrote:And now they ate teasing yet another version of the TD-3, the TD-3-DF, one that appears to have the devilfish mods
Can anyone explain what these are?

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/

Admittedly the one I have seen someone use is Scooter, who used one on the 2006 WGTLLN tour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJTe3a9X3ZM , although 'used' is questionable.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:12 pm

Ahh, another TB-30zzzzzzzzz eh? :boring:

Still, horses for courses or something like that.

When it comes to Jupiter 8, ARP 2600 and CS80 related things, I've already bought them in my head!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Yes, and Robin Whittle is quite annoyed about the way Behringer have handled the idea of taking on the mods he has made his business out of. His side of the story is on his site for those interested.

I think it's about time we saw some more original synth gear from Behringer. The Deepmind may have started as inspired by the Juno 106, but it ended up something else, and the Neutron seems like a good little thing. Haven't tried one, but the demos are good. There's clearly no shortage of market for 'tributes' though. But I do wonder how many more they're going to turn out before coming up with something new themselves.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby desmond » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:00 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Yes, and Robin Whittle is quite annoyed about the way Behringer have handled the idea of taking on the mods he has made his business out of. His side of the story is on his site for those interested.

It wasn't exactly a great way to lead a negotiation though - I read through the email chain rolling my eyes at the list of seemingly non-negotiable demands and many other rather questionable points...

Of course Ulli low-balled the offer, but that's where a negotiation starts. It looks to me like Robin was all like "big corporation, not going to profit of my work (although he's questionably been profiting off Roland's work), I'm going to either make a fortune or I'm not going to let them do it" - and it looks like he was just way off the mark in most of those things, and in what he could expect to get out of it...

Now Behringer will just do it anyway, he'll get nothing, and even worse, they'll saturate the market with a low priced product (if it isn't saturated for 303s enough already) making his existing business that bit harder. I can understand him not wanting to put his name on something he wasn't fully behind, of course.

Anyway... interesting read... :shocked: :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:55 pm

desmond wrote:Anyway... interesting read... :shocked: :headbang:

Quite!
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:45 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
I think it's about time we saw some more original synth gear from Behringer.

Given Behringers [previous] reputation, I doubt many would have jumped at a Behringer synth before they had established the reputation of their synth engineering team.

The clones are the low hanging fruit, the originals have been advertised and ranked for decades. With added bonus features and a low price they are easy to sell and make profit
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:02 pm

N i g e l wrote:Given Behringers [previous] reputation, I doubt many would have jumped at a Behringer synth before they had established the reputation of their synth engineering team.

Wasn't the Deepmind their first? I remember it drew quite a crowd at Synthfest a couple of years back when it was shown. Can't recall when the Neutron came out, whether it was before or after the D and whatnot, but it certainly feels like they've gone all-out for that low hanging fruit you mention. They've got 2 originals and something like 10 'tributes' now. I have no idea how sales compare across the various models, but it'd be interesting to see.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:47 pm

And if anyone else is still searching for Robin Whittle's viewpoint, it's here:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/beh ... uthorised/

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Steve A » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 pm

We often say on these pages that you don't need to register copyright on a song or composition because the copyright automatically belongs to you when you create something. I find it curious that in cases such like these, it is apparently only an expensive patent that can protect you from other people copying your designs.
Steve A
Regular

PreviousNext