You are here

Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Re: Yamaha 02R digital mixing console.

Postby Baily » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:50 pm

Hi there
I have a Yamaha 02R with an unit.y card with licens. Changed the battery last night and now it seems that I cant use the card.
It recognizes it in Utility - slot 3, but there is only --- --- --- --- at tape 1/2 etc.
Baily
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Can you post more information and some screen shots?
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby Baily » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi VTypeV4
Thanks for your reply. Have taken some screenshots, but is seems rather difficult to put them into a message here :(
The 02 R recognizes the Unit-y card, but I cant understand the routing from ex. track 1 (microphone).
The internal effectblocks are running perfect.
Im stucked...
Baily
New here

Postby James Perrett » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:36 pm

Baily wrote:Hi VTypeV4
Thanks for your reply. Have taken some screenshots, but is seems rather difficult to put them into a message here :(

This forum doesn't host images so you need to put them up somewhere and post a link here. Imgur.com seems to work well as an image hosting site for many people.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Senior » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 am

Just by the by, and not sure whether someone mentioned this already, but as regards the perceived sound-quality deficiencies some people have expressed about the original 02R: Frank Fillipetti recorded and mixed James Taylor's 'Hourglass' on it, winning a Best Engineering Grammy. Even used the built-in preamps, which I've heard a lot of people bad-mouthing.

Which is good enough for me...

:roll:
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:43 am

:D Just goes to show, it's really not the gear that makes the difference! It's the sound going in, and what you do with it! :think:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby VTypeV4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Very true, Hugh! :thumbup:

Whilst I'm unlikely to ever win any accolades for my mixing, I'm still very much a fan of my 02Rs after 6-7 years of and the TC Unity cards take them to the next level - I would happily mix anything on them. My DM2000 is very much 'bigger, better and shinier' but the differences between the two (I feel at least) isn't night and day like many would expect.. :clap:

Baily, can you explain your issues in a bit more detail and for pics, use flickr or such similar..
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

Postby Kwackman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Baily wrote:It recognizes it in Utility - slot 3, but there is only --- --- --- --- at tape 1/2 etc.

I haven't used an 02R in many years, but, can you put the "cursor" over one of those "---", and if so, if you rotate the data wheel, does it give you any choices?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Baily » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi there. Thanks for trying to help me with my 02 R. I can see, that it recognizes the UNIT card, but cant get an input/output. Here is some pictures.

Edited link to display images - JP
Baily
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Configuring the cards isn't the easiest or simplest of tasks and requires a bit of backwards and forwards around the menu system..

Without meaning to insult your intelligence, how did you have it configured before?

The M2000 units are driven from the bus or auxes configurable via the digital i/o page which are then usually selectable on the Unity engines page. As I recall in the inputs to drive the processors are highlighted above 'engine 1' and 'engine 2' and the output options are positioned below.

As for the Finalizer, it needs to be driven as an L/R insert requiring a different config on the digital i/o page. If remember correctly, you'll need to have auxes 6/5 selected on that page then either hold or double press (I can't recall, sorry) and it will give you the insert option.

You'll also find the card better to use running it in 'extended routing mode' so you don't waste any analogue or tape inputs

You can't drive any of the processing straight from the channels - you need to via a bus / aux or insert.

I don't know whether your card is the extra i/o type but the configuration for the outputs are on the digital i/o page whereas the inputs are on the unity page but they have zero processing available other than level control. I use these as FX returns to save mix channels on my 02Rs..

Hope that helps.
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:13 am

ImageUnity help by VTypeV4, on Flickr

This is the config on my main 'live' 02R although I have one with two TC cards in which was even more convoluted to configure without losing inputs.

Judging by your pictures, I think you need to enable 'Extended Routing' to allow 'internal' returns to be selected on the Unity page. Hope that helps - these things aren't the easiest!
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby Baily » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:19 am

Hi Vtype.
I'm really grateful that you want to help me. The problem is that I can see the UNIT-Y card but the process from the microphone input into the card is wrong. Utility page 2 shows what's installed, but I can't change anything. Otherwise it says mic 1/2 etc. Utility page 5 has an input of 0. Here I can not get signal through. Tried to cut the connexion to Extern, but didnt help. I know that Im doing something wrong.

Can you see the pictures Im sending?

https://imgur.com/a/72QXCal
Baily
New here

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 pm

No worries, hope we get it sorted. :thumbup: I can't see your image on the last post, sorry.

I'm assuming your card is an additional i/o unit and the difficulty you're having is getting signal into it and into your mix?

Go to Utility page on the unity card - this one: Access it page by typing '@@' and pressing 'DMP' on the normal Unity screen.

Image02R unity updates by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Once here, type 'IOST' into the command line and this should give the available i/o options so see what that throws up first, please.

If it's an ADAT / TDIF card, you'll need to choose between the two platforms 'in' and the same 'out' but it should show you the current settings on the next line down after typing the above into the command line.

IOAA means ADAT in and out.
IOAT means ADAT in, TDIF out.
IOTA means TDIF in, ADAT out.
IOTT means TDIF in and out.

Type any of the 'IO--' to configure the inputs and outputs how you prefer.

https://warehousesound.com/r/tcUNITYmanual.pdf

Have a look at page 12 in the manual to configure how the console / card process your audio inputs. Because your card is in Slot 3, by using the the 'extended' i/o, you should be able to use your FX returns without losing any mic or tape inputs. If you wanted to use the inputs from your card, you'll need to give up mic inputs 1-8 and configure the input source in the 02R menu system - can't quite remember where that is but I'm sure it's not too buried in the operating system.

Hope that helps. :SOS:
VTypeV4
Regular

Postby Baily » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi
It says AES EBU IO card
Baily
New here

Postby DGL. » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Mike Senior wrote:Just by the by, and not sure whether someone mentioned this already, but as regards the perceived sound-quality deficiencies some people have expressed about the original 02R: Frank Fillipetti recorded and mixed James Taylor's 'Hourglass' on it, winning a Best Engineering Grammy. Even used the built-in preamps, which I've heard a lot of people bad-mouthing.

Which is good enough for me...

:roll:

Although to show their use in a modern genre from ~98/99 onwards till about 2012/3 Scooter used 02r's in their studio, replacing a large MCI? analogue desk. They ended up having about 6 of them for the various rooms, with two in the main studio (and I believe even used live). I will say that the Rick mixed/mastered stuff did always sound pretty good so the 02r's mustn't have been a hinderance.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext