You are here

Vox Microphone for ‘Screamo’ Music

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Vox Microphone for ‘Screamo’ Music

Postby Klaus_UK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Hello,

I use the term screamo as although maybe not the most accurate word to describe the genre in question, it means you all get what I mean!

Could I ask the forum’s opinion on which microphone you’d select for a male singer of this genre, playing in small/medium sized venues. Due to the sheer noise of the rest of the band, the usual suspects (SM58 etc.) are not cutting it (pun intended).

The vocalist likes to spend most of his time in the crowd, so feedback resistance is a real issue and the wall of sound presented by the band hides what usable sound does come through. Desk will be 9/10 a X32 or M32, so I will have that level of functionality/tonal control to try and get things sounding good.

Currently I’m looking at the e845, e865, or Beta 57A as options.

The overriding factor is choosing a microphone that can sufficiently reject feedback and also the high volume of the surrounding band. I currently have a couple of Beta58A but they didn’t suit the style or provide enough isolation annoyingly
Klaus_UK
Poster

Re: Vox Microphone for ‘Screamo’ Music

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Quick question Klaus, how does the singer hold the microphone?
I've lost track of the number of people struggling with feedback rejection when they've been dealing with a singer who cups the mic. Good technique can make more difference than microphone choice.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 pm

If Beta 58 doesn't hack it then I doubt the Beta 57 will either. I haven't used either but the Heilsound and Audix OM7 have a rep for better than average feedback rejection. Just a thought, if the singer cups the mic basket the best hypercardioid* is going to be closer to an omni with all the feedback issues that generates.

The final option, as unpalatable as it might be, is to turn the band down.

* The OM7 claims to be less affected than most.

edit :- Drew got there first. :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Korff » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've lost track of the number of people struggling with feedback rejection when they've been dealing with a singer who cups the mic.

There's a handy solution for that...

The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Klaus_UK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:49 pm

The Korff wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I've lost track of the number of people struggling with feedback rejection when they've been dealing with a singer who cups the mic.

There's a handy solution for that...

That’s metal.
Klaus_UK
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:51 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fabulous! Should be a standard accessory!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Klaus_UK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:54 pm

blinddrew wrote:Quick question Klaus, how does the singer hold the microphone?
I've lost track of the number of people struggling with feedback rejection when they've been dealing with a singer who cups the mic. Good technique can make more difference than microphone choice.
Job Title: Sound Engineer / Firefighter

Yes, I’m aware of that and do what can be done to manage technique however ultimately the band are in charge so all I can is give myself the best chance through good microphone selection and then the rest is down to them.
Klaus_UK
Poster

Postby Klaus_UK » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 pm

I hadn’t considered the OM7 however that looks to be just the ticket!
Klaus_UK
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Klaus_UK wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Quick question Klaus, how does the singer hold the microphone?
Job Title: Sound Engineer / Firefighter

Yes, I’m aware of that and do what can be done to manage technique however ultimately the band are in charge so all I can is give myself the best chance through good microphone selection and then the rest is down to them.
The best I've managed to get with some folks is to equate it with any of the other band members and how they've had to learn to use their kit (be it pedals, amps, sticks) as well as their instrument. Kind of play to that 'your voice is your instrument, your technique gets the most out of it'. Sometimes it works, sometimes you're p***ing into the wind.

I do like the barbed wire basket protector though - for certain genres it would definitely act as an image enhancer. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Klaus_UK wrote:I hadn’t considered the OM7 however that looks to be just the ticket!
But the singer does need a consistent mic technique and keep it close and in the same position. The very tight polar pattern means that if you wander off-mic even a small bit, the vocal level will drop significantly. But you won't get a stage mic with a tighter pickup pattern.

Even so, pointing the mic at the FOH speakers will still cause feedback, so technique is everything.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:19 pm

If you've got a screaming vocalist who can't be heard with an SM58 then I'd say the problem isn't the microphone. Yes, an OM7 has a tighter pickup pattern but with a loud vocalist the SM58 should work.

Are you using compression or distortion on the vocals? If not used in the right way these can both reduce the gain before feedback. As already mentioned, the singer also needs a sensible microphone technique.

And lastly - is the PA loud enough to overcome the sound of the band?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Humble Bee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 pm

For high feedback resistance I use the EV ND96. It sounds really good to IMO.

:thumbup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:38 am

Coming a bit late to this - certainly technique is the most important aspect, as well as having sensible levels.

Having achieved that and if you still need a microphone with better feedback rejection, then the Audix OM7 is the best we've come across. We actually undertook tests on several microphones some years ago and the OM7 was head and shoulders above the rest - BUT - you have to eat it and stay on mic - lips touching the grill!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby ef37a » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:50 am

Differential pair Gaffered together?

Been a while since I was in a pub with a band but over many years hearing them I almost never got much of what the singer was doing! Generally bands do not have a Scooby about balance and what is physically possible with amplified microphones.

I have just seen that the OM7 has an even lower sensitivity than a 7b at 0.8mV/Pa. Maybe put a 10dB XLR slug in the mic cable and scream even louder?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:35 am

James Perrett wrote:If you've got a screaming vocalist who can't be heard with an SM58 then I'd say the problem isn't the microphone. Yes, an OM7 has a tighter pickup pattern but with a loud vocalist the SM58 should work.

Are you using compression or distortion on the vocals? If not used in the right way these can both reduce the gain before feedback. As already mentioned, the singer also needs a sensible microphone technique.

And lastly - is the PA loud enough to overcome the sound of the band?

This ^

I'm also guessing this has nothing to do with the microphone.

And if the band is that screamingly loud on its own, there's probably no headroom left anyway (in the audience's ears) for an even louder vocal.

But as so often with self diagnosed problems, posting a recording from the audience is probably better than" a thousand words". Give us what you're hearing... Your diagnosis that the problem is with the mic may be completely wrong.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next