You are here

Wifi Hell Live

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Wifi Hell Live

Postby Wonks » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:22 pm

Indeed, the other points are all important and valid, but the XR12s and 18s are being advertised and sold as units with inbuilt wi-fi. This is obviously true, but it's a useless wi-fi connection. Had they just had an RJ45 point for an external wi-fi router, then that would be different.

The reality is that you have to spend more money and carry round more equipment. Which is bad news for those people who've spent ages saving up for an XR12 or XR18 and don't have the cash for any extra items.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:04 pm

I got my Ethernet to lightning adapter yesterday and tested it. Works well enough. I also got a goodly long length of cable which will go into my usual cable box. So at the very least I can survive another tough venue.

I’m still tempted by the rack router though.. :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Music Wolf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:11 pm

Dave B wrote:which will go into my usual cable box.

Get you with your lah-de-dah Southern Cable Boxes. Up here in t'North we make do with Cable Bags.

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 pm

There's posh now.....

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Bags?! Proper Yorkshiremen carry cables in their teeth! Yer sutthern nancies! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Just say 'no' if The Elf offers you any brown cables. They're the one's he couldn't carry in his teeth. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ben howes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:39 am

It's also worth noting that the built in AP of the xr18 will only support 4 clients, possibly 5.
I've been using a £40 TP link router for a few years without any drama. It's worth using a router that has 5ghz , a less crowded RF band. 5 gig has noticeably less lag to control the mixer compared with 2.4g.
I set up IP address reservation for each of our devices, with a static IP for the mixer. Makes things reliable with regards to a crowded WiFi environment. It's worth spending the time on this, only have to do it once.
Overall the xr has been fantastic, I forgive them the inconvenience!
ben howes
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:56 pm

ben howes wrote:It's also worth noting that the built in AP of the xr18 will only support 4 clients, possibly 5.
I've been using a £40 TP link router for a few years without any drama. It's worth using a router that has 5ghz , a less crowded RF band. 5 gig has noticeably less lag to control the mixer compared with 2.4g.
I set up IP address reservation for each of our devices, with a static IP for the mixer. Makes things reliable with regards to a crowded WiFi environment. It's worth spending the time on this, only have to do it once.
Overall the xr has been fantastic, I forgive them the inconvenience!
Yes to all this - the connection limit of the inbuild AP is the real gotcha when you're at an event, as grazing punters can take up those connections even without being able to make an active connection. Hence the classic "it was fine at soundcheck, but failed at the gig" that hits people - it much more about this, than the RF power of the router.

And you're doing all the right things - 5GHz is noticably faster to sync, even if it doesn't have the range of 2.4GHz. And yes, static IP address for the mixer, and reserved IP addresses for clients. This stuff is what leaves quite a few users completely cold if they have no networking background, though.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

AlecSp wrote:the connection limit of the inbuild AP is the real gotcha when you're at an event, as grazing punters can take up those connections even without being able to make an active connection. Hence the classic "it was fine at soundcheck, but failed at the gig" that hits people - it much more about this, than the RF power of the router.

I'd never thought of that, what is the client limit for my router (Apple Airport Express)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:34 am

Update: I sprung for the rack router. I wasn’t put off by the engineering comments and treat them as warnings rather than reasons not to buy. It arrived last week, so has been set up, tested, and installed into my small rack along with the headphone amp. I also have my old Airport Express as a WiFi back (need to persuade the XR18 to talk to it still) as well as my lightning to Ethernet adapter and varying lengths of cable. My QSC is back from repairs too and is quite happy using a usb-Ethernet dongle so both mixers are able to go into the router wired.

Testing at home looks great, so roll on next weeks band rehearsal to thrash it a bit. And then the next gig.

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Previous