You are here

Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Stephen Bennett wrote:(if you remove the Novatron badge it says 'Mellotron' underneath. Oh those heady days when they couldn't use the real name!)
I recall having a brief word with a certain Mr Hackett on this subject. He wouldn't sell me his old Mellotrons, though!

I never realised the old badge was under there. Amazing! :headbang:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14529
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby MOF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:46 pm

That studio looks amazing, but there is a definitely a whiff of elitism going on as well.

They do rent it out so it’s not that elitist.
I found myself changing my point of view as the video progressed.
Initially I just thought it was weird and not something I’ll be replicating but it’s no different to some studios/engineers refusing to go digital.
It certainly lends itself to sci-fi film soundtracks. I would have thought it possible to emulate it with something like Reaktor.
It was interesting to hear the results of those oscillators and filters etc being ‘performed’ through the mixer, it reminded me of 10cc creating the I’m not in love vocal backing track with each group member fading up different faders to create each chord.
I enjoyed their enthusiasm and willingness to incorporate other ways of doing electronic music.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Adam Inglis » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KQ9se5PHQg

Thought this was worth watching, and I’m also interested in early electronic music, as the sounds aren’t so stereotyped or easily described or pigeon holed, there is a mystery about them. The owner of this studio talks about this, and it’s very fascinating.
An inspiring video by Hainbach, also a very interesting guy.

Thanks Arpangel, very interesting.
I would submit, however, the piece of equipment with the most potential for creative sound-mangling in that studio is simply the analogue mixing desk, with it's aux sends.
Audio feedback loops controllable at a touch of a knob or a fader are incredibly powerful genies for that sort of music (but you must keep your hand ready on the stopper of the bottle ;-))
User avatar
Adam Inglis
Regular
Posts: 422
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Gold Coast Queensland Australia

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Adam Inglis wrote:I would submit, however, the piece of equipment with the most potential for creative sound-mangling in that studio is simply the analogue mixing desk, with it's aux sends.
Audio feedback loops controllable at a touch of a knob or a fader are incredibly powerful genies for that sort of music (but you must keep your hand ready on the stopper of the bottle ;-))
Interesting observation!
Feedback is something I’ve not played round with in the studio. One of my mixers, the WORNG Sound Stage, allows for self patching to create resonant feedback with the filter control. I will have to try it out!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:22 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:Feedback is something I’ve not played round with in the studio. One of my mixers, the WORNG Sound Stage, allows for self patching to create resonant feedback with the filter control. I will have to try it out!

Hi Ben,

Self-feedback is the main reason I ended up buying a JoMoX T-Resonator MkII effects unit, as I was keen to explore the possibilities:

Image

I ended up using it a lot on a track entitled 'Back To Back' (which it really suited, as it was designed to be rather over the top anyway ;) ). Its controlled feedback effects are most obvious in the latter part of this snippet, from 0:40 onwards:

Listen to it in action on this track of mine: https://soundcloud.com/yew-tree-magic/b ... lectronica

The Elf might like this track too, as I totally overdosed on Mellotron sounds 8-)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 15908
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Oh man, that was AMAZING! Love the reso-bass! Did you play the guitar, or is it samples?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Folderol » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Very tasty {looks over shoulder for the baddies} :thumbup:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10844
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:16 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:Feedback is something I’ve not played round with in the studio. One of my mixers, the WORNG Sound Stage, allows for self patching to create resonant feedback with the filter control. I will have to try it out!

Hi Ben,

Self-feedback is the main reason I ended up buying a JoMoX T-Resonator MkII effects unit, as I was keen to explore the possibilities:

Image

I ended up using it a lot on a track entitled 'Back To Back' (which it really suited, as it was designed to be rather over the top anyway ;) ). Its controlled feedback effects are most obvious in the latter part of this snippet, from 0:40 onwards:

Listen to it in action on this track of mine: https://soundcloud.com/yew-tree-magic/b ... lectronica

The Elf might like this track too, as I totally overdosed on Mellotron sounds 8-)


Martin

Very nice Martin, and yes, modular is based on feedback for me, just one module can produce interesting results, Maths, and my Doepfer A143-1 were stars at this. But anything can be pressed into service for feedback.
I used to have a valve Ferrograph tape recorder plugged into a Zenta guitar amp, connected up to feed back, the results were sublime, similar to the sounds on Nico's album "Then End" sublime.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4259
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Getting away from the "synthesiser" sound.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:Oh man, that was AMAZING! Love the reso-bass! Did you play the guitar, or is it samples?

The reso-bass was me (using Spectrasonics' Omnisphere IIRC), and the five guitars were real, played by my musical partner Mitt on his old tour stack, really loud and miked up, so he could achieve plenty of controlled feedback (which features heavily at the end of the track).


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 15908
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Previous