You are here

the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Postby ken long » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:17 pm

johnny h wrote:Please, everyone who has bought a Behringer product in the last 30 days, consider returning your purchase.

but it was so cheap!
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Agharta » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 pm

johnny h wrote:Its impossible to ignore the antisemitic overtones used in the image. Kirn is a Jewish surname, and here you have the classic 1930s tropes of the beard, big nose, wild eyes, sinister grin and money grabbing hands. To think that a German company, set up and ran by a German, would not be acutely aware of these overtones is quite a stretch.

The guy has a beard and glasses and the nose I took as a Pinocchio reference!
I have no idea if you are correct but your typical over the top attitude means I discount you as a credible source.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:25 pm

Just got a screenshot from a friend of mine who does Facebook - I've censored the name and chopped out some irrelevant content thus two images now:

My cancellation of the Poly-D stands, especially as the alternative thing I ordered is rather more enticing to me.

After the Hydra I won't be buying any more gear for a while anyway (got to pay attention to the roof conversion!), so with regards to Behringer I'll keep an eye on things and see how they develop over the next 3 months or so.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby johnny h » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:34 pm

Agharta wrote:
johnny h wrote:Its impossible to ignore the antisemitic overtones used in the image. Kirn is a Jewish surname, and here you have the classic 1930s tropes of the beard, big nose, wild eyes, sinister grin and money grabbing hands. To think that a German company, set up and ran by a German, would not be acutely aware of these overtones is quite a stretch.
The guy has a beard and glasses and the nose I took as a Pinocchio reference!
I have no idea if you are correct but your typical over the top attitude means I discount you as a credible source.
What a pathetic ad-hominem argument.
Pinocchio:Image
Classic anti-semitic descriptions of Jews:Image
Case closed.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:44 pm

johnny h wrote:What a pathetic ad-hominem argument.
[cherry-picked images snipped]
Case closed.

Given that Kirn has a beard and glasses it's way more a Pinocchio reference. They were accusing him of mistruth, thus the long nose.

But you'll see what you want to see and call anyone who doesn't agree you an idiot so this idiot will leave you to it :crazy:

Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby Agharta » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 pm

People see whatever they want to see and I (again) see nothing from JH as he's back on my ignore list; well he lasted about a week or so.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:16 pm

ken long wrote:
johnny h wrote:Please, everyone who has bought a Behringer product in the last 30 days, consider returning your purchase.

but it was so cheap!

Oh absolutely, those with lesser incomes shouldn’t even be allowed to look at a synthesiser let alone be able to buy one. Synths for the rich kids only, say I.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:59 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I wouldn't even be surprised if some bright spark made that video unofficially as an internal joke, it did the rounds and in their childish delight the company thought it would be 'fun' to make it public 'for a laugh'. That's idle speculation of course.

If it was a real piece of hardware then it has taken a bit of effort in the model shop to knock it up [ Friday afternoon job ? ]. The videos production values were good too, also requiring effort. Or maybe it was just a quick computer simulation, I cant tell.

I now know who Peter Kern is and what he does !

Behringer do have a right of reply but im dissappointed they went for the person rather than his viewpoint.

Originally I saw the cartoon as a Pinnochio type figure and now I see it is a cartoon pinnochioised version of PK. The Pinnochio nose was a symbol of lying and not being able to believe what he said, so Behringer imply they dont agree with what he says.

I would hope there would be an apology forthcomming

{edit}
apparently there was an apology, im a bit behind...
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:02 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
johnny h wrote:What a pathetic ad-hominem argument.
[cherry-picked images snipped]
Case closed.

Given that Kirn has a beard and glasses it's way more a Pinocchio reference. They were accusing him of mistruth, thus the long nose.

But you'll see what you want to see and call anyone who doesn't agree you an idiot so this idiot will leave you to it :crazy:
I’m not calling you or anyone else an idiot for having a different opinion. I do think you’re being very generous in giving the benefit of the doubt about ignoring certain factors - the hand position, sinister grin and crazy eyes which have nothing to do with Peter or Pinocchio yet mysteriously ended up very prominently on the artwork.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:07 am

nope, im still not getting the likeness you suggest. Looks more like a lefthanded kb player that is about to turn the ACIDITY knob.

I think the synths are designed in the UK anyway, maybe not much to do with Germany.

I do think the trademark text looks a bit like a Japanese KORK font.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 am

johnny h wrote:I’m not calling you or anyone else an idiot for having a different opinion. I do think you’re being very generous in giving the benefit of the doubt about ignoring certain factors - the hand position, sinister grin and crazy eyes which have nothing to do with Peter or Pinocchio yet mysteriously ended up very prominently on the artwork.

When you put it in reasonable terms like that, it's a fair thing to say even though I have a different interpretation. The hand position and drawing style is reminiscent of any number of cartoons (Peanuts and The Simpsons spring to mind). I was thinking that the grin reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it, then it hit me.

Anyone remember that weird character Noseybonk from the 80s children's TV schedules?

Yep :D

It's a cartoon, so there would be typically cartoon-like features in it. Hands check out as pretty normal for the style, the nose infers lying and also ties into the whole 'corksniffer' thing, the grin is a classic cartoon/clown thing, the beard is of no consequence because Peter has one and if Behringer was stupid enough to intentionally make it antisemitic then I doubt they'd be smart enough to do what they do.

I get what your seeing but to me it just doesn't add up.

In short, a stupid stunt, badly couched, swiftly judged, soon removed, apology made. I have a feeling they will be more mindful going forward, and that is no bad thing.

They have also been called out publicly on the whole trademark and "company bashing critic" thing, which again is no bad thing. I think Uli got carried away on that front and I wouldn't defend it for a moment.

Plus it cost them the sale of at least one Poly D. I'm sanguine at this point.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.

Postby ken long » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:03 am

Rich Hanson wrote:
ken long wrote:

but it was so cheap!

Oh absolutely, those with lesser incomes shouldn’t even be allowed to look at a synthesiser let alone be able to buy one. Synths for the rich kids only, say I.

You're being flippant. Tons of gear around from companies who behave ethically. Never has any of this stuff been so cheap and democratic.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 am

Yes, I'm being flippant, however many of us thought that Behringer had changed and cleaned up their act and were willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The current range is making available designs that would otherwise be out of reach of any of us mere mortals, my VC340 sounds near identical to my friend's VP330 for example.

Of course, after this debacle, Behringer have set themselves back and I'm seriously considering whether I want to hang on to it now.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby IAA » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:01 am

Plus it cost them the sale of at least one Poly D
...and a 2600!
I’m going to go Korg odyssey, my brief interest in Behringer has dissolved, what a crummy thing to do. As much as anything else it’s the bullying of critics, I’m glad it was called out.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 am

I think I will probably sell the VC340, it feels tainted now. Maybe I'm being daft, I don't know, but that's how I feel about it.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext