You are here

SSL 2 and 2+

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: SSL 2 and 2+

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:18 pm

The Elf wrote:Without digital connectivity you'd better like what the pre's give you, because bypassing them with a pre of your own choice (with digital output) is not on offer. That pretty much kills this one for me.

I am sure that larger, more featured interfaces from SSL will follow. This is a KA2 style equivalent, not a KA6 one.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Wonks wrote:
The Elf wrote:Without digital connectivity you'd better like what the pre's give you, because bypassing them with a pre of your own choice (with digital output) is not on offer. That pretty much kills this one for me.

I am sure that larger, more featured interfaces from SSL will follow. This is a KA2 style equivalent, not a KA6 one.
If SSL do ever come up with that device I would be in line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Given all the things you're apparently buying your bank account must be positively bulging with spare cash... :lol: :bouncy: :thumbup:

I’ve got to spend it Hugh, before my partner does..... :)
I never thought in a million years that I would be in the position I’m in now.
Life is strange.
It gives you a different perspective, some things loose value in my mind, some things gain it.

:angel:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave.P » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Instant GAS and wondering if there is a review in the SOS plans for the coming months?
Dave.P
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:30 pm

It's a bugger innit, I'm trying to 'de-clutter' so am selling anything I think will bring enough to be worth the hassle of ebay and posting. There's not much new stuff I really want these days, I've got most of it and expensive studio kit is not on the agenda as what I have exceeds my skill level by a good margin. And, money is no longer a significant problem, we're not wealthy but we can pay the bills so, while that Shelby Cobra is out of reach a tidy 1990 MX5 to replace the tatty one I sold last spring is not (though I haven't bought one of those either FWIW).

I fancy a better boat but would have to sell one of the ones I have and I have become attached to both so that may not be an option and reducing the amount of 'stuff' is the order of the day*.

If you've read the other thread you'll know that a good (though not especially close) friend died suddenly this week. I was already doing all of the above but it suddenly seems more urgent....

* bloody guilt, I wish I could just enjoy all my cr@p and to hell with those who will have to dispose of it after I'm gone :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It's a bugger innit, I'm trying to 'de-clutter' so am selling anything I think will bring enough to be worth the hassle of ebay and posting. There's not much new stuff I really want these days, I've got most of it and expensive studio kit is not on the agenda as what I have exceeds my skill level by a good margin. And, money is no longer a significant problem, we're not wealthy but we can pay the bills so, while that Shelby Cobra is out of reach a tidy 1990 MX5 to replace the tatty one I sold last spring is not (though I haven't bought one of those either FWIW).

I fancy a better boat but would have to sell one of the ones I have and I have become attached to both so that may not be an option and reducing the amount of 'stuff' is the order of the day*.

If you've read the other thread you'll know that a good (though not especially close) friend died suddenly this week. I was already doing all of the above but it suddenly seems more urgent....

* bloody guilt, I wish I could just enjoy all my cr@p and to hell with those who will have to dispose of it after I'm gone :(

Sam, I’m always up for buying interesting bits of kit, pm me if you think I may be able to boost your funds.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby kobi farhi » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 am

its usable as phone/tablet soundcard !!
So- I've been looking for a reliable 2in-2out usb interface to use with my Laptop and acquired a ssl2+ usb audio interface. so far so good - its a great device and I can only give a thumbs up for SSL team for this product .

The reason for this post is that I just realized it can be used with a smartphone! So I can now record any mic or instrument straight into the phone while filming
needless to say why we all want such a Toy
Only issue was that the sound from the 1st preamp goes to the left of the stereo recording and the 2nd preamp goes to the right channel. I fixed that by using a Y cable splitting the mic into both preamps

Notice-
1st-if you try this at home - its on your own risk - I didn't see any advertising from SSL about this option.I used mine with a xiomi note 10 pro phone.
2nd- if you connect both inputs as I did- I would avoid using phantom power unless someone from SSL tells me its not risky for the device

check this video link where I demonstrate it :
https://youtu.be/kHZGBsaIdRo
kobi farhi
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:16 am

kobi farhi wrote:The reason for this post is that I just realized it can be used with a smartphone!

This is useful to know although fairly common nowadays. Most phones and tablets made in the last 5 years (and plently of older devices) should be able to make use of a class compliant USB audio interface.

kobi farhi wrote:2nd- if you connect both inputs as I did- I would avoid using phantom power unless someone from SSL tells me its not risky for the device

If it is designed in the same way as most other mic inputs with phantom power then it will be perfectly safe to have phantom power active on one input while splitting the signal to another unpowered input. However, I wouldn't switch phantom on for both inputs as this would increase the voltage that the mic sees and could possibly damage the mic if the design relies on there being exactly the right value of resistance between the signal pins and 48V.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:55 am

Now, I am sure I shall get stick for this...and I KNOW it's an "SSL" but I think the lack of at least two extra line inputs even on the 2+ is bloody mean as is the lack of S/PDIF. ADAT might be being a bit greedy at the price but not digital 2 in2 out.

The inclusion of MIDI impresses me not in the least, should be on all AIs. Must cost next to FA to implement.

When I first read the review of the SSL I assumed they were a direct challenge to the MOTUs, not so and I would go for the M4.

Would be an interesting exercise for someone to A/B the MOTU and the SSL? Bet you could not get a fag paper between them even on the best monitors in the best room!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:46 pm

ef37a wrote:Now, I am sure I shall get stick for this...and I KNOW it's an "SSL" but I think the lack of at least two extra line inputs even on the 2+ is bloody mean as is the lack of S/PDIF. ADAT might be being a bit greedy at the price but not digital 2 in2 out.

The inclusion of MIDI impresses me not in the least, should be on all AIs. Must cost next to FA to implement.

When I first read the review of the SSL I assumed they were a direct challenge to the MOTUs, not so and I would go for the M4.

Would be an interesting exercise for someone to A/B the MOTU and the SSL? Bet you could not get a fag paper between them even on the best monitors in the best room!

Dave.

All of this, and yes, Motu wins out, just more of everything, and the sound quality differences will be negligible, if at all noticeable. Of course I can’t be certain of that, but they will be good enough not to matter.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:42 pm

Horses for courses, innit! For me the additional headphone out on the 2+ is a pretty big plus. And I do like the form factor with all the controls on the top.
Sam Inglis

Postby shufflebeat » Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm

New toy (2+) arrived yesterday.

Much to explore. It already sounds better than my previous setup due to the free Confirmation Bias VST that seems to have come along with it.

Let's go plinking!!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Forum Admin » Thu May 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Zukan wrote:https://www.solidstatelogic.com/interfaces

The specs are perfect for my needs but I am always of the mind that a review by one of our illustrious dudes would yield better results than clocking a pic with a hanky.

Just spotted this topic and realised nobody had posted a link to the SOS review of the 2+, so here you go:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ssl-2-plus
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,382 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby progger » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:48 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:To be fair to SSL, their acquisition by Audiotonix has provided access to massively more cost-effective manufacturing in the Far East for smaller products like this (and the Six, and the Fusion), while still retaining their excellent high-end circuit designs and excellent build quality. The Six is astonishingly well built -- way better than any equivalently sized/priced mixer currently on the market.

Hugh, I appreciate your take on the SSL Six and I'm wondering if you've been able to investigate the SSL 2+ since this thread surfaced! It's certainly taken the lower-end market by storm and seems to be backordered everywhere. (I'm sure supply chain issues caused by the virus don't help.) Do you think it's been living up to the hype? Remotely worthy of the SSL badge?
progger

Postby Kwackman » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:17 pm

It was reviewed in the magazine...
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ssl-2-plus
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Previous