You are here

One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge IV - The Voyage(r) Home

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:29 pm

When I had my quick listen I quickly came to the conclusion that people are being rather cunning. On the previous challenges I managed to get a bit of a hint from composition style, but not this time :tongue:
There are a couple I'm pretty sure of, but for the rest - not a clue so far :shocked:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Dave B » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:57 pm

desmond wrote:12 - This is funny, so I'd say it was Dave, but I don't think he's this clever. Or does that well on zer chermann akkzent.

Oi!! Actually, you are right - it's not me. Which just makes the rest of your comments depressingly truthful ...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby arkieboy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 pm

I’m so out of touch with what’s available these days I’m not sure I can make any kind of guesses at all. I’ll say one thing though - if we packaged this whole round up on iTunes there would be no justice if it didn’t sell by the bucketload because everything is fabulous.

I also say the ordering of the tracks works really well too, big bold opening statement finishing with humour and then a slightly left-field afterword. This is going to keep me entertained for a while. Well done and big thanks, Mr. B.

First impressions …

track 1 - Radiophonic Workshop indeed BJG145 - isn’t it called ‘Astronauts’ or something like that? Never owned an ARP but there's that kind of zing to the oscillators I always associate with Arp synths so I’ll concur with The Elf and guess Korg or Behringer Odyssey. Didn't they have an Odyssey on a trolley they wheeled between the studios around that time? Given the inevitable Doctor Who link and that I’m certain I've seen a whiteface minikey KOdyssey at Chez Boland, I would normally have pointed a finger somewhere in that direction, but then there's track 12 ...

(and I don’t believe the denial for a minute - I swear he was playing a couple of Bryan Adams tunes in rehearsal recently!)

track 2 - I see what Elf says about guitar synth because there’s something about the note choice and inversions which easily fall under a guitarists fingers. So let’s disappear down that hole: if it is, I can’t imagine it being a GR55 - because that’s just cheesy Roland S+S isn’t it(?) - or the SY300 - because that’s a bit thin and has only limited polyphony. So if it is a guitar synth then it would have to be the new Boss SY1000, and I’d really like to know how he/she got the bell-like sounds because they’re great. Really, really enjoyed this track. Stab at the composer - Blind Drew because he confessed to cheating or Random Guitarist because that would be fitting.

track 3 - Definitely reminiscent of Novation, I feel could get somewhere in the ballpark of that with my Supernova II. Peak?

track 4 - FMish. I’m wondering if its isn’t some kind of plugin because of the depth of the programming. Getting sounds like that out of an average UI - yet alone a FS1R - would be a feat, but surely you'd need something as deep as a FS1R to get this kind of effect.

track 5 - no idea at all. Beautiful sounds.

track 6 - there’s something Novation/Roland VA about this - some of the timbres sound like they could make noises that would have DJs raising devils horns to a hyped out audience, but have been very cleverly and creatively repurposed to do something entirely different. Lovely mood.

track 7 - the quality of the percussion sounds scream modular, and lots of things sound bi-timbral to my fekked-up ears so it could still be, but you wonder if its not a very cleverly programmed workstation. Not a clue. Always impressed when the percussion is synthesised from scratch.

track 8 - great groove and production. Sounds like there could be a couple of synthesis engines going on in here. I’d buy this synth. Really enjoyed the track too. Kronos?

track 9 - no idea here either. Loved the groove in the first half too.

(Not much use at this game!)

track 10 - honestly I’m not just regurgitating things that The Elf said, but reminded me of the sorts of things that Logic Sculpture makes - another modelling synth. Really good far-east feel and fab sounds.

track 11 - sounds more Moog than Obie to me. Doesn’t someone on the forum have a Moog One? I’d buy one of these in an instant too but I suspect I'd have to re-mortgage the house for the deposit.

track 12 - I couldn’t work out what the synth on the track was cause I was p*ssing myself laughing. Boland - its you again isn’t it? Or someone throwing a deliberate googly pretending to be you. Faux-Kraftwerk is becoming a theme for these OSCs and this acquits its responsibility with a well blown raspberry. Fekkin perfect.

track 13 - Now this sounds very much like a Radiophonic Workshop composition - I could so easily imagine this gently pointing out that there is something vaguely absurd developing in the foreground on video. A real ear worm too and the sounds perfectly rhyme with the composition.
arkieboy
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:08 pm

I am possibly the least synthy person on these forums so I'm not even going to guess at the origins (human or techical) but I am thoroughly enjoying the tunes.
Little moments that stand out:
Track 1 - that descending run at the end, would be flashy anywhere else but wraps up perfectly.
Track 2 - the opening reverse sounds and then the fact that the melody seems so recognisable and then drifts away just as you think you've got it.
Track 3 - great stereo/mono work on the intro.
Track 4 - love that growly intro and that slappy bass.
Track 5 - clattering stuff works surprisingly well.
Track 6 - lovely pizzacato cello-ey sounds and goes lovely and sinister for a bit at about 2:15. I'm going to take a stab at Yoshimi for this one. But maybe not Will, maybe Eddy?
Track 7 - Love that marimba-y sound.
Track 8 - cracking intro! The 80s called, they want their zeitgeist back! ;)
Track 9 - I think 'squelchy' was the word used earlier - love that horror scream at the minute mark.
Track 10 - love the world music feel on this and those pops certainly grab the attention.
Track 11 - the cascade of harmony lines after the minute mark.
Track 12 - "It vas a satisfactory experience". Got to be Dr Huge surely?
Track 13 - Is this CC using the Yoshimi Pi? Classic folky style.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:20 pm

From what I've read above I think the synth used on at least one of the tracks is going to come as something of a surprise to a few people ;)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:From what I've read above I think the synth used on at least one of the tracks is going to come as something of a surprise to a few people ;)

You and you damn Stylophone... :protest: :headbang: :bouncy:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:38 pm

Track 6 is interesting. It's entirely string sounds. Now that's something that Yoshimi really excels at, yet nobody has suggested it. Having said that, I don't think it is.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Ahem!

I mean, I'm probably wrong, but I suggest it!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Just listening to track 12 again. Firstly it reminds me of just how good a songwriter Bryan Adams was, but secondly, with regard to the new lyrics here, does anyone else find them actually very poignant?
"You know, I really miss those wires.

Nope?
Just me then?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 pm

All very nice, and clever, (and in some cases, funny as feck)

These days I know feck all about synth models and signature sonics of them.... and frankly I've pretty much forgotten everything I used to know a decade or two ago....

So all I can go on is gut feeling on the content...

I reckon, based on factors other than choice of synth....
8 is Elf, and 9 is DaveB 11 is eddy deegan

and 13 is Folderol or CC

12 is effing brill and I think i recall a conversation with a chap in financial computing.... know his name and where he lives, but.... forgotten his forum ID>.... honest.....
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Me too, #12 is brilliant, I haven't listened to all of them yet but I will tomorrow, what I've heard is fab (and very intimidating to a guitar player) but I'm determined to at least attempt something for OSC#5.....).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:19 pm

Studio Support Gnome wrote:8 is Elf...
Oh no it isn't!
I really, REALLY like Track 8. I wish it *were* me! :lol:

All I will say is that I've pretended to be something that I'm very much not! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 am

Studio Support Gnome wrote: 11 is eddy deegan

Sorry Max, mine isn't 11 ;-)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:24 am

Sad to have missed out OSC 4, Another great selection of tracks - you should all be very proud!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As usual my synth guesses will be very wrong !

Track 1 - Heroic early 80s TV theme music - love the arpeggios :) perfectly put together - No idea on the synth
Track 2 - Sounds pretty big and fatI - some nice sounds - like the delicate flourishes in the backgroud - vintage Korg poly ??
Track 3 - Some complicated sounding chords in here and evolving textures - Loving the phased strings - Something modern - Peak ??
Track 4 - Some rhythmic synth crazyness here - this one is growing on me - Feeling like its a modern analog or VA synth
Track 5 - One of my favourites - I like the contrast between the gentle melody v crunching samples - Something very familiar about the kind of sounds on this. It sounds great, but I'm thinking it might be something quite humble ?
Track 6 - Very dramatic composition - sounds like an old classic polysynth.
Track 7 - Very interesting sounding rhythm, liking the way this sounds as a whole seems very well put together :)
Track 8 - Love this one to bits - couldn't help but pick up my guitar and jam along!
Intricately put together synthwave - Wonder what was used
Track 9 - Slightly disturbing (in a good way) gets quite spooky - sounds analog
Track 10 - Short & sweet would have liked a little more - Must have used a Japanese synthesizer so Korg Roland or Yamaha ;)
Track 11 - Another track that could have been a bit longer, Utterly joyful use of sounds - this is by someone that is 'in love' with synths!
Track 12 - Can't resognise the voice - brilliant - cant wait to find out who this is - Mono analog ?
Track 13 - I knew it would be here somwhere - as always a beautiful track from Will using Yoshimi :) :) ;)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:50 am

Well you would say that wouldn't you ;)

I have no idea how anyone is supposed to guess creator and weapon of choice......

talented bunch of tight lipped Gits aren't they ?
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

PreviousNext