You are here

Video software - ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora 9.3?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Video software - ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora 9.3?

Postby dickiefunk » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi,

I’m looking to start making and editing videos and am looking for advice on software. I am 100% brand new to this and am looking for something high quality to use.

I would like to be able to be able to create something with lots of shots tiled together for choir projects like this :-

https://youtu.be/bOT0_1d1f_U

I’ve been looking around at various free and cheap options and both ShotCut and DaVinci Free seem like the top free options and Filmora 9.3 seems like a good paid option.

I would like something very easy to use to start with but would like to be able to learn to do more advanced options as well. I would also like to record some of the audio separately with Cubase 10 and add the various video camera audio clips and be able to combine and mix this within the video editor so audio mixing/editing is also very important!

What would you recommend out of these three?

Is there a better alternative under £100?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Re: Video software - ShotCut vs DaVinci Free vs Filmora 9.3?

Postby James Perrett » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:11 pm

I've used both Shotcut and Da Vinci Resolve and, coming from a typical DAW, I wouldn't call either of them easy to use - but then I find the same with most video editors. It isn't that they are hard to use (my 8 year old son happily edits his videos in Resolve) but they work in a totally different way to a DAW and so I prefer to use Reaper for the video editing that I do.

However, if you want something that you aren't going to grow out of then I'd suggest going for Resolve - it seems far more professional out of the two.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:46 am

Thanks James. Have you had any experience with Filmora?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:07 am

dickiefunk wrote:Thanks James. Have you had any experience with Filmora?

No - my video needs are fairly simple and, now that I've discovered how much you can do in Reaper, I'm not really looking for anything else. If I was looking for a paid alternative I'd probably look at Vegas because it works in a similar way to a DAW.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:45 am

I’ve used Vegas for years. Sony bought the company, and Magix recently bought it from Sony and has a nice light version. It’s very similar to DAWs we know and love. That said, a friend of my wife’s put together a video in the same vein as your link using this software. I haven’t tried it yet, but there’s a free version to try out.

http://www.videosoftdev.com/video-editor-pro
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:59 am

Currently teaching myself a bit of editing. I downloaded Resolve and started going through the tutorials. It’s deep and much more than I need as a beginner.
But
I have an ipad and discovered LumaFusion. It is amazing what can be done with it. It is deep too but somehow much easier to learn and work with. Good tutorials online.
If I keep getting into the editing then I will probably switch over to Resolve for the deeper features when I’m ready. For now I’ll make the movies on the ipad and then pull them into Logic on the tower to put the final icing on the audio cake.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ceejay » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am

I came to video NLEs after a lifetime in film and videotape linear editing, but after a diversion into DAWs for audio recording and editing. As a result, as others have mentioned, Vegas was my choice because it started life as a DAW and so the thinking remains the same.

But now I'm gradually moving over to Resolve and find it a joy to use. Yes, it's deep, but you don't have to go there until you need to. You can start on the "Cut" page and achieve most of what you're after there. Then later move on to the more complex aspects if and when you need to. And it's constantly updated AND it's FREE!!!
ceejay
Regular

Postby Mike McLoone » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:03 am

Resolve may be free but what many people don't seem to realise is that this is professional software coming from colour grading, and they have a different approach to system usage than many of the other NLEs.

You only need to glance through their guide to see what they are recommending reflects this:

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... _Guide.pdf

The problem with Resolve on lower end systems is that it relies so much on the processing power of the graphics card, this will quickly become a bottleneck. Most professionals using it have two or more of the high-end NVidia cards.

Even though it is available for free, just be sure you have the hardware to run it comfortably before diving too deep.

Vegas is super fast, some of their new encoding is optimized for AMD and this is awesome. However, R17.0 crashes for me quite often. I read somewhere that the original coders left Sony/Magix and they are suffering as a result.

Best,
Mike
Mike McLoone
Regular
"It's all gone quiet." said Rhubarb "Not nearly quiet enough." said John Cage

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:29 am

I will be running this on a i9 9900K Scan Audio PC with 32GB RAM. The graphics card is built into the ASUS Z390 motherboard.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:13 pm

dickiefunk wrote:Hi,

I’m looking to start making and editing videos and am looking for advice on software. I am 100% brand new to this and am looking for something high quality to use.

All that's been said, but my additional $.10 are to try and prepare some test footage of the kind you will want to edit (say 4K/8K vs HD, ProRes vs h264, 8bit vs 10bit color) in the conditions you will operate it (SSD vs hard disk, graphic card, RAM, CPU etc) and test a few, in any sequence, until you find one that does not crash often. Don't limit yourself to a few second, have a significant amount of footage for testing - with video, size matters.

Once you find something that doesn't crash, stick with it.

I normally think testing tools is as interesting as watching paint dry, but while good video editors, a bit like DAWs, are pretty much equivalent functionally (in the sense that you can always find a way to your result), they are not yet so in terms of stability.

Worse, stability seems to depend a bit on your specific machine (and its graphic card) and the kind of footage you want to handle.

I guess that's because the sheer amount of data to handle is way higher than with anything audio - and there's not the benefit of an external, dedicated device like an audio interface where a lot of the complexity can be handled once and for all.

So if you have a BlackMagic 4K PCC and shoot 4K the answer you look can be different than if you want to edit your HD consumer camera footage.

Of the ones you mention, +1 for DaVinci. I don't use it because it crashes too much on my production machine, as opposite to Vegas that is way more stable with the stuff I do. But you'll find people experiencing exactly the opposite, so you've gotta try with your hardware.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:08 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I have an ipad and discovered LumaFusion. It is amazing what can be done with it. It is deep too but somehow much easier to learn and work with. Good tutorials online.

I've checked out Luma Fusion on the strength of this post and it's excellent. My iPad is pretty low-end but seems to handle all the (fairly simplistic) editing with no fuss. The slowest part of the process is getting media on/off the iPad with a wireless hard drive but that's a great excuse to make tea.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks guys. I'm going to give Shotcut a go first. I found this video made with ShotCut and it looks like it can do all that I want at the moment

https://youtu.be/4PRTUD8Au6A
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:02 pm

Maybe some of you video/music people can chime in about this -
I watched a lot of YouTube’s about editing video over and over again, trying out the techniques. The YouTube’s run the gamut from mostly self taught to the occasional person with a lot of experience but who assumes a certain level of experience in the viewer.
I was expecting editing video to be somewhat similar to editing music but there are some areas where it is really different. I’m still searching for ways to fill in those blanks.
Any suggestions for online courses or internet places to explore would be appreciated.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:15 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was expecting editing video to be somewhat similar to editing music but there are some areas where it is really different. I’m still searching for ways to fill in those blanks.
Any suggestions for online courses or internet places to explore would be appreciated.

Alas, I dont have any course suggestion (other than the manual of your NLE of choice) but what areas do you find different? Maybe it's possible to clarify these - it's usually easier to start from one or more specific problems..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 am

I use Joyoshare Media Cutter. It's a combination of video/audio cutter, editor, converter, and merger. It's very easy-to-use and cost-effective. By the way, a free trial version is given by it.

Next